Who all hunts with a Judge

A general forum for the discussion of hunting with beagles, guns, clothing and other equipment and just talking dawgs! (Tall tales on hunting allowed, but remember, first liar doesn't stand a chance)

Moderators: Pike Ridge Beagles, Aaron Bartlett

AlabamaSwamper

Who all hunts with a Judge

Post by AlabamaSwamper »

Thinking of buying one. Just getting as much info/advice on them as I can.

Most of my shots are 20 yards or closer. Most are closer.

I'll get the longer barrell Judge if I get one.
"No stronger bond exist than that between a man and his dog."

Link to RabbitDawg board. (Old Southernbeagles board)
http://www.excoboard.com/exco/index.php?boardid=6643

bwe007

Re: Who all hunts with a Judge

Post by bwe007 »

i used to but now i use a contender. good luck at 20 yards. barrel length i don't think would matter. the rifling spreads the shot everywhere.
LPRC LPGRBC COAL HILL'S PRINCESS WILLOW 2010 PA STATE CHAMP 2012 PA STATE RESERVE
LPRC HAWG DAWG'S CUPID R.I.P.
LPRC LPBCH EMRICH'S BLUE WILLIE
RHOADE'S ROYAL BLU BELLE R.I.P.

AlabamaSwamper

Post by AlabamaSwamper »

My first thought was a Pro Hunter in the .410 pistol. Dadgum, around here them things are $1000. :( Problem around here is, nobody carries them and they jack the price up to swap out everything on an already put together rifle. Ridiculous really.

I'm just in a gun buying mood and weighing options of what to buy really.

warmule

Post by warmule »

i got one but rabbit has to be really close to kill it get the longest barrel u can find
John 3:16

DIXIEDOG

Post by DIXIEDOG »

I've looked at them a few times, if they ever put a choke in one to stop the shot cup from spinning I'd be interested in picking one up. I went with the Magnum Research BFR instead, it uses the same choke as a T/C Contender and is very effective on rabbits at typical .410 distances....it doesn't seem to lose any range compared to my .410 o/u.

S.R.Patch

Post by S.R.Patch »

I don't have a 4/10 pistol or a 4/10 of any kind, but this idea of the rifling in the barrel spinning the shot-cup and throwing out of pattern is interesting to me. The only reason why is, I've been hunting for rabbits/hare a number of years now with a rifled slug barrel on my 20ga. and haven't noticed any kill or missed shots difference because of it.
I always thought the less shot/lead and the short barrel of the pistol would have more to do with it... :???:
Years ago if we wanted a tighter patters, we used grease or a little candle wax on the shot when we were loading to hold things together... ;)

AlabamaSwamper

Post by AlabamaSwamper »

I'm trying to trade a guy out of a Pro Hunter he has for sale. . I can buy the pistol stuff if I can get it. Probably sell the .308 barrel and keep the mzl.

If not, oh well, back to the drawing board. :lol:

pztrailman

Post by pztrailman »

You might want to look at a Rossi .410 pistol. I got one and really like it, they have come up in price since I bought one. The Judge doesn't have a choke and I don't think you would hit to many rabbits at 20 yds. Here is a link to the Rossi http://www.centerfireguns.com/rossi-45- ... 211bs.html

bigdogpace

Post by bigdogpace »

does rossi shoot 3 in. or 2 and half
BIGDOGPACE

bigdogpace

Post by bigdogpace »

does rossi shoot 3 in. or 2 and half
BIGDOGPACE

pztrailman

Post by pztrailman »

I shoot 3"

JBrock

Post by JBrock »

I have a super comanchee 410 and love it you can shoot the 21/2's or the 3 inch.. shells winchester's seem to be the best for my gun...
frogpond beagles

S.R.Patch

Post by S.R.Patch »

As the powder burns down the length of the barrel, it builds pressure/speed and velocity, we lengthen the forcing cones and port the barrel to relieve some of this pressure, reducing deformation of the round shot, for better flight and patterning.

I wonder since a shotgun shell powder load is designed to burn down the length of a long-gun, say 24in, how much of the powder is actually burnt and at what velocity does it leave the end of say, a 10-12in pistol barrel? less velocity/less distance/less killing power.

lazysutton

Post by lazysutton »

My uncle hunts with a judge and thinks its the greatest thing since sliced bread. Usually where we are hunting it is thicker than nose hair with shallow shooting lanes and lets just say his kill rate isn't astonishing. I'm not complaining though, I get to clean plenty of them up.

mike carder

Post by mike carder »

I have the Super Comanche and it's fun. I did put the 410 choke on the end. Really didn't notice a pattern difference. But left it on. I did a pattern test at 20 TSS and very little diff. I shoot the 3" winchesters also. The place I buy my shels had 4 boxes miss priced at 12.99 so I bought them all.