Getting Some New Blood

A general forum for the discussion of hunting with beagles, guns, clothing and other equipment and just talking dawgs! (Tall tales on hunting allowed, but remember, first liar doesn't stand a chance)

Moderators: Pike Ridge Beagles, Aaron Bartlett

likeemfast

Re: Getting Some New Blood

Post by likeemfast »

littlewoody, a 19month old male out of Butkus selling for $150, i would say the previous owner put enough time into him to realize he was only worth less than a puppy price out of that original breeding. Beaglerof4, good luck with him, hope he starts coming along for you.
Home of

HOF GRHBCH Dizzy D's Kickin Up Dust
HOF GRHBCH Dizzy D's Ugly Sister
HOF GRHBCH Dizzy D's Top Notch Lacy
(aka UKC HBCH Red Oak Top Notch Lacy)

littlewoody

Post by littlewoody »

likeemfast wrote:littlewoody, a 19month old male out of Butkus selling for $150, i would say the previous owner put enough time into him to realize he was only worth less than a puppy price out of that original breeding. Beaglerof4, good luck with him, hope he starts coming along for you.
I know guys tbat only run there dogs when it hunting time. The hound sit there in the kennel rest of the time. Then say the dog no good. You have to work your dogs year around ask any trialer.
TheJohnBirchSociety

RunninHard

Post by RunninHard »

That sucks Jimmy, Good luck with him, Karma is a :censored:

Casey Harner

Post by Casey Harner »

littlewoody wrote:
likeemfast wrote:littlewoody, a 19month old male out of Butkus selling for $150, i would say the previous owner put enough time into him to realize he was only worth less than a puppy price out of that original breeding. Beaglerof4, good luck with him, hope he starts coming along for you.
I know guys tbat only run there dogs when it hunting time. The hound sit there in the kennel rest of the time. Then say the dog no good. You have to work your dogs year around ask any trialer.
Bucks Better Beagles always said some dogs have it while others don't.
Isaiah 53:5
Philippians 3:13-14

RIP Harner's Briar Bashin' Blaze

Coal Run Jody
Harner’s Bush Whacker

Speed is fine, accuracy is final.

warddog

Post by warddog »

I've got two young dogs here that are identical to this one in that they were started as 6 month old pups BUT I got tied up with work and other issues that they look like they have never been on a rabbit. Now the littermates to mine are ALL doing a bang up job so it's there but beings so much time has elapsed it is like teaching an old dog new tricks. They looked so stupid the first time out that I called the guy that started them again to make sure he didn't have these dogs mixed up with others he had started in his pen and he looked back through his log to tell me they bioth started and even caught rabbits in his pen in 4 days time in there. These dogs lack of knowledge is no ones fault but my own as I never got them in the filed when they needed it most BUT were they started, YES according to the frined of mine that did so. Will they do much now NO and sound alot like what is described here. The female is getting in some and opening a little but the male has shown me nothing as of yet other than a sight chase. A dog being lightly started could very well be the case at one time but if laid up for a period of time that goes out the window and you are starting from scratch. I don't like it but I have no one to blame but myself and as some have said I'm not a trailer so I don't put the continual hours on one in the first place. I'll also tell foks that I have seen beagles not start until up to three years old and then all of a sudden the light turns on and they are top shelf. Most won't mess with them that long as it is pretty discouraging and even worse now that feed is so high BUT if not given the chance don't blame the dog especially if it is bred up like this one and the ones I have are. :crossfingers:

likeemfast

Post by likeemfast »

hey beaglerof 4, couple guys here mentioned it, they wanna know if the guy you bought him off is a trialer, or a guy who kennels his dogs till rabbit season
Home of

littlewoody

Post by littlewoody »

likeemfast wrote:hey beaglerof 4, couple guys here mentioned it, they wanna know if the guy you bought him off is a trialer, or a guy who kennels his dogs till rabbit season
I'm not a trialer just a hunter but i make time for my hounds.
TheJohnBirchSociety

likeemfast

Post by likeemfast »

good for you little woody, me too
Home of

19rabbit52

Post by 19rabbit52 »

I run my dogs quite a bit now days but years ago only ran when rabbit hunting. That's when young ones got trained and we had good rabbit dogs. Also, my Grandpa had a lab for a pet. When she turned 5 my Grandparents started going to Florida for winter. never hunted til we started keeping her in the fall and winter. One of the best pheasant dogs I ever saw.

smokedawg

Post by smokedawg »

