Akc vs LP hunts

A general forum for the discussion of hunting with beagles, guns, clothing and other equipment and just talking dawgs! (Tall tales on hunting allowed, but remember, first liar doesn't stand a chance)

Moderators: Pike Ridge Beagles, Aaron Bartlett

east80kennels

Akc vs LP hunts

Post by east80kennels »

how does everyone feel about the two different divisions, akc vs lp. are the 2 formats that much different, as far as judging, scoring. is it that the 2 are much more different from each other, is it the judging or the dogs or what. how much does each division really look at stuff like hunt ect... ect....

Farm dog

Re: Akc vs LP hunts

Post by Farm dog »

Is this you asking or your buddy?

Hwy 30 kennels

Post by Hwy 30 kennels »

Hay farm dog it was hwy 30 kennel that got hacked by his buddy. :lol:

johns03272008

Post by johns03272008 »

As far as comparing AKC to Little Pack is like comparing the NBA to the D League or the MLB Majors to AAA Minor League baseball!!! Similar in some aspects of the game but titles mean more in the Big Leagues!!! Really no comparison if you ask me.
John Schelling
BORN AGAIN KENNELS

LET THE DOGS DO THE TALKING
www.bornagainkennels.weebly.com

east80kennels

Post by east80kennels »

well explain what your talking bout, what does each other look at, look for ect. explain the scoring, judging ect ive been to both and i have experienced to different worlds you might say!!!

littlewoody

Post by littlewoody »

Are the speed the same ?
TheJohnBirchSociety

James Gray

Post by James Gray »

There are a lot fewer AKC hunts.
You are at the mercy of two people.
It takes a lot longer and a LOT more money to get a AKC champion.
It depends MUCH MORE who you are and what bloodline of hound you run in AKC.

I have and do pleasure run, rabbit hunt, and have ran against AKC dogs in LP. I have not seen any difference in caliber of hounds, maybe a little in style in some, but not all hounds. There are A LOT of hounds that are considered by some to be LP hounds that could easily win in AKC if given a fair shake.
LP GRRCH Gray's Magic Mollie(2014 TN State Champ)
LP GRRCH Gray's Blue Angel
LP GRRCH Gray's Run'em Down Katie(2013 AL State Champ)
LP GRRCH Gray's Razor Blade
LP RCH Melton's Mario(2nd 2014 TN ST)

johns03272008

Post by johns03272008 »

Why when people cant win in AKC do they always refer to not getting a fair shake or they got cheated???? Or claim if they where someone else or ran a different blood they would have a chance!!! How about it takes a much better conditioned and trained hound to finish in AKC than it does it LITTLE PACK!!! You can go to a little pack hunt with 8 dogs in 3 or 4 different trials and finish your hound even if you don't win them all!!! Go to a AKC hunt with 8 dogs and see how long it takes to finish a hound!!
John Schelling
BORN AGAIN KENNELS

east80kennels

Post by east80kennels »

boys you fellas are not answering the questions in general, who cares bout the nba, mlb, or what ever where here talking bout dogs and hunts. could someone please answer the questions at the begining of the post lol. :lol:

east80kennels

Post by east80kennels »

akc judges, lp judges, come on chime in lets here some details from both sides!!!! tell what each division is looking for, ect, ect!!!

johns03272008

Post by johns03272008 »

east80kennels wrote:akc judges, lp judges, come on chime in lets here some details from both sides!!!! tell what each division is looking for, ect, ect!!!
I am and I gave you the difference!! AKC wants lock on and roll dogs that can stick with the rabbit and make the turns. Little pack wants a rough running create checks and wait 15 seconds to regain line and continue running. A dog that won't create checks and locks on to The rabbit with minimal quick break downs will not do well according to Little Pack rules unless that dog gets the jump/strike points. Due to hard to score a hound on 15 second break downs if there isn't any!!!
John Schelling
BORN AGAIN KENNELS

JCM

Post by JCM »

In ARHA Little Pack, winning consistently takes a dog that can get a jump in each cast (one hour) and get long checks (over 15 seconds). In 20 years and hundreds of casts competing in LP, the dogs that I see win the majority of the time are the ones that run the most rabbit. These dogs usually get a jump and then get more checks than other hounds in their pack. Although only 15 second checks score, the best rabbit dogs come to the top and usually these are the dogs that score the most checks.

A lot of the best Little Pack dogs have competed in both ARHA and AKC with good results. Every couple years I get the urge to attend an AKC Midwest trial and the best dogs can compete in either association with success. Although the judging is different, the styles of dogs are close enough that a good dog will rise to the top in either type of competition.

The biggest reason why I prefer ARHA Little Pack is dogs of a wider variety of styles can win, the rule book is written with a definitive scoring system, and there are more clubs and opportunities to trial closer to where I live. This is not saying it is better or worse, just that LP fits me better.

The two types of trials are different and running some in both will give you the best overall evaluation of how your hound compares to the better rabbit hounds in your area.

Chimney Rock Kennel

Post by Chimney Rock Kennel »

Labels is what's wrong with field trialling in general. There is good and bad in BOTH formats as well as all the other formats. I've seen great dogs in both lose and I've seen bad dogs in both formats win.
Home of

NrFC LPGRCH Chimney Rock's Bad Moon Rising
FCGD LPRCH Chimney Rock's KY Lucky
NrFC LPGRCH Chimney Rock's Shooting Star

Crow

Post by Crow »

I've ran both. LP has gotten rough, mid-west is as rough as a night in jail. I started running about 11 years ago with LP style dogs. The next couple years my kennel just got faster & rougher. Finally I realized I didn't enjoy running what I had like I did when I started so I got rid of every dog I had & started over. Kept as much speed as possible & cleaned up the style. When I heard all the talk about mid-west & how they are fast & clean I thought "now that sounds like a real deal" so I started talking to some folks. All I heard was how LP dogs are brainless race horses & when I went to a mid-west trial I'd love it. I went & during the course of the unbearably long & wasted hours between groups I witnessed a day of the roughest, wildest, brainless horse racing I have ever saw chasing beagles. I'm not saying all "mid-west" dogs are like this but about 3/4 of the ones present that day were. The "best of the best" that day was fast but turned like a freight train in a check & took about as long to stop when he came to a turn.

I spent a day listening to how bad LP dogs are all the while watching the same guys drool over dogs that wouldn't recognize a check if you wadded it up & smacked them in the butt with it. I won't name names or clubs but they definitely opened my eyes & they were right. I'd never saw beagles run like that before in my life. Definitely helped me put my kennel into perspective. I think I'll just leave the trials to the "real rabbit dawgs" :lol:

brad stewart

Post by brad stewart »

John do you no by experience or just what you heard they also have open and grand and bench there more tilte to when sounds like if its not what you like then its not the best all you had to do is compare the two not put one down
if they dont hunt they dont stay