hurt tail

A general forum for the discussion of hunting with beagles, guns, clothing and other equipment and just talking dawgs! (Tall tales on hunting allowed, but remember, first liar doesn't stand a chance)

Moderators: Pike Ridge Beagles, Aaron Bartlett

Alabama John

Re: hurt tail

Post by Alabama John »

Would love to see Joey do this squeezing. Hope he has someone making a video to post on here.

Have someone hold the dogs head forward while you squeeze. Someone else to hold the tail up too. All of us remember the first time!!!

Way to go Mike! Good advice!

Casey Harner

Post by Casey Harner »

mike crabtree wrote:You wont want that creme filled donut at work !!! :chef:

Thanks Mike I just barfed.
Isaiah 53:5
Philippians 3:13-14

RIP Harner's Briar Bashin' Blaze

Coal Run Jody
Harner’s Bush Whacker

Speed is fine, accuracy is final.

NCSportsman

Post by NCSportsman »

I remember the vet doing this for one of my dogs last year. It popped all over the stainless steel table like a giant zit.

The smell was so bad I almost puked right there! :crazy:

Mo. Beagler 5000

Post by Mo. Beagler 5000 »

my vet tried to show me how to do this once on a my dog but all I ended up doing every time is just sticking my finger up his butt and nothing happened but awkward eye contact.
God isn't real, Beer is good and people are crazy, there I fixed it.

foxxy

Post by foxxy »

watched a buddy do this at a trial and man that stuff smelled.
DNA Jenny
Windy Ridge Lightning
Coal Runs Bowser
Coal Runs Lacey
Coal Runs Cappy
Coal Runs Amp
Coal Runs Yoshi
Lp r ch Turbos Grand Pappy Happy

sharon

Post by sharon »

My husband was shown by our vet how to express our dog's anal glands. Our beagles seem to need it done frequently so he learned how to do it due to the cost of taking the dogs in to have it done by a vet or a groomer. Usually the dogs will scoot and that is a sure sign that their anal glands are a problem. I will try to explain how my husband does it. First off you will need to work with a partner so that they can hold the dog's head and mouth so you won't get bit. We usually work with the dog in a stationary tub so that the dog is confined to a small area, you don't need to bend over, plus you are close to water so that you can wash the rear-end after the gland has been expressed. My husband puts on a disposable glove or laytex-free exam glove and holds a paper towel in his hand. Hold the dog's tail up so you can feel the gland. Place the index finger and the thumb of the hand that you are using around the anus at 4:00 and twenty minutes to the hour. You will slightly press those two fingers in towards the dog's behind (you should feel a bulge) and squeeze. Remember you are covering the anus with the paper towel so the "smelly stuff" will go into the paper towel. Once the gland has been expressed, pull the glove off inside out so that the paper towel is now wrapped inside the disposable glove. We usually wrap that glove in saran wrap and throw it away in the garbage can outside. We wash the dog's behind with soap and water to get that nasty smell off of the dog. My husband has been doing this for several years. The dog's don't get too upset when we do it now because I believe the relief they get is worth the momentary discomfort. I hope I have explained this well enough for you to understand the process. Good Luck. Let us know how it works if you try to do it yourself!

Lee Cockman

Post by Lee Cockman »

Sounds easier to SHOOT the dog Joey and get another one!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
C&F Cottontail Kennels

C&F's Cinnamon Run RedBug
C&F's Talkabout TBO

Alabama John

Post by Alabama John »

I've seen folks do this in a creek. Have someone hold the head, and tail, straddle the dog facing backward and do as Sharon says. It will come out underwater and go downstream quick and you won't get any on you or smell it.
Don't eat the catfish for a week.

Panther Creek

Post by Panther Creek »

Alabama John wrote:I've seen folks do this in a creek. Have someone hold the head, and tail, straddle the dog facing backward and do as Sharon says. It will come out underwater and go downstream quick and you won't get any on you or smell it.
Don't eat the catfish for a week.
The EPA might not like that.
Mo. Beagler 5000 wrote:my vet tried to show me how to do this once on a my dog but all I ended up doing every time is just sticking my finger up his butt and nothing happened but awkward eye contact.
LOL My vet tried to show me too. I couldn't get the hang of it.
Panther Creek Beagles
Be faithful unto death, and I will give you a crown of life. Rev. 2:10

bigjohn

Post by bigjohn »

I think dogs that aren't ran as often have more trouble with this than those that are. I have one female ,that if not ran at least once a week,has problems with this.It really isn't that hard to do and like the poster above said,she holds still pretty well to have it done.No way I'm going to pay someone to do such a simple task.

sharon

Post by sharon »

Lee Cockman wrote:Sounds easier to SHOOT the dog Joey and get another one!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
From the looks of Joeyman's tailgate the only thing that he is shooting is rabbits....and a lot of them.... so I doubt that shooting such a good rabbit dog is an option! Just a little bit of time and effort in the care of his dog will do the trick. Whether Joeyman does it himself or takes the dog to a vet all his dogs look like keepers!

deerhost

Post by deerhost »

Had to do this for one of my dogs one time and after
wards I had the urg to have a smoke....!

deerhost

Post by deerhost »

All kidding a side Joey, get some gloves put some lube at the tip of the index finger. Stick it in just about an inch or so, then with the thumb of the same hand pinch the tissue on one side and sqeeze out with both fingers then do the other side. Don't pay some one. Also I give a course of amox after.....Andre

BB Beagles

Post by BB Beagles »

I know exactly what your thinking, what's wrong with this hound? Is spine problems, broke tail, hip problems, what could it be! I had a hound that acted alot like yours is doing. Took it to vet, they squeezed anal glands for $10. Week or so went by, tail still tucked under. I got worried so had x-ray done to check spine and hips. They were perfect. Problem was hound was constipated. I seen hound crap during this time, but vet said wasn't getting fully empty when they were going. In other words good ole enema put my worries to ease.
BONE BOX BEAGLES