EPIC Battles Of Beagles Past

A general forum for the discussion of hunting with beagles, guns, clothing and other equipment and just talking dawgs! (Tall tales on hunting allowed, but remember, first liar doesn't stand a chance)

Moderators: Pike Ridge Beagles, Aaron Bartlett

Ridge View

Re: EPIC Battles Of Beagles Past

Post by Ridge View »

BTT. Lookes like Jack may have won this battle. Keep it going though.

Haire-Bear

Post by Haire-Bear »

I think it was at Sandy Creek B.C. in NY. The seasoned beagler that was there said Jack was quite a bit smoother than Heli-prop. But Jack was a bit older than Prop also.

sbadger

Post by sbadger »

2 years back I got to talk to a older guy from Indianapolis he was saling out had bad legs could hardly walk ,we started talkin about some old bloodlines said he had a male that ran against Jack Of All Trades ,said it come down to his dog and Jack neck and neck ,he said the rabbit come down right in front of them made a quik turn to the right both dogs hammered right up to the turn and his dog over ran by 2 feet and Jack took the turn to the right and won the trial can t remember the bloodline his dog was but he said it was really enjoyable to see both run :D
Kettle Creek Kennel in Memory of Paige Nicole Badger 11/27/93 to 11/7/10

Newt

Post by Newt »

Ron Conroe wrote:was the sockit to me dog more of a line contol hond, or how footy was he.
Apparantly not many judges around have seen the two dogs compete, so we are left with hearsay and opinions based on tales around the campfire.

KanesIrish

Post by KanesIrish »

John finished one out of Jack...he was pretty high on her. Excellent dog and a hell of a producer, FC Woodstock Black Cher. Jack put a show on for a red ribbon at Sandy Creek that people that were there still talk about. Bill McLaren changed his whole kennel because of it. He was nine.

A member of our club handled Tome for a couple weeks. Dad said he was just there in the pack. Look where he produced and is line bred...in the Mid West but was trialed in the Northeast and Canada

rabitruner

Post by rabitruner »

Never saw either run but would have loved to. I will saw sock it to me shows up in a lot of my dogs and dogs I like so he gets my vote.

Andy Canterbury

fjg2

Post by fjg2 »

KanesIrish wrote:John finished one out of Jack...he was pretty high on her. Excellent dog and a hell of a producer, FC Woodstock Black Cher. Jack put a show on for a red ribbon at Sandy Creek that people that were there still talk about. Bill McLaren changed his whole kennel because of it. He was nine.

A member of our club handled Tome for a couple weeks. Dad said he was just there in the pack. Look where he produced and is line bred...in the Mid West but was trialed in the Northeast and Canada

Rob you hit the nail right on the head :cool:

I too was there at Sandy Creek when Jack got 2nd and Northway Driver got the win; Jack kiled driver on the checks and was running in 100% control on the drives; Mike Cunningham was judging that day and we still tease him to this day about that class :lol: looking back I am 100% sure Mike wishes he had that one to do over.

I can remember judging both prop and jack / I personally liked prop alot but liked jack better

BTW: your dad's description of Tome was right on the money; not to mention I saw him quit in LPH too many times after 2 hours of hard running / I was told Tome was one hellva snow dog by fellas I respect as hunters which had the pleasure to hunt over him, they say he had a super snow nose.

I dont want to start any bash here; the question was asked and this is what I saw

JG

KanesIrish

Post by KanesIrish »

Joe,
Always thought another big named big male won that class that day...but I'm starting to lose a gig our two in the computer. We bred to Driver and have some Tome in the kennel...just started getting the Jack in there.

I agree with not bashing dogs.

Maybe you and John could elaborate a on the differences between Woodstock Penny's 5 FC's. I always wondered if a double Penny cross like Pappy to Cher always worked out why did it seem like no Kendal or Pappy bitches were bred to Rockstar or versa.

I know Rockstar and Pappy went head to head several times...what were there strengths and weaknesses? As well as Kendal

Casey Harner

Post by Casey Harner »

Honey Hollow Elvis vs Green Bay Shooter

I've seen shooter a few times. i got to watch him run in a big pack and he held his own. He was in a race with FC Wookie, FC Larsen Jackson, Dirty Pond Tangeree, and a young bitch at the time named Fagans Cotton Candy which was a fast bitch. Shooter ran the front on Jackson. He seemed to have that control that I heard about. This was my first time to see a big pack of FC's go and the first time I met Adam Seger. I owe Adam a lot to bringing me into the beagling world.

Shooter that day dominated a lot of the race. What I remember the most was it rained the whole day. The area was a little flooded since some local beavers tore two ponds and they came together and they made one big lake. Despite the standing water and the torrential down pour it seemed like Shooter got the tough checks and took the front a lot. They caught that rabbit near the lake.

Never have seen Elvis go but I bet he would give Shooter a good fight.
Isaiah 53:5
Philippians 3:13-14

RIP Harner's Briar Bashin' Blaze

Coal Run Jody
Harner’s Bush Whacker

Speed is fine, accuracy is final.