Woodstock Grampy

A general forum for the discussion of hunting with beagles, guns, clothing and other equipment and just talking dawgs! (Tall tales on hunting allowed, but remember, first liar doesn't stand a chance)

Moderators: Pike Ridge Beagles, Aaron Bartlett

Mapel Valley Kennels LLC.

Re: Woodstock Grampy

Post by Mapel Valley Kennels LLC. »

Nice post man.
When the moment of truth arrives, the point of preparation has passed.
Old School, Full Throttle ,No Bottle.

fjg2

Post by fjg2 »

Wicker's Beagles

Post by Wicker's Beagles »

John Otruba & Lewis Long were both at my house back in 2002 to pick up a choice female pup from my litter out of Knick.

I still got some of it here in Southern Ohio, I'm 100 miles straight south of Columbus, Ohio in the center of the state ..... I own and still run two Black & Tan males from that litter straight out of FC Rabbit Ridge New York Knick ( Knick was straight out of Granppy) the mother of these two males was from a IFC Mark V's Ace in the Hole / FTC The Elms Jiggs Maggie Mate cross..... These two male were 10 years old in May of 2012 and are still able to hunt,jump and run with most anything they are put down with and can still do it without embarrassing themselves. They can occasionally make the youngsters look stupid by still grabbing the front end on them and showing them the line on the toughest of scenting conditions ........

Additionally I have a Black & Tan three year old female that is a grandaughter to FC Rabbit Ridge New York Knick and she has three crosses of IFC Trakarab Pacesetter in her 4 generation pedigree, this female is 15" of extreme hunt , run to catch rabbit dog.... She can grab a check and drive it out so hard that the other dogs on the ground will be seeing nothing but her rearend , I've ran her for 6 hours three days in a row and she has no bottom , she will absolutely run most dogs into the ground and still be trotting around with springy legs searching for another rabbit to run.....

I plan to make a line bred cross between one of these old males and this flashy three year old female this spring , most people running dogs nowadays don't have a clue as to the high powered hunt, drive, big nose with brains, accuracy, endurance and huge houndy mouths this line of dogs have..... I'll have a nice line bred generation soon to carry on the tradition...... If any of you want any of these proposed granppy bred pups be sure to let me know as I usually won't keep but two pups for myself at a time to train....

foxxy

Post by foxxy »

i hav a male thats line bred grampy on top and primetime on bottom
thats a black and tank with white markings
i really like and from reading all theese post sounds like what i like about him comes from the grampy side
nose no bottom end will run as fast as scent lets him
DNA Jenny
Windy Ridge Lightning
Coal Runs Bowser
Coal Runs Lacey
Coal Runs Cappy
Coal Runs Amp
Coal Runs Yoshi
Lp r ch Turbos Grand Pappy Happy

Collins Country

Post by Collins Country »

Lewis told me once thT Granpy wasn't that fast, he just knew how to run a rabbit!
Robert Collins
Eubank, KY
606-383-2767

http://collinscountryky.tripod.com/

chapkosbeagles

Post by chapkosbeagles »

Guy some of u act like 6 hours on a hound is alot of time but as soon as the snow flys hound should have no problum running 12 hour days

I sold this betsey dog all line breed grnappy I ran her llast winter every day 6 days a week she was always strong late in them long days

fjg2

Post by fjg2 »

I have heard some fellas state they didnt think pappy was fast; everybody has their own likes and dislikes; some of us like blondes some like redheads :bigsmile:

I can tell you one thing for sure; numerous times when I heard that statement and then watched a hound run which someone else thought was fast, I saw a dog that needed pack mates to recover the loss or was a reaching hare switching fool. I once ran with a guy from Rome that had a fire breathing dragon, he was a hare switcher deluxe! We just happened to be running at the end of March when hare are changing colors, this dog would start a pure white hare and half a circle later we were watching him run one with a big brown patch on its back LOL the fella didnt care either as long as the dog was smokin "something"

I hate getting set-up in the right spot to kill a hare I have missed on a couple of previous passes only to discover the hound has switched hare and now we can start a brand new pattern !@#$%^@#$%^&*() :bash:

A good hound IMHO is one that can solo the same hare / rabbit steadily for at least two hours & more(clock time not "feels like time") most anytime you take him out. Hare can be a tough creature, they dont wait for a dog to fix a check, they keep right on trucking; thats how the hare ditches a fox or coyote. I see hounds all the time which each check gets longer and longer until the race is over, a good hunting hound can not afford to waste precious minutes wrecklessly looking for the track in places it is not!

I tell my hunting commarades two things:

If you shot a deer and were trailing infrequent blood spots; how would you look for the next spot? randomly all over 30 yards & more away from the last spot of blood or would you more methodically employ a search pattern which involves staying within reach of the last sign of the game?

I equate a hounds style to an egg and spoon race; you can only run as fast as you can keep the egg on the spoon; sprinting to the finish line without the egg is worth nothing.

at then end of the day; if we are proud of our hunting hounds; then we had fun! if other fellas have better (and i have admired plenty of them and bred to them as a result) then I want some of that blood too "if" its line bred anyway. :approve:

Wicker's Beagles

Post by Wicker's Beagles »

I would agree that 6 hours running in your table top flat running ground such as is located everywhere in michigan may not seem difficult , but down here in southern Ohio we have huge steep Appalachian Hills that will quickly test a dog's endurance and your own if you attempt to gun hunt it... Run your hound for three consecutive 6 hour days in these foothills covered in seressa grass & multiflora rose and you'll soon figure out what lines of dogs have the power and endurance to continue ..... I've tried most of the lines out there and the Granppy bred stuff can take the abuse and punishment this hilly gut wrenching terrain offers.....

I am with you Wick bring them hounds to Eastern Ky and we will see how long the hounds last, not only do fast dogs not really factor in on The places we run But them hills are a bitzh for hours on end.They can occasionally strecth bot most there time is spent trying to figure out which way is up.Lol.

windsplitters

Post by windsplitters »

Mapel Valley Kennels LLC. wrote:I am with you Wick bring them hounds to Eastern Ky and we will see how long the hounds last, not only do fast dogs not really factor in on The places we run But them hills are a bitzh for hours on end.They can occasionally strecth bot most there time is spent trying to figure out which way is up.Lol.
Reminds me of the ceder patch at lewis remember runing with junie dasie shanie and my knick male he was 8 years old then they was some other fellows came up that day their dogs didn't last but a couple hours that day in all I guess we ran 8 hours at least. Granppy line has all day endurance it works for me I like it to each his own feed what suits you.

Yea i remember that day well, you become a beliver and the boys we met were tapping out. Just like there dogs.They flat azz quit. ;)

chapkosbeagles

Post by chapkosbeagles »

I tell u this
My hound will die running befor they quit they showed me once as I almost ran them to death
Boys its called heart

fulcount

Post by fulcount »

Chappy
you covered it all with they have heart statement they have to have the heart
or they have nothing going for them

Now I've read and appreciate the accolades laid on Granppy He was a great one
Was told he was too slow for LPH and if you read any of the few adds we put
in the book I said "I would like to have a whole pack of "slow dogs like him"
Pappy finished in 11 trials ,his last win to finish was on SPOR
He had 4 wins previous to that, LPH wins He won the first LPH Nationals in
1994 say what they will he cut up the front running over running Fc an IFC entered at that time
So I have put up with the negative comments from the neophytes for years but will say
the ones that have in the past put the old dog down were the ones who got their Asses kicked by a SLOW dog
I only offered him to the public because I know that bloodline is as solid a bloodline
there ever was in field trials Having judged many of them for a number fo generations
and he did prove us right on his reproducing ability Having produced 19 AKC champions
out of 13 different Females of various bloodlines Hard to say what he would have done if
we really exploited him as others have their FC
We are still Linebreeding from Pappy today and will continue to do so till the last bell
is rung
So I say to you the bloodline has not 'Dried Up" Just not running the trials we used to
Doesn't mean we don't have the hounds we used to

John Otruba
The proud owner of the late NTLLPCFC WOODSTOCK GRANPPY

kymtninc

Post by kymtninc »

Well spoken John, it is obvious to those of us who know that you too deserve
some accolades. You have a solid line of hounds, and I respect you as being
a great Houndsman, just as Granppy was a great hound.

God Bless and Good Runnin'

Best Regards,

Dexter

KanesIrish

Post by KanesIrish »

Well said John...