Woodstock Grampy

A general forum for the discussion of hunting with beagles, guns, clothing and other equipment and just talking dawgs! (Tall tales on hunting allowed, but remember, first liar doesn't stand a chance)

Moderators: Pike Ridge Beagles, Aaron Bartlett

Randy Osborne

Woodstock Grampy

Post by Randy Osborne »

Would like to hear from hunters that have ran with woodstock grampy of years back or have a strong line of this breeding into their dogs and or have hunted with this line of dogs. I would like to know about nose,foot,line control,etc. I heard of this dog from years back,but have not personaly seen any. Would they be good on cottontail? Thanks

Mapel Valley Kennels LLC.

Re: Woodstock Grampy

Post by Mapel Valley Kennels LLC. »

I have run with them for years and like em alot, exceptional rabbit dogs..Full of hunt and bottom end.
When the moment of truth arrives, the point of preparation has passed.
Old School, Full Throttle ,No Bottle.

island hare chas'r

Post by island hare chas'r »

DITTO
AND THEY LOOK GOOD BLK/TAN :P

fjg2

Post by fjg2 »

alot of nose / bottom / control hellva hunting stock, they hunt very hard!!

med fast / Pappy would run rabbits as fast as any dog can but with PURE control ........no over running and no slashing around on a check

may not have always been the first dog on the line but if the others stepped off he would clean their clock FAST

very personable hounds too!

Lewis Long campained New york Knick off Grampy, i guess he blew thru the midwest. Big stout built black and tan.He has kept the line strong and pure as snow for years.

windsplitters

Post by windsplitters »

Most of my dogs are granppy bred everyone described them as i see it also

Darryl

Post by Darryl »

The line is pretty central to NY seems that quality has dried up . There was alot of negative talk when he won the akc Nats aslo.
Home of
FTCH Branko's Cornflower (sold)
FTCH Branko's Jimmy D
FTCH Branko's Bronson (rip)
FTCH Martin's LP 2Spot
IFC Branko's Dubonnet

Ya know I really don't know why granpy line would be questioned in NY. Tell ya what I know about my friend John,he is in his 80s a very kneen mind and will walk most guys to death. I have always cherised my time with the ol Yankee. He also has been inducted into the aka large pack hall of fame. John just shoots em straight and speaks him mind. He has a family that has also walked his path in his beagle life. I hope someday to know what he has forgot about dogs. Ya know that's just the way life goes with trialing when the world is yours and it was his at least part of it. Then ol father time sneaks up on ya with another line and fresh young faces a judging. It's not just John it's a lot of our elders that built the road we have been able too drive on. John always told me of days gone by judging the greats we all have only seen in pedigrees. So at the end of my life I always hope John knows he has shed a lot of somewhat darkness about this sport and how people hate a winner, that started with a vision and didn't bred to favorites he held true for the last 30 years and sent a lot packing to the box trial after trial.Keep on trucking ol man I got your back :nod:..................

cegibbs

Post by cegibbs »

had a male out of grannpy and rheaumes lassie med speed line control with NOSE won my first arha progressive pack trial with him also took a second in a arha large pack checked the faster dogs to death only two trials he was entered in

chapkosbeagles

Post by chapkosbeagles »

Them are some kind words jimmy

I like the grnappy stuff to

foothills

Post by foothills »

I know John better than most, have plenty of "pap" blood in my yard. Like it is stated above, line control, check ability, and bottom like few others out there. The negativity came mostly from paps former owner who couldnt see pass his belly to realize what he had. The "knock" on the dog was he was slow, not enoough speed for large pack. What people failed to realize is that he wasnt slow, but as fast as conditions dictated. He ran with alot of control, and was very efficiant in the way ran. Not alot of wasted motion. That line has been the same since Pap was born in 1988. Like Maple Valley said, John doesnt pull any punches, and the man has taught me so much in sport and I owe him alot for that. Thanks John................Sean
FC Cooper's Harebawl Daisy...RIP
FC Fulcount Tomeka...RIP
Nr.FC Beaver River Big Mouth
NLPC FC Steve's Little Tracer (finished 3/3/14)
Nr.FC Steve's Little Smartie...RIP
FTCH Abbott's Poker Face

Darryl

Post by Darryl »

I read alot of Better Beagling books from the past and use to see alot more dogs of that breeding being offered at stud and placing at trials, then i do now hence the drying up statement. I know that Mazy dog on here forsale awhile back was a good one.
Home of
FTCH Branko's Cornflower (sold)
FTCH Branko's Jimmy D
FTCH Branko's Bronson (rip)
FTCH Martin's LP 2Spot
IFC Branko's Dubonnet

Ya know I think a lot is John had a vision and nobody else has carried it on, ol Johns had a few medical issues and his wife had a stroke a few years back. Johns in his 80s still a heck of a man.just kinda like the ol saying one generation makes it and one spends it. Lewis Long has also slowed down a lot on trailing but still runs dogs almost everyday. Other than those two fellas granpy blood shows in a lot of pedigrees just not close up. At least in my opinion, not to tell on myself but I was running with Lewis at his grounds we had had none stop for about 6 hrs up a hill and down a hill. My dog didn't quit but he sure wanted too, Lewis had a bitch down that was still tugging hew strap at days end and mine was done. Never forget it Lewis said "That Bitch checked his oil huh" Yes she did I answered Yes she did. :nod: Grade A Fellas.

Randy Osborne

Post by Randy Osborne »

Does anybody have phone numbers for Lewis Long or some of the guys that posted and had a lot of grampy bred lines in their dogs? I'm looking for full 15" dogs with BIG NOSE, line control and foot. I think I would like some Buck Shot Mr. Bills too I think, from what I hereof them. I also tried to get some dogs from Joe Wingate, but he didnt have any at this time, for what I was looking for. I'm trying to find a good line of 15" dogs and I'm knew to knowing the ends and outs of the different lines.I will consider a little smaller dogs to get quality if needed though, but prefer the 15" dogs. I had walker dogs most of my life that I cat and fox hunted. I have had a few beagles here and there, but not serious about changing over to beagles like now. I'm in the deep south (FL) and will be running cottontail. Any good information or suggestions would be great.I have been taking my time for awhile looking, as I dont want just dogs! My main objective is gun hunting dogs not trial dogs, with maybe a trail here and there. Thanks

fjg2

Post by fjg2 »

Darryl wrote:I read alot of Better Beagling books from the past and use to see alot more dogs of that breeding being offered at stud and placing at trials, then i do now hence the drying up statement. I know that Mazy dog on here forsale awhile back was a good one.
some of your observations are correct others very inaccurate! This blood line has far from "dryed" up; its much more accurate to notice a large majority of the fellas judging in recent years dont see anything but 1,2,3,4,5 they dont even try to evaluate hunt / checks / control or handling qualities.

yes, we dont see as many granppy dogs placing as much as we used too and less stud ads.
John Otruba did not offer pappy to public stud for very long as he found it to be a real major PITA
John is not into beagling for the money or selling pups / running dogs
He breeds for his own desires and development of the hunting dog as he sees fit.

You wont see as many of his hounds placing
today as yesteryear simply because at near 80 he doesnt attend as many and his type of hound will not be seen wrecklessly banging on the front; if trial judges are used that are not hunters then these fellas dont see or value control/hunt or checkwork

I know one thing for SURE; go out with any group of hunters and those pappy dogs will catch plenty of admiration! But for those fellas that only run / trial in pens year round or only go afield 2 or 3 times all rabbit season; the answer is NO this line of hounds will not be what you are looking for; these are not rabbit herding dogs they are for hunting!!

John Otruba 518-494-3247
Lewis Long 859-792-6333