Better in the snow??

A general forum for the discussion of hunting with beagles, guns, clothing and other equipment and just talking dawgs! (Tall tales on hunting allowed, but remember, first liar doesn't stand a chance)

Moderators: Pike Ridge Beagles, Aaron Bartlett

patchgirl

Better in the snow??

Post by patchgirl »

I've noticed that one of my young hounds has been struggling a bit since the snow melted. In the winter she was a head up, fast, run to catch style hound. She could hold a line pretty well for her young age (she'll be 1 in July). Since the snow has melted and we've had some Summer-like weather, her style has changed a bit. She's slowed down, with her nose to the ground a lot more. She'll bring a rabbit around, and stick with it, but there's been more breakdowns. Are some dogs better in the snow???
Sunny's Blue Moon Lola Daisy
Booman Reaume's Storm Chaser
WWB Run N Gun Paris

littlewoody

Re: Better in the snow??

Post by littlewoody »

Your hound sound normal to me just keep running her and good luck . :D
TheJohnBirchSociety

Bull_357

Post by Bull_357 »

Sounds like a dog with the brains to speed up and slow down in harder conditions. Sounds like a great issue not a problem lol
Contenderized

patchgirl

Post by patchgirl »

Lol! Thanks guys! You can tell I'm a newbie. I thought it was a problem. I feel better now. :blush:
WWB Run N Gun Paris

reddog1

Post by reddog1 »

This time of year female rabbits give off less scent as do other female animals its natues way of protecting them and their young.
I remember a while back tsa la gi and I were running and he was about to leave all of his hounds in the woods because they couldn't hardly run until a rabbit popped out that was only 8" long.

patchgirl

Post by patchgirl »

Well I gotta give it to the pup then. She stuck with that thing for an hour, until I had to call her off of it for leaving the property.
WWB Run N Gun Paris

MaineDogs

Post by MaineDogs »

Bull_357 wrote:Sounds like a dog with the brains to speed up and slow down in harder conditions. Sounds like a great issue not a problem lol

X2 100%

Its a good problem to have.