Chief takes down another rabbit killer

A general forum for the discussion of hunting with beagles, guns, clothing and other equipment and just talking dawgs! (Tall tales on hunting allowed, but remember, first liar doesn't stand a chance)

Moderators: Pike Ridge Beagles, Aaron Bartlett

mobeagle

Chief takes down another rabbit killer

Post by mobeagle »

Turned my Chief pup out with brother in laws female this morning and they jumped right away. Had this coyote up and running for his life. Ran him through a 1 mile block about 4 times and he crossed the road on us north and circled another big block a a few times seen the dogs and the coyote several times with dogs nippin at his heels after about 10 miles on the garmin they caught. Sent Chief and 3 others into another piece and Chief jumped and took out with three dogs doin all they could to get in the race about 10 minutes in they were 5-600 yds behind doin nothing but pulling to him while he was trackin, barkin and running his game, seen him right up on the yote ran him hard for another hour and he went in one of the biggest briar patches I've ever seen and Chief lost track of him there. When we got to him he was crawling under the briars trying to figure it out, was bleeding and cut all to hell. So amazed at this dog right now he's a year old and may be the best dog of the 14 dogs we have and we've got some quality coyote dogs. Here's a pic of the morning catch, they had already killed him by the time I got there so I didnt get any action shots :(

Take your kids huntin and you wont have to hunt for your kids.

johns03272008

Re: Chief takes down another rabbit killer

Post by johns03272008 »

Love it!!! Keep them coming!! Will they take off on sound?? Say a yote starts yipping will they go to it like beagles go to another dog barking?
John Schelling
BORN AGAIN KENNELS

LET THE DOGS DO THE TALKING
www.bornagainkennels.weebly.com

mobeagle

Post by mobeagle »

johns03272008 wrote:Love it!!! Keep them coming!! Will they take off on sound?? Say a yote starts yipping will they go to it like beagles go to another dog barking?

O ya. Night hunting during the summer I'll bark with a mouth call to get the yotes stirred up and when they get to making noise we'll let the dogs hear them and off they go. You can get them to bark and howl right at sunrise to which we've done quite a bit. We mainly just free cast. Alot of guys walk their dogs into hunt, I cast mine from anywhere and they go find me a coyote if they wont do that.....they have no place here.

johns03272008

Post by johns03272008 »

Thats awesome!! Wish there wasnt so many roads around here i would thin down some of those yotes we have lol!! Nice job
John Schelling
BORN AGAIN KENNELS

Tsa la gi

Post by Tsa la gi »

AWSOME,hope I have as much fun with mine as you have with yours. I`ll be free casting mine also.

Chuck Prather

Post by Chuck Prather »

Looks like fun! Thanks for sharing!

BCBeagles

Post by BCBeagles »

Happy for your with your outstanding young hound!! Hope he gives you many years of enjoyment!!!

Thanks for the pics!

pilotknob

Post by pilotknob »

Love those pictures with dead yotes and hounds chewing on them!!!!!! most of the time it works out the other way around here.I'ed like to figure out how to do it here without getting them run over on the roads.

johns03272008

Post by johns03272008 »

pilotknob wrote:Love those pictures with dead yotes and hounds chewing on them!!!!!! most of the time it works out the other way around here.I'ed like to figure out how to do it here without getting them run over on the roads.
Im in the same boat here!! To many roads but sure do love seeing those things getting chewed on!! Lol
John Schelling
BORN AGAIN KENNELS

JCM

Post by JCM »

pilotknob wrote:Love those pictures with dead yotes and hounds chewing on them!!!!!! most of the time it works out the other way around here.I'ed like to figure out how to do it here without getting them run over on the roads.
That sure sounds like a blast but I'm with you on the roads. I just don't know how you could keep your hounds from getting smashed in south central Ohio. And of course, if one got hit it would be your best one.

Hard Driving Kennel

Post by Hard Driving Kennel »

He looks like a nice young hound. Sounds like if the rest of the dogs in there prime can't keep up with a year old dog running track you need to get rid of them and find some that can

mobeagle

Post by mobeagle »

Hard Driving Kennel wrote:He looks like a nice young hound. Sounds like if the rest of the dogs in there prime can't keep up with a year old dog running track you need to get rid of them and find some that can

That would be great to just find 4 or 5 more that can run with him, problem is they just arent out there. These dogs that he's leaving have caught alot of coyotes and had alot killed over them. Been at this along time and my uncles been raising coyote hounds for nearly 40 years and he been saying the last few years these hounds are the best he's ever seen. Sometimes you just get one that has it all. The dog can run full speed with his head in the air on a track and never slow down. He's 26-27 inch hound thats built like a greyhound. If I kill cull every dog that cant run with him I'm not sure how many hounds from here I'll ever own he's just been that good. Turned him loose on a 2hr old track saturday afternoon some guys had marked with a pop bottle that he ran like it had just come through there, our other dogs will take the same track just not move a track that old at the same pace he can. Just his combination of nose, size, and speed and endurance has been to much for the other dogs. Got one female in our group that can run with him, thats his mother.

BCBeagles

Post by BCBeagles »

You going to breed her again in the future??

mobeagle

Post by mobeagle »

BCBeagles wrote:You going to breed her again in the future??

For sure will be breeding her again.

BCBeagles

Post by BCBeagles »

Keep me in mind when you do. If I Am in the right spot I would love to get a couple pups!

Thanks!