F.C> Champions That Stand Around

A general forum for the discussion of hunting with beagles, guns, clothing and other equipment and just talking dawgs! (Tall tales on hunting allowed, but remember, first liar doesn't stand a chance)

Moderators: Pike Ridge Beagles, Aaron Bartlett

brad stewart

Re: F.C> Champions That Stand Around

Post by brad stewart »

In my opinion akc sets the standard so in other words it cost a little more for quality and the judges do what they do because they love to watch dogs run and just be apart of something great I love the sport it could use work but its still the best at least akc lets the dogs hunt they dont put a time limit on it I never could understand that bout arha how can you give a pack of dogs a good look if there all equal under a time limit thats why we run them because at the end of the day the cream rises to the top
if they dont hunt they dont stay

Hwy 30 kennels

Post by Hwy 30 kennels »

J Martin wrote:Someone that knows nothing about a format other than what he's heard, bashing that format. :lol: Try going to a trial and seeing for yourself. It might just change your mind! I got a question for ya, Highway30. Do any of your dogs have AKC FC's in their pedigrees? If so, why have them? According to you those FC dogs couldn't jump a rabbit. :roll:
All the FCs that's in my dogs r from old stock.. FCs r just not what they used to be.. Only thang akc has got going for it is pure breed beagles and that's it!!Hay J Martin u stick with you're akc don't get no points for jumping a rabbit.. And ill do my thang.. Lol

Farm dog

Post by Farm dog »

As an AKC judge, I can tell you that a dog that jumps a rabbit gets score.

Ohiohntr

Post by Ohiohntr »

I am part of the 80% on the list that no longer care to judge even though I am plenty capable.....although, after well over a year of sitting on the sidelines I agreed to judge one single derby trial and the winning hound won the HOY and Runoff....hmmm :lol: ....I'd say he's a good hound and others agreed as well, although you might want to keep reading before you make your final decision.

My lack of accepting judging assignments is mostly due to family constraints but partly due to a-holes running out in the field in my face telling me I don't know my azz from a hole in the ground or cramping their hands up typing in bold letters several days after the trial on the internet. Pretty sure I was even part of the worst judge in 30 years argument.....that too was a joke in that the owners didn't even show up for the winners pack the next day after I ran my azz off all day to bring back 9 great hounds and 8 of the 9 smoked rabbits the next day (the 9th was their hound)....I still regret that I didn't report the no-show to the AKC but it didn't matter anyhow and my PO'dness only came because of an internet attack days later....the dog deserved to be there as he was one of my top scoring hounds coming back, owners loss I guess. :roll:

The guys griping are usually the owners of the dogs that are blowing here there and everywhere or not even in the field of play during the race....it got so old that it was laughable. In most cases they didn't even know what their own dogs were doing on the line, in the field, our out of the dog box. I personally sent one to the truck (ingrained in the brain) for blowing lines....while the idiot was telling me to go f'k myself his dog blew out of the check 3 different ways but he didn't notice. It isn't funny or laughable how kennel blind some have become....I don't trial anymore because I don't have anything I think can win because I know all of my dogs faults, even my FC (yes, FC's have faults...lol)...currently conditioning being a big one. If more would learn to look at the end of their own lead strap instead of others lead straps, the world could be a better place....jealousy is a bi+ch and will make ya look like a fool every time.

Little story on "hunt" to bring this back to the topic......picked up a guys dog for multiple reasons, he gets in my face about how hard his dog was hunting and jumped every rabbit bla bla bla.....a rabbit was jumped right after and he yelled "see _______ just jumped that rabbit, hear him stroking it"....no more than a second later a guy yells "hey _____ I have your dog"....you see, his dog was no where around that rabbit or the jump. :roll: Yes, he looked like a fool.....

I have judged a LOT of FC's, never ever seen one I wouldn't love to own or gun hunt over.....Grind your Axe elsewhere
FC Green Bay Nemasket Singer
FWR Blue Boy's Lightfoot

wildcatfan0309

Post by wildcatfan0309 »

How many posts on this thread have started with "ive never been to a akc trial but"
Lol

Ohiohntr

Post by Ohiohntr »

All that happened while I was typing my novel....dang you all and your short replies!!!

Yes, Check ++ in my book for a jump....cause it's important
FC Green Bay Nemasket Singer
FWR Blue Boy's Lightfoot

hard on a check

Post by hard on a check »

Not sure why some people are under the impression that dogs in AKC don't get scored for jumping rabbits..
"As that is totally not true"..
If judges see a dog jump a rabbit then that dog is awarded a Merit/Score.

johns03272008

Post by johns03272008 »

We are dealing with guys that have either only been to 1 or 2 AKC trials or none, they know nothing about them but think they do because they heard from a guy that knows a guy that knew a guy that knows a guy that went to a trial!!!! I have judged a few trials and I know for a fact when I judged with Farm Dog 2-3x's that we both scored dogs that got the jumps. Matter of fact I remember the first trial I ever judged the other judge and I took the final 2 dogs down to a brace because they where so close on score and we decided the winner was decided by who jumped the next rabbit!!! Wow "kabooom mind explosion" :bomb: didn't think we judged hunt and guess what while the one dog was hunting the other dog quit, "care to take a guess at who won???"

Get off the keyboard and go to a trial or sign up to judge and go earn your way into it by starting off judging some derby trials and prove you want to judge and are honest and love doing it and maybe you will get a phone call to judge one day!!! :bash:
John Schelling
BORN AGAIN KENNELS

LET THE DOGS DO THE TALKING
www.bornagainkennels.weebly.com

johns03272008

Post by johns03272008 »

Parker7 wrote:Does AKC Midwest have a written set of rules or a rule book that a guy could get his hands on. I might run more AKC hunts if I knew the rules. I under stand they have judging seminars but I don't want to judge, I just want to see the rules.
http://classic.akc.org/events/field_trials/beagles/

Go down on the left side to Rules and Regulations and then select Small Pack
John Schelling
BORN AGAIN KENNELS

johns03272008

Post by johns03272008 »

Hwy 30 kennels wrote:
J Martin wrote:Someone that knows nothing about a format other than what he's heard, bashing that format. :lol: Try going to a trial and seeing for yourself. It might just change your mind! I got a question for ya, Highway30. Do any of your dogs have AKC FC's in their pedigrees? If so, why have them? According to you those FC dogs couldn't jump a rabbit. :roll:
All the FCs that's in my dogs r from old stock.. FCs r just not what they used to be.. Only thang akc has got going for it is pure breed beagles and that's it!!Hay J Martin u stick with you're akc don't get no points for jumping a rabbit.. And ill do my thang.. Lol

Hey hwy30 go to AKC SPO RULE BOOK and look at Page 27 section 5-B under Desirable Traits the FIRST one listed is Searching Ability "KABOOM, MIND BLOWING ISNT IT" You mean they actually want us to judge for hunt in dogs???? Wow this is amazing!!!! I guess you can always know everything just from hear say and sitting behind a computer!!! :bash:
John Schelling
BORN AGAIN KENNELS

carl arn

Post by carl arn »

this is the same rule book for brace,spo and large pack figure that one out. now back to the winning hound standing in the gallery look at it this way maybe the judge didnt know were he was? maybe after the rabbit was up he did most of or not all the work it happens

Newt

Post by Newt »

johns03272008 wrote: Hey hwy30 go to AKC SPO RULE BOOK and look at Page 27 section 5-B under Desirable Traits the FIRST one listed is Searching Ability "KABOOM, MIND BLOWING ISNT IT" You mean they actually want us to judge for hunt in dogs???? Wow this is amazing!!!! I guess you can always know everything just from hear say and sitting behind a computer!!! :bash:
The judge can only judge what is brought to the Trial. Maybe the rule book should be changed and "Lack of searching ability" should be under "Disqualifications". The rules specify that hounds should be judged to keep beagles useful for "Hunting". Who would hunt with a pack of dogs that all hung around your feet.

johns03272008

Post by johns03272008 »

Page 31 section 5-E, I have yet to see a bunch of hounds standing around but y'all know more cause you have been to how many???? :bash:
John Schelling
BORN AGAIN KENNELS

Ron Conroe

Post by Ron Conroe »

i have been to a lot of trials, and seen very few dogs just stand around,some might not hunt as hard as others, but very few just stand around, if they do most judges will get them. you guys have to figure out that the world is not perfect.

warddog

Post by warddog »

I've NEVER been to but one beagle trail and it's been so long ago I don't even remember the format but trialed and judged coon hounds for years so I have some knowledge about what goes on under competition and judging. I also know that AKC sets the standard and go back to when UKC was first registering beagles and may even have some of those old yellow registration papers somewhere. I love reading ALL of these questions and concerns as they pertain to trials as they consistently come up on these boards. I'm not knocking ANY registry or format but in reading these types threads many questions arise for those of us who have NEVER participated in a beagle trial but lived with beagles for well over 50 years. A couple questions I have about such trials is, do those judging, have dogs entered in the same trial in which they are judging and does every format have specific objective rules by which dog actions are judged? I have a hard time wrapping my mind around these such actions as my experience in nite hunts tells me if you got a dog standing or milling around and not hunting that dog will not score a strike but may get to a tree regardless of what it does in between. In the case of running rabbits a jump, strike and the bringing the rabbit to a point of being holed or harvested is basically all rabbit hunting is about as the total reason for it is to harvest the game being pursued. I probably never will trail a beagle merely because I really do not understand what can be objectively judged other than jumping, striking and circling it to the point or place in which it can be holes or harvested. I do understand there are going to be losses in there just as there are in coon hunts when you can't see what the hounds are doing but there are strict time limits of recovering or keeping the track open. In all my years of actually rabbit hunting I have NEVER ran after a dog running a rabbit to see what it was doing and in FACT would laugh at anyone who did so as any rabbit hunter knows that a good dog will push it right back to the general vicinity of where the track was started. So I guess I get confused with beagle trials in trying to understand what is actually being judged so as to determine a champion rabbit dog and in the real world how reliable is that? AGAIN not knocking a single thing just trying to understand it all.