F.C> Champions That Stand Around

A general forum for the discussion of hunting with beagles, guns, clothing and other equipment and just talking dawgs! (Tall tales on hunting allowed, but remember, first liar doesn't stand a chance)

Moderators: Pike Ridge Beagles, Aaron Bartlett

johns03272008

Re: F.C> Champions That Stand Around

Post by johns03272008 »

Collins Country wrote:I thought the reason there were no young judges in Mid-West was because all these clubs keep calling the same few judges!!! There's a whole list to choose from but if you check out the hunt adds, I dought they use 20 % of those on the list!
That's also because 40% of these people on there can no longer judge or they just took the course to see what it was about. I can go down that list and find 20 people that can't judge because of health issues or age. If someone wants to judge then they need to call the club and ask to judge not just sit back and wait on a phone call!!
John Schelling
BORN AGAIN KENNELS

LET THE DOGS DO THE TALKING
www.bornagainkennels.weebly.com

Hwy 30 kennels

Post by Hwy 30 kennels »

Sounds like that hit a nerve! Lol
If they can't judge or just took the course for the heck of it then just take their names off..

mybeagles

Post by mybeagles »

It's not quite that simple:

AKC requires the two judges for a class have 10 licensed trials experience between them. You can't just grab two new guys, you have to pair them with experienced judge.

Young inexperienced judges can be just as bad or worse with giving their buddy the benefit often times unintentionally.

Part of the reason you see many of the same judges is the fact they have proven themselves to be reliable through the years. Nothing more frustrating for a field trial secretary than trying to find a replacement judge the morning of the trial for a judge that noshows.

Again, my response is to get involved in the process by helping out at the club. If your not doing that then your opinion doesn't get counted. No one is going to change the process unless you personally get involved. Clubs close up all the time because of lack of participation. If every one that complains would lend a hand things would go very smooth with very little to complain about.

Who would like to volunteer their time to call every name on the judging list and determine who is still available? You can post the results online for all the FTS to view!! That would fix that problem wouldn't it?

I'm a firm believer that if you want to present a problem you need to present a solution and be prepared to assist in fixing it.
Rob’s Ranger Rabbit Hunter (Lefty)
Rose City Quad King’s
DogPatch Fly

johns03272008

Post by johns03272008 »

Hwy 30 kennels wrote:Sounds like that hit a nerve! Lol
If they can't judge or just took the course for the heck of it then just take their names off..
Your more than welcome to call AKC and get them to do that lol I'm sure they will take the time to make that happen :lol:
John Schelling
BORN AGAIN KENNELS

Alabama John

Post by Alabama John »

The dog knows it has already made champion and is now training the others. Just straightens them out when they need it and lets them run until they mess up again.
Hard to find one with that much sense, appreciate what you have there!!!
Does he look at you and shake his head saide to side before going in and when he comes out? He's telling you, here I have to go again.

IRON EAGLE

Post by IRON EAGLE »

I dont know much about Akc . Why do they use a stick to jump a rabbit. Why not let the dogs do it .
J.D. CASEY (606) 344-2826 CELL
(606)261-7849 HOME

CASEY'S WEEKEND WARRIOR KENNELS
ONLY ONE WAY = JESUS CHRIST!!!

birmi1nr

Post by birmi1nr »

IRON EAGLE wrote:I dont know much about Akc . Why do they use a stick to jump a rabbit. Why not let the dogs do it .
No my friend you don't....no sticks used to jump a rabbit in the format in question.

As far as the complaining of the seeing the same judges over and over; the select few judges that you see regularly are the only ones willing to travel 200 -300 miles a weekend, stay and extra night in a hotel room, chase other peoples dogs around for usually 8-14 miles a day, all to give you "Internet Champions That Sit Around" something to complain and talk about. Sounds like a good gig doesn't it; they do the work so others can benefit and complain and want more while they do nothing. But hey thats the world we live in now right?
CEREAL CITY KENNELS
FCGD CEREAL CITY WANGO TANGO
FCGD CEREAL CITY OOH LALA

Hwy 30 kennels

Post by Hwy 30 kennels »

johns03272008 wrote:
Hwy 30 kennels wrote:Sounds like that hit a nerve! Lol
Your more than welcome to call AKC and get them to do that lol I'm sure they will take the time to make that happen :lol:
I don't run akc!!! I have akc hounds lost paperers and requested a duplicate copies 9 months and 100 bucks Later I got my akc papers! Now that's done me in with akc!!! Don't thank i will ever go to akc trial. Akc is not vary organized every thang u do that's akc cost way more then it's worth.. I do not agree with how they judge a dog. Jumping a rabbit is one of the thangs my beagles do I don't go around with a stick jumping rabbits for my dogs!! Akc is destroying the beagle breed if a dog can't jump it's on rabbit then why keep it?

