Who has more influence on pups, parents or grand parents??

A general forum for the discussion of hunting with beagles, guns, clothing and other equipment and just talking dawgs! (Tall tales on hunting allowed, but remember, first liar doesn't stand a chance)

Moderators: Pike Ridge Beagles, Aaron Bartlett

ray s

Re: Who has more influence on pups, parents or grand parents

Post by ray s »

Casey Harner wrote:I just seen pups run like their grand parents. I think they get their looks from their parents!!
I can't debate that.

mn_beagleboy

Post by mn_beagleboy »

http://www.czerwonytrop.com/inb/

I use the sites program and got some idea of which dog has the most influences. I hope the coi program answers the question.
Minnesota Beagler

gwyoung

Post by gwyoung »

I don't even feel like playing this game anymore, Someone knows of a hound that was influenced by it's grandma, or it's Aunt Louise, Really, you mean it? I really don't know of anyone who believes that ALL influence stops at the parents, but until I got on here I never knew anyone who thought that the further back in a pedigree one goes the more influence is exerted, It goes to show you can hear anything on here. I would like to get me some Dingus blood I know a guy who has one that is 8 generations removed but I am waiting to breed to a Grandson of his as I can get more Dingus influence at 10 generations removed than I can at 8. I'm going to bed.

Joshua and Stephanie

Post by Joshua and Stephanie »

Good night
Home of World Champion WDPCH GRPCH 4 G's Ruby Red
GRHBCH GRPCH SCHAGS HELI PROP CHOP
UP & COMING 4 g's run with swagger .com

Lone Pine Beagles

Post by Lone Pine Beagles »

I'd say you can see an ancestors influence up to 3 generations or more.
Especially if an ancestor is linebred it should have more influence over the others.

A few years ago a kid that I know picked up a beagle pup with papers.
He said it looked like my old Rambo dog?
Eventually he brought the pup out so that I could see it.
It did look like pups from Rambo!
By the time the pup was 9 mo. the kid wanted to sell it and get a coonhound.
I bought it and ordered a 4 gen pedigree.
To my amazement...it was a grandson!

Bachman

Post by Bachman »

ray s wrote:.Generational genetic influence

.........................................25% grandparent
.....................50% parent
...........................................25% grandparent

100% pup

....................50% parent
My math might be off but I think that equals 200%.

ken pack

Post by ken pack »

That's what I would think too :!: If you look on this Board seem like some people like that old Blood and try to get as much as they can in a pup. Just For instance a lot of people like to double up or triple up or more on ( JACK OF ALL TRADE or DINGUS ) or what old blood they like LINE BRED JMO[/quote]
What I MEANT was a lot of people that breeds believe that breeding just certain hounds with a lot of JACK or DINGUS will bring out that certain traits in their hounds and WHAT I SAID WAS ( SEEM LIKE SOME PEOPLE ON THIS BOARD LIKE THAT OLD BLOOD AND TRY TO GET AS MUCH IN THEIR PEDIGREE ) or DOUBLE-UP or TRIPLE-UP ON IT :!: Did I SAY ME NO :!: I DIDN'T BUT WHERE DO YOU THINK THAT THE SIRE or DAM GOT THEIR TRAITS FROM GRANDPA and GRANDMA what I REALLY THINK IS you can any of these Traits
from the hounds in the pups 3 Generation . Sire to Grandpa or Great Grandpa and the DAM side TOO. And if you Don't like it GO TOO BED I never seen so many people get so upset :!: I thought this was American and everyone can have there own OPINION on how they believe. Must be some OBAMA MEN OUT their that thinks that they're always right even if they're WRONG. I don't want to offend anyone but like they say people are like :moon: everyone has 1. But I would like too go one step further and say But some people have BIGGER :moon: . And you can include me as :moon: if it make you feel BETTER. JMO

ray s

Post by ray s »

Bachman wrote:
ray s wrote:.Generational genetic influence

.........................................25% grandparent
.....................50% parent

100% pup

....................50% parent
My math might be off but I think that equals 200%.
If you are going to make it an elementary addition exercise ,it would actually be 300%. But if you consider it as a statistical statement...................? :D Don't make me go Chapko on you!!!!!!

