Interesting genetic fact or fiction

A general forum for the discussion of hunting with beagles, guns, clothing and other equipment and just talking dawgs! (Tall tales on hunting allowed, but remember, first liar doesn't stand a chance)

Moderators: Pike Ridge Beagles, Aaron Bartlett

pilotknob

Re: Interesting genetic fact or fiction

Post by pilotknob »

Old time breeders swore that if you breed early in a females heat cycle,you'ed get more females.Late in the cycle would give you more males.I've tried it don't know if it works or not.I have bred older females and just left them in with a male because I was afraid I would miss them.Seemed like when I did this I had a larger % of females.But I've only done this a few times,I might of just gotten lucky.

tdog

Post by tdog »

That is very interesting that you would change bulls.. Did it work? I know the scientific side says 50/50 but my parents had us four boys. I bet I would have more brothers if they would have keep going...

Ky. Hunter

Post by Ky. Hunter »

Could it be possible that your dog carries a lot more y's than x's in his sperm and that would give him a greater chance of getting more males. I stood my male stud 3 times and he thru a total of 6 females out of 19 pups.

Mo. Beagler 5000

Post by Mo. Beagler 5000 »

Ky. Hunter wrote:Could it be possible that your dog carries a lot more y's than x's in his sperm and that would give him a greater chance of getting more males. I stood my male stud 3 times and he thru a total of 6 females out of 19 pups.
Highly unlikely----- But with certain environmental toxins or in the presence of certain hormones I suppose its possible but not confirmed by science yet...

For instance, some things like BPH (i think) and other chemicals pre disposition older females to have a tiny tiny tiny more probability of having males. Its very very small but still there...
God isn't real, Beer is good and people are crazy, there I fixed it.

Alabama John

Post by Alabama John »

Maple Valley and Pilot knob, you both are right on. Time of breeding is important.

In raising hogs, horses, cows, you must shop for a sire that throws what sex you are wanting the most of. After many breedings that percentage will be set in fact and not be guesswork. That's why serious breeders pay more for a PROVEN stud. That is what PROVEN means, not like some think it means that that male will breed, heck, they all will breed if given the chance. Proven you cut the odds in your favor.

Salzer mtn

Post by Salzer mtn »

I have always heard the father determines the sex in children. My dad's father and mother had ten boys and two girls. One girl was the oldest of the ten and one girl was the youngest of the ten. These same grandparents on my fathers side had thirty two grand children, twenty boys and 12 girls.

tdog

Post by tdog »

It seems that there are males that tend to throw more of one sex than the other. I think it may be easier to determine the sex they throw more in animals that are breed often.. maybe I will get a chance to breed him some more and see what he throws. Kinda fun just seeing what we get... :eyes:

Crow

Post by Crow »

littlewoody wrote:
Crow wrote:Female sex determination is xx chromosome. Male is xy. Males carry each while females only have x. The male is the determining factor on off spring gender since he is the only source for a y chromosome.
That is also true with humans .
It is true of mammals, I think insects, reptiles, & birds may be a different story but don't have much info on them.

Mo. Beagler 5000

Alabama John wrote:Maple Valley and Pilot knob, you both are right on. Time of breeding is important.

In raising hogs, horses, cows, you must shop for a sire that throws what sex you are wanting the most of. After many breedings that percentage will be set in fact and not be guesswork. That's why serious breeders pay more for a PROVEN stud. That is what PROVEN means, not like some think it means that that male will breed, heck, they all will breed if given the chance. Proven you cut the odds in your favor.

Not be a science weenie here and keep questioning this thread but do you have a scientific study proving time matters or that there are studs that it is PROVEN to throw one sex... Its not possible unless they genetically modified an animal to throw more of one sex in which case its currently illegal in edible animals.

No matter what there is a 50/50 chance of having one or the other with a chance of Hermaphroditism in there as well.. Even if a dog threw 100 males and 0 females the next time there is still a 50 50 shot at a female.. I am aware of nothing scientificly proven yet that supports these theories. I have read studies proving time of mating and all the other myths are false..

I guess I just like to see things proven and not just anecdotal.. I wish I could get a dog who proves that it can throw more of one sex. It would be PRICELESS to a University.. I asked a biology professor at MU yesterday about this and she told me she knows of nothing that is proven about male/female production

littlewoody

Post by littlewoody »

I wonder if dog food has something to do with low sperm .
TheJohnBirchSociety

Woodhavenrabbitdogs

Post by Woodhavenrabbitdogs »

diet and enviromental factor do have a factor just as in all other mammals but its not that the stud throws more of one or the other, its that the strength or viability of the XX or XY cells is stronger than the other, there are studys to show this with google searches on several different breeds of animals.
Rodney E Miller
Central Ohio
Woodhaven Captain Howdy
Woodhaven White Trailer Trish
Wapajo Hermione

jerry kelly

Post by jerry kelly »

trevor

one factor i think you missed, did you count the pups that died at birth, if not your numbers are off,
just a thought

jerry
RABBIT RIDGE KENNELS HOME OF
GRHBCH RABBIT RIDGE CLETUS A.K.A. (SMOKE )
RABBIT RIDGE Big Luke
RABBIT RIDGE RAMBO
RABBIT RIDGE PHINE
RABBIR RIDGE Doc
RABBIT RIDGE RANGER ANN
RABBIT RIDGE LIL

Alabama John

Post by Alabama John »

Mo, Beagler,

Check out the cattle or other livestock magazines. Some senior herd bulls throw more cows and some more bulls. Breeders look for the one that will cut the odds for them getting more of what they want.

The key word is MORE, not all.

I don't think there are any that will give all of any one kind. If there was, they would sell for a fortune to dairies and such.

Mo. Beagler 5000

Alabama John wrote:Mo, Beagler,

Check out the cattle or other livestock magazines. Some senior herd bulls throw more cows and some more bulls. Breeders look for the one that will cut the odds for them getting more of what they want.

The key word is MORE, not all.

I don't think there are any that will give all of any one kind. If there was, they would sell for a fortune to dairies and such.

Cool-- It was only a matter of time I suppose till they figured how to engineer one either through natural selection or hormones to get the desired result- I enjoy reading about stuff like that and I can use the articles for my biology kids. I'll have to check it out. Thanks!!

S.R.Patch

Post by S.R.Patch »

We have learned that some males seem to have the predisposition to throw a larger % of certain sex in the offspring.... thus the old saying, "someone dogging my trail"
I believe in the "overall" population, it evens out tho...because through the grape vines you'll hear, "John just got 5 Female and 2 male in a litter and Steve just got 4 male and 1 female in his liter, thus... 2m+4m=6m ... 5f+1f=6f ... total= 6 males and 6 females= 50/50

Timing may also have effect and sometimes I've wondered about additives to the feeds,...but with cattle, we just turn the bull out and he knows when the girls are right. :bigsmile: