Beagles in Kentucky

A general forum for the discussion of hunting with beagles, guns, clothing and other equipment and just talking dawgs! (Tall tales on hunting allowed, but remember, first liar doesn't stand a chance)

Moderators: Pike Ridge Beagles, Aaron Bartlett

lab

Beagles in Kentucky

Post by lab »

Was wondering if everyone in Kentucky owns a Beagle. Is there that many rabbits down there in your state. Every time I see a dog I would like to buy it seems to be in Kentucky. I envy you all that you do not have to go far to buy a dog.

Mapel Valley Kennels LLC.

Re: Beagles in Kentucky

Post by Mapel Valley Kennels LLC. »

Kentucky seems to be a hot spot for rabbits, we have so much different terrain to offer from wetlands to mountains. We got cottaintails, swampers , woods rabbits. The rabbit gods continue to smile on our old kentucky home, we got the best whiskey, the fastest horses,greatest basketball teams. Who could ask for more?
When the moment of truth arrives, the point of preparation has passed.
Old School, Full Throttle ,No Bottle.

Shady Grove Beagles

Post by Shady Grove Beagles »

I live in Tn.and have had the opportunity to go up to Ky.for a couple of weekend hunts and to a mid-West trial.Everywhere we hunted and trialed had lots of rabbits.
I don't know why Tn. and Ky.would differ so much in rabbit population but I'd say Ky. has a lot more rabbits.
The Mid-West Beagle Federation which is very popular with trialers holds a lot of their trials in Ky. You'll find many avid beaglers in Ky. with some real nice hounds.
Home of a true hunting beagle that run to catch

Donnie Durbin

Post by Donnie Durbin »

That's the only good thing about high gas prices. Most of the Farmers quit bush hogging their fields because of fuel cost. Also a lot of tobacco Farmers sold out to the Gov., and all those fields have grown cover also. That's my theory we have more rabbits now. :D

Chimney Rock Kennel

Post by Chimney Rock Kennel »

Anyone in or around Pulaski or laurel counties that had a abundance of rabbits let me know lol.
Home of

NrFC LPGRCH Chimney Rock's Bad Moon Rising
FCGD LPRCH Chimney Rock's KY Lucky
NrFC LPGRCH Chimney Rock's Shooting Star

The downside of ky, 3 out of 5 draw a ck we have a massive drug problem. 92% of kentucky uses coal for electricity yet 6000 miners have been laid off in recent months. I would venture to say there is more meth labs than rabbits around here. Our school system as a whole sucks. Teenage pregnancy is at a all time high. But alot of us call it home and will end it here. And yes i am opininated, And ky loud and proud.

lab

Post by lab »

Is there not much industries in Kentucky. Up here in Northern Missouri our farmers our just the opposite. they have been making more money then most and then they our out clearing every fence row out so they can make more. As soon as crop prices went up fence rows went out. I am thinking someday we will look like Kanas. Wind is always blowing up here and years ago we did not have these winds like this. they tell me it is because of the fencerows being cleaned out. it is hard on the rabbits and quail. I think we still have a few coveys left. We do not have the rabbits like we did 20 years ago. I always thought it was the roundup and pesticides they were using on the fields killing off our rabbits populations but conservations tell us it is not. blame it on Mother nature. I have my theory and they have their.

east80kennels

Post by east80kennels »

Chimney Rock Kennel wrote:Anyone in or around Pulaski or laurel counties that had a abundance of rabbits let me know lol.

hey eddie, travis u guys and blackburn come on over here in bout a month and we will take care of this abundance of rabs over here w/ moon and lucky and buggs :biggrin: :lol:

pcable

Post by pcable »

Yeah we got plenty of rabbits, but you have to get up pretty early in the morning to get a parking place on these old strip mines! There are about as many beagles as they are rabbits it seems to me! Grew up here hunting beagles and I guess I'll do it til I can't walk and the surgeons can't fix my backbone anymore!
IF A DOG WON'T HUNT, IT CAN'T JUMP RABBITS!!!
Owner Co-Owner
Cables Ragin' Recoil
Cables Rockin Ruby
Cables Tuff Baba Clyde
Martin's Holly Lynn
Wireman's Little Ann

foxxy

Post by foxxy »

Mapel Valley Kennels LLC. wrote:The downside of ky, 3 out of 5 draw a ck we have a massive drug problem. 92% of kentucky uses coal for electricity yet 6000 miners have been laid off in recent months. I would venture to say there is more meth labs than rabbits around here. Our school system as a whole sucks. Teenage pregnancy is at a all time high. But alot of us call it home and will end it here. And yes i am opininated, And ky loud and proud.
and yet another ky coal mine is closed up in few months excel mining :(
DNA Jenny
Windy Ridge Lightning
Coal Runs Bowser
Coal Runs Lacey
Coal Runs Cappy
Coal Runs Amp
Coal Runs Yoshi
Lp r ch Turbos Grand Pappy Happy

gwyoung

Post by gwyoung »

Maple Valley, you'all think you got the best down there, well, we got some of the best, er, uh, now that I get to thinkin' about it I will have to get back to you on that, we have bound to have something up here worth a crap!

gwyoung

Post by gwyoung »

Oh, yea, COUSINS!

Anyone I have ask to run with me has been pleased. Within 1 hr or less I can drop you in some of the best you have seen. I got 2 farms close eiether sporting 400 acres and running that will make anyone proud. Working a dealership has advantages out the wazoo. My only disadvantages are yotes. Everyone talking wolves is scary to say the least. But yotes grab my attention anytime they scream. Bluegrass state is awesome anyone that ain't run a woods rabbit you owe it to yourself and the bucket list. Open invige to anyone.

adirondackjoe

Post by adirondackjoe »

maple valley, seems like the only thing you don't have down there is snowshoe hares (and 40 below).

begles

Post by begles »

cover here is thick, you can see the dogs go threw but not the rabbit. takes a bit to get a shot at one. so don`t miss.
Dale if you hunt with hoss you get all the rabbits cause he can`t hit one. LOL :nod: