ARHA Hunting and Handling rule

A general forum for the discussion of hunting with beagles, guns, clothing and other equipment and just talking dawgs! (Tall tales on hunting allowed, but remember, first liar doesn't stand a chance)

Moderators: Pike Ridge Beagles, Aaron Bartlett

Would u like to see a rule modification that would require at least 20 minutes of running per cast?

Yes
35%
No
21%
I love the hunting and handling rule as is
11%
I don't agree with the 20 minute suggestion, but do not like the current hunting and handling rule.
33%

Total votes: 82

bfoster

Re: ARHA Hunting and Handling rule

Post by bfoster »

begles wrote:Just asking, do we want to change the rule for ones self or for the betterment of the sport
So requiring a hound to run a rabbit would not be considered better for the sport? A sport based on promoting the rabbit beagle for hunting.

Of all the AKC trails I've been to, I have yet to see judgement handed down on a cast that did not run a rabbit. It seems that the time limitation that is such a factor in ARHA is not a problem in AKC. AKC Judges will just continue to work until they have a race and can provide proper judgement. ARHA judges have a cop out called Hunting and Handling. Have you ever seen a lazy ARHA judge? One that does not appear to be working hard for a race until the last 15 minutes of the cast.

piney mtn. kennels

Post by piney mtn. kennels »

Just saying!
You have a three dog cast. Dog A hunts hard for one hour . Dog B and Dog C hunts for mayby ten minutes and then follows the judges around. Time is extended and Dog A hunts hard for another thirty minutes and jumps a rabbit and has twenty minutes of running and loses by five or ten points. Is this fair to Dog A?
LP GR R CH Porters Piney MTN Ruby 2013 VA State Ch. Open Class
2014 Little World Champion GR CH Class
2014 Juvenile Diabetes Champion GR CH.Class
J.B. Porter 276-699-6089
Cell 276-620-8890

calmobeagler

Post by calmobeagler »

Judged in ARHA and come back a bloody mess with little running, that was just keeping up with dogs searching. Believe it or not why your standing there talking judges actually try to stay with the pack and see what dog is doing what. As far as being lazy and working the last 15 minutes, no judge wants to determine a cast on hunting and handling and pick the dog he thought did best so someone could get mad because their dog did not win, so he or she tries to work the dogs harder so certain people dont get mad and discourage them from judging. Just curious what do you do when your judging!

johns03272008

Post by johns03272008 »

piney mtn. kennels wrote:Just saying!
You have a three dog cast. Dog A hunts hard for one hour . Dog B and Dog C hunts for mayby ten minutes and then follows the judges around. Time is extended and Dog A hunts hard for another thirty minutes and jumps a rabbit and has twenty minutes of running and loses by five or ten points. Is this fair to Dog A?

Guess Dog A wasn't the best dog then!! Just cause it hunted harder doesn't mean it should win!! Winning should be judging the dogs running a rabbit not by hunting and handling!!
John Schelling
BORN AGAIN KENNELS

LET THE DOGS DO THE TALKING
www.bornagainkennels.weebly.com

Little Indian Creek

Post by Little Indian Creek »

bfoster wrote:
begles wrote:Just asking, do we want to change the rule for ones self or for the betterment of the sport
So requiring a hound to run a rabbit would not be considered better for the sport? A sport based on promoting the rabbit beagle for hunting.

Of all the AKC trails I've been to, I have yet to see judgement handed down on a cast that did not run a rabbit. It seems that the time limitation that is such a factor in ARHA is not a problem in AKC. AKC Judges will just continue to work until they have a race and can provide proper judgement. ARHA judges have a cop out called Hunting and Handling. Have you ever seen a lazy ARHA judge? One that does not appear to be working hard for a race until the last 15 minutes of the cast.
This AKC trial you are referring to takes 3 days to complete, that is the difference.
Kenny Lain
Little Indian Creek Kennels
AKC & NKC Beagles

johns03272008

Post by johns03272008 »

3 days because there is 4 different classes with 13" females 13" males 15" males and 15" females and they RUN rabbits
John Schelling
BORN AGAIN KENNELS

LET THE DOGS DO THE TALKING
www.bornagainkennels.weebly.com

bfoster

Post by bfoster »

calmobeagler wrote:Believe it or not why your standing there talking judges actually try to stay with the pack and see what dog is doing what.
As we say it. "We don't walk and talk. We run to catch." Catch the race. I'm not a tailgater. I tailgate at the football game.

We come to win and we bring the dogs to do it. They hunt and handle just fine, but we come to run'em and have fun. We don't get mad when we don't win. You can't win them all.

My running partner won hunting and handling in his first cast last weekend. His dog then won the trial in the 5 dog winners pack. I took a year and half old pup and took second in my cast with barly any running (6th overall and Best of Show). It was dry, running was poor, and it was a tough day. Some days are and I understand that completely.

