Interesting genetic fact or fiction

A general forum for the discussion of hunting with beagles, guns, clothing and other equipment and just talking dawgs! (Tall tales on hunting allowed, but remember, first liar doesn't stand a chance)

Moderators: Pike Ridge Beagles, Aaron Bartlett

tdog

Interesting genetic fact or fiction

Post by tdog »

I was reading some genetic information on a reproduction site and it said that the male determines the sex of the puppies.
Since then I have been keeping track of the pups out of my stud and have found this to be true so far. Here are the litters results so far.
litter 1 Females 4 Males 2
litter2 Females 1 Males 4
litter3 Females 4 Males 2
litter4 Females 4 Males 3
litter5 Females 5 Males 2
litter6 Females 3 Males 2
litter7 Females 2 Males 1
litter8 Females 6 Males 4

Every litter except 1 had more females than males
With my results my male produces more females than males per litter.
I would say it is true the male determines what the sex the pups will be..

beaglerof4

Re: Interesting genetic fact or fiction

Post by beaglerof4 »

Good to know!! Thanks for sharing. What the heck do you do with all them pups? Just wondering because I know how hard it can be to sell them, even with good pedigrees and papers.

Swamper AR

Post by Swamper AR »

I know its true that the male determines sex but how does that correlate with the number of females you have in your litters. Don't see how that proves it. Me and a buddy prefer to keep mostly females and it seems like all our litters have larger numbers of males!
If I agreed with you then we'd both be wrong.

Woodhavenrabbitdogs

Post by Woodhavenrabbitdogs »

Swamper thats just Murphey's Law in work there LOL,, and yes the male detirmines the sex of the pups cause the sperm either carrys an X or Y chromosone
Rodney E Miller
Central Ohio
Woodhaven Captain Howdy
Woodhaven White Trailer Trish
Wapajo Hermione

Crow

Post by Crow »

Female sex determination is xx chromosome. Male is xy. Males carry each while females only have x. The male is the determining factor on off spring gender since he is the only source for a y chromosome.

Mo. Beagler 5000

Post by Mo. Beagler 5000 »

I think what confuses a lot of people in biology and genetics is this point.. YES the male determines sex but its not like a male usually puts out more male or female sperm...

THe probablity is always going to be around 50 percent except when introduced to certain chemicals (hormones) or there is a problem....

One stud doesn't throw males and one females, the law of probablility allows for random chance. A stud could produces 100 males and 0 females but the probablity is in the trillions...
God isn't real, Beer is good and people are crazy, there I fixed it.

bucks better beagles

Post by bucks better beagles »

To say a stud determines sex is misleading. There is no consciences choice being made. I think MoBeagler has it right. If you have a thousand breedings from the same pair, you would probably come out about 50/50.

Steve Mikkelson

Post by Steve Mikkelson »

Last edited by Steve Mikkelson on Mon Dec 31, 2012 8:56 am, edited 1 time in total.
Cut'em loose

NLPC & IFC Riley's Rolling Trails

tdog

Post by tdog »

This is interesting so far. Lets spice it up a little.. Female nine has just had a litter and we have not checked the sex of the pups yet. I am wanting a male bad out of this litter. There are five pups what do you think the ratio of males and females will be. I say 3 females and 2 males. This is not my female and the owner said he wanted to wait a couple days til she settled down before checking. He lost two at birth a male and a female. What are the last 3 pups??????

I say 1 male 2 female

I will update the post when I find out.....

Mo. Beagler 5000

tdog wrote:This is interesting so far. Lets spice it up a little.. Female nine has just had a litter and we have not checked the sex of the pups yet. I am wanting a male bad out of this litter. There are five pups what do you think the ratio of males and females will be. I say 3 females and 2 males. This is not my female and the owner said he wanted to wait a couple days til she settled down before checking. He lost two at birth a male and a female. What are the last 3 pups??????

I say 1 male 2 female

I will update the post when I find out.....
Well you have a 50/50 shot with each of the three pups. 50/50 pup one 50/50 pup two and 50/50 pup three....

Here is your equation:
d - c 1
P([c, d]) = ------- = ------- (d - c)
b - a b - a

You have a 7/8th chance of having a male pup. Just took my best student and a math teacher to figure that out :lol: :lol:

Mo. Beagler 5000

Another way of stating it is like this:

Yuu could have this combination:

MMM
MMF
MFF
MFM
FFF
FFM
FMM
FMF

Add your Ms and Fs and volla :nod:
God isn't real, Beer is good and people are crazy, there I fixed it.

littlewoody

Post by littlewoody »

Crow wrote:Female sex determination is xx chromosome. Male is xy. Males carry each while females only have x. The male is the determining factor on off spring gender since he is the only source for a y chromosome.
That is also true with humans .
TheJohnBirchSociety

tdog

Post by tdog »

She had 2 males and 1 female..

Mapel Valley Kennels LLC.

Post by Mapel Valley Kennels LLC. »

Not to sound old but,time of day and days in heat proved true too me for several years. Just saying.it's magic I suppose just a old hounds men trick I learned 30 yrs ago.
When the moment of truth arrives, the point of preparation has passed.
Old School, Full Throttle ,No Bottle.

S.R.Patch

Post by S.R.Patch »

"Seven brides for seven brothers"... :lol:

We change bulls for size of calve issues and lack of heifer calves.

It's interesting to note families that have a preponderance of boys or girls down through the family lines. That's why I always enjoyed going to family reunions :D