i need radios

A general forum for the discussion of hunting with beagles, guns, clothing and other equipment and just talking dawgs! (Tall tales on hunting allowed, but remember, first liar doesn't stand a chance)

Moderators: Pike Ridge Beagles, Aaron Bartlett

adirondackjoe

i need radios

Post by adirondackjoe »

we like to use 2 way radios when we hare hunt. tried midland and motorola. no luck. keep switching off when it gets cold no matter what kind of batteries i use. you guys use them? what kind? called the co. no help. at this point i'm ready to try two soup cans and a string.

BCBeagles

Re: i need radios

Post by BCBeagles »

had same issue with Cobra, good luck!!!!!

steve w

Post by steve w »

Keep them inside your coat where it's warm and/or use lithium battery's.

Smoke'n Mack

Post by Smoke'n Mack »

Garmin rino 120. Radio/GPS and you can track your buddies. Use high power rechargeables. It'll chew through cheap batteries.

Swampman

Post by Swampman »

I've used Motorolas (talkabout 250) for years with no problems.
I hang it around my neck by a lanyard and tuck in inside my game vest so it's not swinging around as I walk.

gwyoung

Post by gwyoung »

joe, ICOM, They are great radios. But expensive. $300. will get you a good one but it will last a lifetime. I ordered an extra one for a guy who didn't pick it up. Cost me over $ 300 with the Mike will sell it for $150. ( new in the box) If you want a great radio this is what they cost, Don't take my word for it, look it Up. ICOM!

S.R.Patch

Post by S.R.Patch »

Years ago we bought Midland XtraTalk, they was around $40 for the pair. Still use them, no problems.
Reddog has one that does like a gps & radio together, it's really nice that you can track your way back out using your radio combo. He also had the lightest rain suite I'd ever seen that was durable, I believe you could carry it rolled up and it took no room, I hate getting caught out in the rain.
I keep my little Midland tucked inside my coat on a lanyard, stays warm next to your body and the batteries don't suffer from the cold. It also muffles the sound when you hunt with buddies that talk to much... :lol:

Swampman

Post by Swampman »

gw,

Is the ICOM a marine radio?
If so, what is the model?

My bear hunting buddy uses them because of the range.

adirondackjoe

Post by adirondackjoe »

bc beagles. thanks. was gonna try cobra next. steve w. tried it. still does it on a 50 degree day. smoke em. looked at garmin. nice radios but i have a gps on my alpha and astro. swamp man, seems the way it goes. some guys have all the luck with radios.gw young is that one radio? i need 3. can i talk to someone who has a motorola or a midland? sr patch another lucky guy with the radios. i think its just me. everything i touch turns to S***.

gwyoung

Post by gwyoung »

Joe, you can program them to any frequency of any other radio. It is one radio. There is a reason they are $300. they are very good, Stays charged for a long time. Like you I never had much luck with the cheaper radios in the long run. Google ICOM and you will learn all you need to know about them. Good luck, If I could get by with a $50 radio I would not buy $300 ones, I can assure you of that, look them up, just takes a minute!

island hare chas'r

Post by island hare chas'r »

YAESU 170 FR
THESE ARE A 5 WATT HANDHELD RADIO WONT MESS UP YOUR GARMIN RECIEVER.
KEEP WATCHING EBAY, CAN PICK THEM UP FOR $100-$125
GREAT RADIOS RECHARGEBLE AND WATERPROOF, CAN BE OPENED UP