Casey Harner

Post by Casey Harner »

Never seen a judge carry a stick in the Midwest, they do in traditional brace.

Highway,

I bet your change your mind if you stay around for a winners pack in the Midwest. If a winners pack doesn't have pound the ground running, then the judges messed up and picked up the wrong dogs.
Isaiah 53:5
Philippians 3:13-14

RIP Harner's Briar Bashin' Blaze

Coal Run Jody
Harner’s Bush Whacker

Speed is fine, accuracy is final.

Hwy 30 kennels

Post by Hwy 30 kennels »

When akc gives points to dogs that jump a rabbit u might see me at a akc trial?
I don't no about the stick thang just had heard the roomer floating around.. Sounds like something akc would do..
With in the next 20 year every one will see even more dogs that just stand around waiting for a rabbit to be jumped and that's just how it is.... That's why ever one gets so darn up set when it's brought up!!

J Martin

Post by J Martin »

Someone that knows nothing about a format other than what he's heard, bashing that format. :lol: Try going to a trial and seeing for yourself. It might just change your mind! I got a question for ya, Highway30. Do any of your dogs have AKC FC's in their pedigrees? If so, why have them? According to you those FC dogs couldn't jump a rabbit. :roll:
Jonathan Martin
Buffalo Branch Beagles

Parker7

Post by Parker7 »

Does AKC Midwest have a written set of rules or a rule book that a guy could get his hands on. I might run more AKC hunts if I knew the rules. I under stand they have judging seminars but I don't want to judge, I just want to see the rules.

ray s

Post by ray s »

http://images.akc.org/pdf/rulebooks/RF2404.pdf

The Mid-west Beagle Gundog Federation run the vast majority of their trials under the small pack option but, occasionally have Large Pack trials.
There is not a set of rules specific to the Midwest Federation.
Believe me they hunt! The Only thing I've seen that hinders their search is insesant and continuos yapping they call "working the dog". I never constantly call my dogs when I train or hunt. And have not encountered it at that level when hunting or training with others. It takes a while for some dogs to ignor all that chatter and get back to searching. If you have a dog that handles extremely well and you put him in that situation with seven stern, men's voices he will be at your feet.
I've noticed it happens more when rabbits a scarce. But, I have yet to see this activity produce a rabbit where there are none.
Field Champions aren't perfect. They are the ones that were consistently entered in trials and allowed to be judged by others and were found to be more talented than their competitors.
e.g. If half of the beagles that ever existed were never entered in a trial, then, there is a 50/50 chance the most talented beagle ever has never won a trial.

kjohn2hunt

Post by kjohn2hunt »

Go to Berea tomorrow morning and watch Steve and Tony judge the 15' males and see for yourself. They will have one heck of a winners pack put together. I was planning on breaking out 2 males there tomorrow but can't go have work. Don't judge something until you've see it first hand.
RC Johnson's Rock'em Sugar
RC Johnson's Rock'em Jack
RC Copelands Super Dooper
GBC RC Peters P&P Jake
Johnson's Hydro
RC Johnson's Rock'em Voodoo
14 others in the making

johns03272008

Post by johns03272008 »

This carrying around a stick crap cracks me up!!! I have yet to see a judge carry a stick around trying to get rabbits up!! AKC SPO Midwest dogs are free casted and simply hunt while handlers walk also. If we happen to jump a rabbit it would be dumb not to put them on it!!! Also if we have 30 dogs let's get the day moving instead of standing silent waiting on these so called non hunters to jump a rabbit!! That's how dogs get lost and no one knows where their dog is!!!

Besides that hwway30 you might actually like it out there, you should try it before you knock it because watching a winners pack put the heat on a rabbit with little to no break downs is what a dog should do not have 15 sec. Break downs to score a dog or a winner is a dog that stumpled around and found a rabbit and then they couldn't run it like another format I know of!!!
John Schelling
BORN AGAIN KENNELS