rabbit season upon us all!!!!!!!

A general forum for the discussion of hunting with beagles, guns, clothing and other equipment and just talking dawgs! (Tall tales on hunting allowed, but remember, first liar doesn't stand a chance)

Moderators: Pike Ridge Beagles, Aaron Bartlett

Joeyman

Re: rabbit season upon us all!!!!!!!

Post by Joeyman »

Missouri rabbits running for their lives!!!!

Give us a like on FACEBOOK search for Track Em Down Kennels

rabbitatfarm

Post by rabbitatfarm »

Who needs to kill a dozen a day or 100-plus per season? Where do you go to run next year? We have good areas with lots of rabbits but it's getting harder and harder to find private land to hunt or run on. You can't hammer them relentlessly no matter that they have multiple litters. Take what you need, but enjoy the dogs and the day.
LP R Ch Quick Strike Go Go Boots
LP R Ch Quick Strike Big Red

bunnybuster24

Post by bunnybuster24 »

rabbitatfarm wrote:Who needs to kill a dozen a day or 100-plus per season? Where do you go to run next year? We have good areas with lots of rabbits but it's getting harder and harder to find private land to hunt or run on. You can't hammer them relentlessly no matter that they have multiple litters. Take what you need, but enjoy the dogs and the day.
Most of us who kill lots of rabbits have tons of places to hunt and only hunt a farm once or at most twice per season. For instance one farm we hunt here is 1300 acres. We killed around 30 rabbits off it last year. I was over there the other day running and there is a huge abundance once again. I am blessed with plenty of places and plenty of rabbits or else I would probally only kill a few per trip. It's actually VERY VERY easy to find places to hunt here in my part of Kentucky if your respectful, put in a little legwork, and have a good reputation. Being a cattle farmer sure doesnt hurt either, lol! You would be suprised at how many places I have got permission to from being at the stockyards, vet, or the local restraunts were everyone hangs out.
IFC Tysons Picking Banjo (RIP)
IFC Beavercreeks Manifest Destiny
IFC Blackies T Cricket
GRHBCH XDawg Lucky
FCLP Red Pines Sara Palin
LPRCH HBCH Crankin Katie
HBCH Loose Change WV Road Rage

Lee Cockman

Post by Lee Cockman »

I say do what you want where you hunt and live and I will do the same where I live! I have killed 175 to 200 for the last twenty years. I feed my dogs and pay for my hunting leases and have permission from my friends and hunting clubs. I will do as I always have and could care less what anyone on this board likes about it or not. That is your opinion just like mine is to hunt. We eat what we kill and do not hunt a spot to death. You have to be smarter than what you are working with. I rarely even go to the same spot and hunt in a season. Sometimes I even skip a entire season running or killing. If you have five places to hunt then maybe you need to thank about killing but me.

I am lucky I have six places to hunt! :bash:
C&F Cottontail Kennels

C&F's Cinnamon Run RedBug
C&F's Talkabout TBO

rabbitatfarm

Post by rabbitatfarm »

I didn't mean to offend anyone. Around here we have large farms that farm from fence to fence and yuppies on two acres. Not a lot in between. We do have a lot of state land but much of it is managed for deer and turkeys. I like rabbit too, just don't need that many. To each his own. Have a safe season and for me a good day is any day I bring all my dogs home. Anything in the bag is a bonus.
LP R Ch Quick Strike Go Go Boots
LP R Ch Quick Strike Big Red

duckbuster38401

Post by duckbuster38401 »

We will kill our fair share, but I like to see the kids shoot em!
Jason McMeen
931-446-1467

NCSportsman

Post by NCSportsman »

rabbitearl wrote:You know I ve not been in 3 years now.can t believe I said that.In the young days I could not wait for rabbit season.daddy past away last year and we had to put mom in the rest home.Its just not the same.I just don t care about it now.maybe some day it will come back.Let me tell yall something.Don t matter what kind of beagle you like.Enjoy it why you can.Yall go get them rabbits this year,Shoot one for me.Have Fun.
You'll know when you are ready again. It's in your blood!

We killed 30 last year. Only hunt Saturdays. Dad is 70 years old and can't put in a full day so we usually hunt 4-6 hours...

Goal is 40 this season. We have plenty of folks asking for rabbits so 30 didn't cut it last year...

Hwy 30 kennels

Post by Hwy 30 kennels »

They was 315 rabbits killed over my dogs last year....
They r plenty of places I hunt every year and the rabbit population has grown from last year I've started seeing baby rabbits first of march and I still see baby rabbits :shock: must have had a good breeding season... I can't wait till opening day!!
I finger on killing at least 100 and I don't have to try that hard lol :lol: