Can I change my females cycle time?

A general forum for the discussion of hunting with beagles, guns, clothing and other equipment and just talking dawgs! (Tall tales on hunting allowed, but remember, first liar doesn't stand a chance)

Moderators: Pike Ridge Beagles, Aaron Bartlett

rickk

Can I change my females cycle time?

Post by rickk »

Hey, Beaglers i need to know if I can get a shot or anything to change my females cycle time. Its January prime time bunny hunting and my best female is about to come in and I hate to have to put her away for three 3wks. It stinks. She is the glue that keeps my pack together. Is there anything I can do to change her cycle time?

yoteslayer

Re: Can I change my females cycle time?

Post by yoteslayer »

I did a search on yahoo and found this:

Is it possible to prevent my dog from going into heat?

There are drugs that can suppress the heat cycle. However, in most cases the benefit of the bitch skipping a season is outweighed by the many adverse side effects that occur with such drugs. Because of the serious health effects of drugs used to prevent heat, most veterinarians will suggest keeping the bitch locked up for the 2-3 weeks of her season, rather than risk her health.

Dont know if this helps you but you may want to ask your vet.

golden acres

Post by golden acres »

These drugs can have adverse effects. If you really want to change her heat cycle breed her, which should change her cycle in the future. From your post of her being the glue of your pack I would assume that you would find her qualities good enough to breed.
Golden Acre Supplies 616-813-0814 (Cell)
http://www.goldenacresupplies.com

Dave Swiger

Post by Dave Swiger »

golden acres wrote:These drugs can have adverse effects. If you really want to change her heat cycle breed her, which should change her cycle in the future. From your post of her being the glue of your pack I would assume that you would find her qualities good enough to breed.

My gyp just had a litter three months ago. At that time I did some research to find out if her cycle would change. Both internet and folks on the boards said no change in a dog cycle. I would be very interested in hearing another view.
Dave

C Clark

Post by C Clark »

I have a bitch that had a litter of pups in april she was bred on her regular heat at the end of february we just bred her again on her next heat but it wasn't till the end of november so I cant say this what changed her heat but something did and this is the only thing that changed for her. Just something to look at.

scottmi

Post by scottmi »

Put a piece of copper in her waterdish as soon as she comes out of heat. As long as ya leave it in there she wont come in and when you pull it out she will come in within 2-3 weeks.

Joeyman

Post by Joeyman »

rickk wrote:Hey, Beaglers i need to know if I can get a shot or anything to change my females cycle time. Its January prime time bunny hunting and my best female is about to come in and I hate to have to put her away for three 3wks. It stinks. She is the glue that keeps my pack together. Is there anything I can do to change her cycle time?
i'm in the same boat. one of my best came in heat. she stays home. thats just how it is.
Missouri rabbits running for their lives!!!!

Give us a like on FACEBOOK search for Track Em Down Kennels

bluecollar beagler

Post by bluecollar beagler »

same here!! i have a female that i know will come in the first of november every year right at the beginning of rabbit season... your best bet is not to mess with mother nature or she will come back to bite you....!!!! just part of having females..

rickk

Post by rickk »

I did breed her in June and hoped she might change her cycle time but she is on a 6mth schedule. Same as last year. June and January. How u guys feel about spading her. Does that effect her hunting skills? I did keep one female pup from her and have 6 dogs now that i can barely keep up with and dont need more for a few years.

allniter

Post by allniter »

SCOTTMI---you r going to have to stop smoking that stuff it is starting show---lol
ALWAY GO BY THE RULES AND NEVER A PROBLEM

Aaron Bartlett
Site Admin

Post by Aaron Bartlett »

scottmi wrote:Put a piece of copper in her waterdish as soon as she comes out of heat. As long as ya leave it in there she wont come in and when you pull it out she will come in within 2-3 weeks.
And I have some swamp land in Florida I will sell someone who believes that!
Crane Creek Kennels

Bull_357

Post by Bull_357 »

Put her with a female that has a different cycle time they usually will change and correspond to one another. Could've a good thing for you or a horrible one if they both go in January. All my coyote hound females were withing a week or two of each other when I did this. Don't have the issue with my female beagle comes in at end of season and right before it.
Contenderized

JCM

Post by JCM »

I gave a female the pills to put off her heat cycle two years ago. A year later she raised a litter of pups with no problems. I am not saying it will always work but it sure worked out great for me the one time I did it.

TallPaul

Post by TallPaul »

Mine will miss or delay a cycle, whenever I give them a annual 7 way booster or when I treat them with Liberty flea and tick drops.
Beagling is not a science, just an opinion!

scottmi

Post by scottmi »

allniter wrote:SCOTTMI---you r going to have to stop smoking that stuff it is starting show---lol

Thats what some guys told me and they swear by it. Was hopin someone else would try it and let me know if it really works.