I started this because I agree with the new trailer we took with us. He is a really good houndsman, with winning calaber dogs. He paid over $60 to come (Two dogs - reg., entry, and club membership, luckily we live close so not major travel costs) and he then went home shaking his head. He couldn't believe we wouldn't take the dogs that ran a rabbit in their cast over the dogs that didn't run a rabbit. He couldn't see how hunting and handling only could be considered as winning a rabbit dog sport.

calmobeagler wrote:Just curious what do you do when your judging!
I do the same thing as any good "bloody mess" judge does, but that's not the point.

The point is the weaknesses in the rules and setting a higher standard via said rules. A standard we can all be proud of.

If of 40 people 70% agree there needs to be a change to the hunting and handling rule, then we need to come up with a better solution than H&H. It doesn't have to be my suggestion. What do you think would be an improvement?

east80kennels

Post by east80kennels »

lol get ya some dogs that can jump a rabbit!!! that will solve everything!! :lol: :lol:

andrew_kirby

Post by andrew_kirby »

bfoster wrote: He couldn't believe we wouldn't take the dogs that ran a rabbit in their cast over the dogs that didn't run a rabbit. He couldn't see how hunting and handling only could be considered as winning a rabbit dog sport.
So are you saying that hunting and handling won the cast as a tie breaker in a cast that did have running? Not trying to start anything just wondering what happened.

bfoster

Post by bfoster »

andrew_kirby wrote: So are you saying that hunting and handling won the cast as a tie breaker in a cast that did have running? Not trying to start anything just wondering what happened.
No. H&H was awarded to casts that didn't have running. Those dogs then advanced to the winners pack and then ultimately placed higher than his one dog that got second in a running cast. I explained it, but he didn't agree with it. I've just always excepted it, but I don't like it. I would like no longer to just except it, if we can do something to improve it.

begles

Post by begles »

this is not AKC, You can talk all day long untile someone gets mad and wants to come to your house and beat you up.for better results contact your state rep. their the ones that can get things done.

Mapel Valley Kennels LLC.

Post by Mapel Valley Kennels LLC. »

bfoster wrote:
andrew_kirby wrote: So are you saying that hunting and handling won the cast as a tie breaker in a cast that did have running? Not trying to start anything just wondering what happened.
No. H&H was awarded to casts that didn't have running. Those dogs then advanced to the winners pack and then ultimately placed higher than his one dog that got second in a running cast. I explained it, but he didn't agree with it. I've just always excepted it, but I don't like it. I would like no longer to just except it, if we can do something to improve it.
Unfortunatley unless its a rule violation, its your opinion. I dont agree with obama on alot but i get stuck with his decisions.
Case in point years ago i was at a hunt.Dog A which was mine had pretty much dissapered in thicket, she jump a rabbit. Dog B NOT HUNTING AT ALL SEEN THE RABBIT COME OUT. I was rewared strike and he a jump WTF? Life aint fair.
When the moment of truth arrives, the point of preparation has passed.
Old School, Full Throttle ,No Bottle.

JCM

Post by JCM »

I love how some guys that run AKC want to talk about how you have to run. At least in ARHA you don't have 20 guys out there in a line with sticks beating the brush trying to jump rabbits and constantly calling dogs. How much running would AKC require if the dogs had to jump their own rabbits? It's a different system with different requirements/expectations.

There are some days with some casts where it is tough for hounds to find rabbits and/or run. Occasionally this happens when you run at home but you know which dog is hunting the best. I think the system works. A knowledgable judge can tell what hounds are hunting best and deserve the cast win.

Casey Harner

Post by Casey Harner »

Not naming the owner or the dog, but the last world hunt the judge told the handlers to handle your dogs. This particular dog jumped a rabbit when the other dogs were being handled by their owners. This dog jumped the rabbit wasn't handled by the owner right away. From little of what I heard the dog and another tied and he lost due to the handling part of the rule. Rules are rules but that would be tough to swallow in my opinion.

I like little pack and the people who attend them.
Isaiah 53:5
Philippians 3:13-14

RIP Harner's Briar Bashin' Blaze

Coal Run Jody
Harner’s Bush Whacker

Speed is fine, accuracy is final.

bwe007

Post by bwe007 »

just as Jim and Andrew said it. sometimes it's hard to find rabbits. most dogs walk the path or just plain fu$% around very few dogs anymore are good jump dogs. for those of you that say the winner should be the dog that runs the rabbit the best sometimes that happens. but on the other hand when the dog stands by the judges feet the whole cast and doesn't even try to find a rabbit those dogs should be culled. god bless a jump dog.
LPRC LPGRBC COAL HILL'S PRINCESS WILLOW 2010 PA STATE CHAMP 2012 PA STATE RESERVE
LPRC HAWG DAWG'S CUPID R.I.P.
LPRC LPBCH EMRICH'S BLUE WILLIE
RHOADE'S ROYAL BLU BELLE R.I.P.