gwyoung

Post by gwyoung »

ken Pack, only one who seems upset is you. I am amused. As far as folks having opinions , you seem to be the only one who minds if others have one. Here is my opinion, (don't get all upset because I have one now, ) First off your talk about old blood ten Generations back has nothing to do with what is being discussed. and last but not least you do not know anything about the question asked, tell me again why the further one is back in a pedigree the more influence they exert, Does that REALLY make sense to you ? now I think you genuinely believe that and I am sure Casey does also, I know you boys didn't start that as I heard that long before Casey was even born, along with some other misconceptions, like if a dogs tail is beat up he is a good one, if the roof of his mouth is black he is a good one, if he has long ears he is a good one, If he has pink on his nose he is not a good one, this is just a few of the misconceptions that over time and with education have pretty much been silenced, believe it or not the grandparents misconception used to be as prevalent as the others but with breeders becoming better educated on the matter it is seldom mentioned anymore either and it is for the best, It has never even passed the smell test with knowledgeable breeders. Can a dog act more like one of it's Grandparents than it's parents , sure It can also be red as heck with the only other red dog in it's pedigree being 5 generations back , I guess this proves that the Great, Great, Great, Grandparents have more influence than the parents considering your line of thinking. Because someone disagrees with your opinion does not mean they believe that you are not entitled to one. I said you are wrong, I believe that you are, ( you did say you thought it was the grandparents) It is obvious that you are getting all riled up over my opinion of what you know on the subject. Heck, I might be wrong it is still my opinion respect it as I respect yours, express all of them you want I like it, If in my opinion you are wrong I will say so, If you don't like my opinion just block me out, it won't hurt my feelings . Now, did I say any of that to rile you , no I didn't I just believe a man should be able to take his Whiskey straight, I will remember to put a little soda pop in yours from now on !! Good Running to you!
Last edited by gwyoung on Mon Jan 27, 2014 8:03 am, edited 2 times in total.

mybeagles

Post by mybeagles »

Grandparents can not pass a trait that was not given to the parent. The parents pass 100% of the traits. The trait may be brought out by the other parent but it ALL comes from parent.
Rob’s Ranger Rabbit Hunter (Lefty)
Rose City Quad King’s
DogPatch Fly

likeemfast

Post by likeemfast »

Casey Harner wrote:Who passes more traits off to pups??
The guy (handler) who trains and brings out the best in each pup
Last edited by likeemfast on Mon Jan 27, 2014 8:18 am, edited 2 times in total.
Home of

HOF GRHBCH Dizzy D's Kickin Up Dust
HOF GRHBCH Dizzy D's Ugly Sister
HOF GRHBCH Dizzy D's Top Notch Lacy
(aka UKC HBCH Red Oak Top Notch Lacy)

Woodhavenrabbitdogs

Post by Woodhavenrabbitdogs »

this whole subject is so hard to understand, that is why there are 100 books written on it, noone has came out with a perfect way to dicifer what traits the pups will have, because they will all pull traits from different branches in the pedigree. I too used to believe that pups were going too be always more like the grand parents,but I was sort of correct because my granddad line bred alot of his dogs and that limited the gene pool for the traits to come from. BECAREFULL with the "like the grandparents thinking" because it causes you to look over flaws in the sire and dam and make crosses you other whys would not have. I believe the pup has the potentual to get 50/50 from the parents but it wont - it is going to get more from one than the other and only time will tell -as someone else here said earlier. and those parents are going to like wise pull unevenly from their parents. this is why we must know the earlier generations traits to full understand what we may throw in our own, KEEP RECORDS FELLAS, or our greatgrand kids will be cussing each other over this same question 20 years from now. LOL
Rodney E Miller
Central Ohio
Woodhaven Captain Howdy
Woodhaven White Trailer Trish
Wapajo Hermione

likeemfast

Post by likeemfast »

Dog A (female) jam up rabbit dog Dog B (male) jam up rabbit dog, both grandparents Jam Up Rabbit Dogs, litter out of A and B ...... culls ...... :shock: :shock: :shock: ............ whos to blame?
Home of

HOF GRHBCH Dizzy D's Kickin Up Dust
HOF GRHBCH Dizzy D's Ugly Sister
HOF GRHBCH Dizzy D's Top Notch Lacy
(aka UKC HBCH Red Oak Top Notch Lacy)

sammiller03

Post by sammiller03 »

George Bush...sorry couldnt help myself
Millers Old Line Kennel
Grantsville, Md.

Lil.Bredemeier

Post by Lil.Bredemeier »

likeemfast wrote:Dog A (female) jam up rabbit dog Dog B (male) jam up rabbit dog, both grandparents Jam Up Rabbit Dogs, litter out of A and B ...... culls ...... :shock: :shock: :shock: ............ whos to blame?
Must be that trainer
FCGD Lprch pprch GLOMSKI'S BIG TIME
LpGrch GLOMSKI'S CRIMSON FLAME