Kokadjo, Maine

A general forum for the discussion of hunting with beagles, guns, clothing and other equipment and just talking dawgs! (Tall tales on hunting allowed, but remember, first liar doesn't stand a chance)

Moderators: Pike Ridge Beagles, Aaron Bartlett

big w beagles

Kokadjo, Maine

Post by big w beagles »

Going hare hunting in the Kokadjo, Maine area in October. What are the roads like in that area? All-terrain tires needed?
Any information would be appreciated.

Bellmorekennels

Re: Kokadjo, Maine

Post by Bellmorekennels »

I have never been to that part of maine, but most of maine hare hunting is done off logging roads and tote roads. If is is rainy, then I would def get some good tires on your truck, if ground was cold and frozen, it would be better. but then you would have snow issues, so either way I would get tires.
I went up 2 years ago and have to back out few spots with fear getting stuck, then went again in march and with new falken tires i went everywhere!!

anthony

gfedor

Post by gfedor »

Hunted up in the moosehead lake area for yrs,chasing the big bucks. I hunted the area you are talkung about, mixed terrian. Any ground that isnt going up tends to be wet, alot of bogs in the area. Where you staying at? Its been a couple of yrs since I went up, but we would get a cabin that can sleep 10 no problem, fully heated,bathroom inside etc for $950 a week. Divide that by 8/10 guys,plus buying food, it was like $250 a person. Good luck, gps for you and dogs a must!!

big w beagles

Post by big w beagles »

Thanks for the information.

Mark T

Post by Mark T »

One of the best places on earth for a rabbit hunter. Get new tires if they're questionable. Not much up there for help, so be prepared.

big w beagles

Post by big w beagles »

My tires have only 10,000 miles on them, but gravel roads and limestones have given me several flat tires while out running dogs. I think I need some different tires for this trip to Maine. Any suggestions? I have 20" Wrangler tires on my Ram 1500.

Bellmorekennels

Post by Bellmorekennels »

Falken rocky mountain tire on tundra

DIXIEDOG

Post by DIXIEDOG »

Depending on what you have for tires and truck it won't matter. I've got a F150 4wd with the stock Wrangler tires on it and haven't had an issue at all.....my previous Super Duty had BFGoodrich Long Trails on it and they were no problem either. If you have a 2wd tires are probably more of a factor but the logging roads really aren't that bad.

LR Patch

Post by LR Patch »

Trade that Ram 4 a Chevy & it's all good ;-)
Randy Vanosdale
LOUDON RIDGE PATCH
KL Vanosdale

http://www.loudonridgepache.com

Home of the tried and true Patch Hound! "Where honesty and
good hounds are a family tradition"

Shady Grove Beagles

Post by Shady Grove Beagles »

I hunt northern Maine in Arroostock county and also hunt around Pittsburg,New Hampshire in Coos county.I drive a 2WD Dodge Ram with regular street tires and go about any where I want to in it.In October the logging roads are in good shape and the weather is usually pretty dry then.Even when it rains those back country logging roads are good gravel and not the greasy red mud we have here in Tennessee.
Plus when you hunt the north woods there really is no reason to go off bush wacking as you can pull over on any of the logging roads and turn out right from the truck.You're already in the middle of no where so......
Home of a true hunting beagle that run to catch

MaineDogs

Post by MaineDogs »

The roads that you will be on most of the time will be good gravel roads but tires with a low ply # will get punctured. I maintain a fleet of vehicles that are on gravel roads daily and we run 10 ply tires and up. when i head into the back country for more than a few hours, i take no less than two spare tires. Anyone who deals with these roads will tell you the factory ply tires "P" rated or low "LT" ratings are 100% waste of money. I would not worry about traction all that much, the primary dirt roads will be in good condition. even when wet they hold up well unless you’re in an area that loggers are working, the 18 wheelers will rut up the roads if it’s been raining but you can’t hunt in the areas that woods crews are cutting.

That area has so many options for hunting there is no reason to risk driving threw a mud hole to see what’s on the other side, "when in doubt, back out" or as us Mainers say, "when in doubt, throttle out" BUT we all have 4x4s and friends to call when stuck.