My opinion has usually been either a hound has it or they don't. However, there are always exceptions to the rule especially if the hound has had many hours in the field. When I was a kid, we rabbit hunted or ran dogs all the time. My father was old school and expected a lot out of a hound. We had a beautiful male pup that was out of 2 of our best rabbit dogs and we could not get him to run a rabbit. Back then nobody had a running pen so we started all ours in the field ourselves when we wasn't hunting. Well, this big male got to be over a year old and my daddy gave up on him. Tried to give him to everybody in our area and nobody would take him cause they hunted with us and figured if he wouldn't start for us, what was he gonna do for them. So daddy gave up, turned him out of the dog yard and removed his collar and just let him run loose on the farm. He ate table scraps in the back yard and dad hoped somebody would steal him or he would just run off and not come back. Well, we started hearing him running at night but we were not sure what he was doing but man he would be running the hair off something, just hammerin it all night long. Come to find out he is running rabbits all night every night so we just let him run out til hunting season started and we started hunting him. Turns out he could run a rabbit better than anything we had and hold on to it. Sometimes he would run right through a check and not check at all.Beat all we ever saw. Daddy still laughs about it to this day and that was over 25 years ago. Also, he would not run nothing but a rabbit and if anything else ran trash he would come back and jump up on your leg with his front paws and then would go jump a rabbit. I dont know if he broke himself off deer from running loose on the farm so much or just didnt want to run them but he never ran nothing but a rabbit as long as we hunted him and back them we had some big grade saddleback beagles that would run a fox as good as any foxhound i have seen. We did not have e-collars back then so we used all kind of backwoods methods for trashbreaking with very little longterm success so this dog suddenly became valuable. His only fault that I could find was that he never wanted to quit and come to the truck. Maybe because he was used to doing it his way when he was running loose on the farm, or maybe he was just hard headed. We had to either shoot the rabbit he was running and grab him when he came through on the line, or stand where the rabbit crossed and try to jump on him when he came by cause he would not quit as long as the rabbit was up and moving. Daddy would just throw his hunting coat on the ground where we turned out and he would be laying on it the next morning and looked like he was half dead from running all night. However, most of the ones we couldn't get to start early turned out to just not have it and never amounted to anything, but there are exceptions to every rule.

bill huttozac

Post by bill huttozac »

Beaglerof4 - You just learned a lesson that most all of have learned before. Even though you was not burnt for a lot cash, remember the lesson that you bought and paid for. The dog is a nice looking one and maybe it is a "late bloomer". Try before you buy.

deerhost

Post by deerhost »

I like to start and fool around with pups. I don't keep but a hand full of dogs. Some pups I start are a little to hard hitting for me but some are a little easy going and being I don't keep very many they must fit right in to what I have. So from time to time I may have a started pup or running young dog that just doesn't fit in to what I'm running. When I do sell, I either give them away for free, and I have so on this board or offer it to a new young beagler or if I do sell it I tell the buyer give me the cash and take the dog for a week or two. If you are not happy then bring the dog back and I'll give you your money back. Anytime you buy a dog and the buyer doesn't offer to do this, you are taking a big risk. Don't get me wrong if you show up to my house to buy a dog and you look real shady then I won't sell you the dog for any amount of money. The dogs well being is the most important thing to me. thats why I want the buyer to be happy, I don't want a dog dumped on the side of a road because the person is not happy with him. ...Deerhost

Casey Harner

Post by Casey Harner »

littlewoody wrote:
likeemfast wrote:hey beaglerof 4, couple guys here mentioned it, they wanna know if the guy you bought him off is a trialer, or a guy who kennels his dogs till rabbit season
I'm not a trialer just a hunter but i make time for my hounds.

Was it you that said you only buy pups out of parents with titles? If so then why do you not trial then?

If it wasn't you then I apologize.
Isaiah 53:5
Philippians 3:13-14

RIP Harner's Briar Bashin' Blaze

Coal Run Jody
Harner’s Bush Whacker

Speed is fine, accuracy is final.

likeemfast

Post by likeemfast »

i dont know what kind of pups he buys, but he sure likes highlighting my posts, i think he likes me :cool:
Home of

lebro

Post by lebro »

likeemfast wrote:i dont know what kind of pups he buys, but he sure likes highlighting my posts, i think he likes me :cool:
heck i nevermet you but i like you too :cool: beaglers are likable people.
broad ridge blaze,critter, delta, everstrong