fox/deer hounds to beagle???

A general forum for the discussion of hunting with beagles, guns, clothing and other equipment and just talking dawgs! (Tall tales on hunting allowed, but remember, first liar doesn't stand a chance)

Moderators: Pike Ridge Beagles, Aaron Bartlett

bigdogs0074

fox/deer hounds to beagle???

Post by bigdogs0074 »

How many of you, were a Fox/deer hound hunters and then changed to beagles, and why?

rabbitearl

Re: fox/deer hounds to beagle???

Post by rabbitearl »

I used to go with my dad some.But posted sign everywere.I just give up.People didnot say much when you re rabbit hunting after deer season.an back then you could not shoot a doe.I remember they would put you in jail for shooting a doe.So I went full AKC rabbit hunting, they can have there deer.
Now they near bout beg you to shoot a doe.

yoteslayer

Post by yoteslayer »

Went from beagles when I was a kid, to coyote hounds for about 10 years, now im back to beagles. The main reason I quit Coyote hounds was cost of hunting. It cost you a tank a fuel everyday you coyote hunt. Only cost me a few dollars to run over to a thicket near my house and run bunnies. The satifaction is very similar, I just enjoy watching hounds run!!! If I could afford it and had time I would own both!!!!

PDBCPres

Post by PDBCPres »

I was raised in a fox hunting family. My Uncle is a well known fox hunter in SC. In the early 80's a deer was hard to find around my house and you could fox hunt wherever you wanted. People would even come out and sit on the porch to listen to the dogs run, with you. By the 90's the deer population had drastically increased and it changed everything. Those people who did not care suddenly had a change in heart as now they could hunt deer or lease their land. There were a lot of big dog hunting clubs in our area. Due to a few bad dog hunters and What I call Wal-Mart Hunters coming in taking land, dog hunting clubs are almost gone.
I said All that to get to this, We always had a beagle or two to train our walkers. Fox pens caused the hunt to be bred out of the walkers. I got a pack of beagles to run deer with because they were easier to handle and had the hunt. Started rabbit trialing in the off season(with the same dogs) and found that I loved rabbit hunting. Now have rabbit dogs and use my culls for deer dogs. Now I have a longer hunting season because I hunt deer till rabbit season comes in. Not near the trouble with the deer beagles because they are easier to keep up with. My family still runs the walkers, but we probably kill more deer with the beagles per hunt.

Jakeboy

Post by Jakeboy »

+1 Yoteslayer. I still run yotes with the boys but everytime out is a tank of gas and there is always a tree huger or pissed off land owner you have to deal with when you cover that much ground. I get the same satisfaction running beagles and I can do that by myself dont have to wait for the guys to rally up for coyote hunting