How Tall Will He End Up?

A general forum for the discussion of hunting with beagles, guns, clothing and other equipment and just talking dawgs! (Tall tales on hunting allowed, but remember, first liar doesn't stand a chance)

Moderators: Pike Ridge Beagles, Aaron Bartlett

Uzala Hounds

How Tall Will He End Up?

Post by Uzala Hounds »

I have a pup out of a full 15 inch sire and a 13 inch dam. At 5 1/2 months the pup is about 11.5 inches tall. What sort of height is he on target to reach?

letumrun

Re: How Tall Will He End Up?

Post by letumrun »

if i had to say 13 to 13.5 just my guess.

Casey Harner

Post by Casey Harner »

all dogs are different, but from what I have seen at 6 months, they add a inch or more... but all dogs are different. I think your'll end up at a 13 1/2 inch dog... but who knows!
Isaiah 53:5
Philippians 3:13-14

RIP Harner's Briar Bashin' Blaze

Coal Run Jody
Harner’s Bush Whacker

Speed is fine, accuracy is final.

warddog

Post by warddog »

Someone posted on here awhile back a chart from the Beagles Canada Bulletin Board that showed what the eventual size of pups would be when compaired to their age in weeks to a minimum and a maximum weight. Does anyone have any insight as to how accurate this chart may be? I printed it off bacxk when I saw it but never paid any attention to it until the litter I have now.

BuschBound

Post by BuschBound »

I Have used the weight chart on my last litter and from the pup I ended up keeping at 8 weeks old he had all signs of being a 15"Males- and he turned out to be around 12 1/2. I have always said once they hit 6 months they normally got an 1" to an 1 1/2". Hope this helps. Dave.
Dave Martin- (906) 285-1740

fasttrackpa

Post by fasttrackpa »

I have had pretty consistant results when measuring at 6 months and add an inch. It may be off a little but it is dang close.
Andy Purnell-Dead River Beagles
FC Purnell's Greens Valley Dixie
FC Purnell's Dead River Rebel RIP
FCGD Dead River Hare Razin Ruby
FCGD Purnell's Dead River Ranger
FCGD Purnell's Dead River Bloo Bell

warddog

Post by warddog »

This chart only goes to 16 weeks or 4 months old and shows a male pup weighing between 11.2 and 14 pounds at 16 weeks to be on track to be a 15" dog and one weighing 9.8 to 11.8 pounds as on track to be a 13". My pups aren't but about 10 weeks old but appear to be less than even the 13" male weight right now. That's my reason for asking if anyone had any real experiance in using this chart to determine expected size of pups.

beagler29431

Post by beagler29431 »

I have also had good luck with adding an inch to their height at 6 months old. I've never seen one grow more than 2 inches taller than the measurement taken at 6 months old.

Just a few examples:

Had a female that was 11 inches tall at 6 months of age, she was 12 inches tall at 12 months of age.
Had a male that was 15 inches tall at 6 months of age, he was 16.5 inches tall at 12 months of age.
Had a female that was 13 inches tall at 6 months of age, she is 14 inches tall now (and 4 yrs old).