Dew Claws

A general forum for the discussion of hunting with beagles, guns, clothing and other equipment and just talking dawgs! (Tall tales on hunting allowed, but remember, first liar doesn't stand a chance)

Moderators: Pike Ridge Beagles, Aaron Bartlett

beaglebob33

Dew Claws

Post by beaglebob33 »

Need some feedback. I just bought a pup assuming that the dew claws were removed and they are not. The procedure here is a little over $400, and can not be done until 6 mos old.
Has anyone ever ran dogs with them on? Any problems? Seems like alot of problems could come from this.
Feedback please. Thanks

gpen08

Re: Dew Claws

Post by gpen08 »

I have dogs with the dew claws removed and some that still have their dew claws. I haven't noticed any difference between the ones that do and don't. I believe it is more of a preference thing.

wireman252

Post by wireman252 »

beaglebob33 wrote:Need some feedback. I just bought a pup assuming that the dew claws were removed and they are not. The procedure here is a little over $400, and can not be done until 6 mos old.
Has anyone ever ran dogs with them on? Any problems? Seems like alot of problems could come from this.
Feedback please. Thanks
If it were me, I would not pay $400 on getting dew claws removed at this point . You could buy another dog for that kind of money. Save your money .All my dogs still have their dew claws and they are fine. One dog has caught his and ripped it off before, but that dew claw is a long ways away from his heart ;)

19rabbit52

Post by 19rabbit52 »

I've had many beagles with dew claws. I've had a couple that might catch them just right and bleed. Usually not even once a year. Never had to have them removed. I wouldn't fool with-em unless I had trouble.

rackhntr

Post by rackhntr »

When mine are born I take a sharp pair of scissors and cut the dew claws off. Never had any problems.
Home of
HBCH Quaker Knob Jill
Quaker Knob On The Spot
Quaker Knobs Lonesome Rebel
Quaker Knobs Lonesome Dixie
Quaker Knob Hannah Jae
Quaker Knob Bitsy Boo

SUNRISE10

Post by SUNRISE10 »

Rubber band 2wks gone.

wvduece

Post by wvduece »

just get you a pair of toe nails clippers n just snip them right off i cut mine off when they are about 2 days old but watched a man cut them off a 3 or 4 y/o just picked him up while he was running took his knife a just cut them off if you run on alot of ice they will catch them now n then but not enough to worry about i cut my oups just for looks is all jb
.ImageJUST AS JOHN SEES IT

beaglebob33

Post by beaglebob33 »

Thanks guys!!!!!

Big Mike

Post by Big Mike »

Unless your into bench showing at the trials, I wouldn't worry about dew claws. Just keep the nail trimmed and they will be fine.
Big Mike

SUNRISE10

Post by SUNRISE10 »

I used to cut them off but with rubber band no pain no blood EZ ANY AGE