Garmin 220 vs 320

A general forum for the discussion of hunting with beagles, guns, clothing and other equipment and just talking dawgs! (Tall tales on hunting allowed, but remember, first liar doesn't stand a chance)

Moderators: Pike Ridge Beagles, Aaron Bartlett

johns03272008

Garmin 220 vs 320

Post by johns03272008 »

Anyone that switched from the Garmin 220 to the Garmin 320 ever see any difference in range on the tracking? Other than Birdseye download was there any major difference?
John Schelling
BORN AGAIN KENNELS

LET THE DOGS DO THE TALKING
www.bornagainkennels.weebly.com

island hare chas'r

Re: Garmin 220 vs 320

Post by island hare chas'r »

SWITHCHED ABOUT 2 MONTHS AGO BUT ALSO SWITCHED FROM DC 40 TO DC 50 NO LONGER HAVE LOSES I PERSONALLY THINK ITS THE COLLARS NOT THE RECIEVER. TO ANSWER THE QUESTION NO DIFFERENCE IN RANGE WITH THE 220 VS. 320

Latch44

Post by Latch44 »

Only big difference is (maybe I am wrong) you cannot track the DC-50 collars with the 220

gunslinger

Post by gunslinger »

The 220 isnt compatible with the birds eye view or the dc50 collar. The dc 40 had the reciever in the battery pack and they moved it back out on the collar on the dc50 so the reception is better.

Smoke'n Mack

Post by Smoke'n Mack »

From my experience's only...My 320 never loses contact with my DC40's, neither do my brother in law's, neither does my buddies that I run with. We all have the 320 and the 40's. I run with madcatter, he is constantly losing contact with his 40's with the 220. I can't explain it. I hear of everyone having problems with their 40's and mine have been rock solid from day 1. I had them in Maine this year with the stock antenna still on the collars and got out over a mile without dropping.

I'd rather be lucky than good any day.

johns03272008

Post by johns03272008 »

The reason I ask is because I have a rooftop antenna and I'm only getting 1.50 miles with the rooftop antenna and also have the extended range tuff skins on the dc30's was wondering if switching to the 320 would add distance but I figured I knew the answer was in the collars
John Schelling
BORN AGAIN KENNELS

snowshoehareguide

Post by snowshoehareguide »

when i got my 320 and dc 40s-- 320 was great - much faster than 220 to get signal-maps come up faster etc - hard on batteries tho---i bought some dc 40s - sent them all back once -one twice----- -is my luck that bad ???? the replacement collars worked almost as good as the dc 30s for about a year- -one day last week i had 3 collars out ,, 2 not working one working ocasionally -one dog hit by a car -- so when is it going to be conveniant for your collar to quit working--????- would like to upgrade to dc 50s -everybody says they work great but how long and how much have you used them---- - garmin needs to test this stuff out BEFORE they sell them---- -how much testing of this stuff can they be doing when they change so much--- i love my garmin when its working but really disapointed in how fast my 40 collars have turned to junk-- :angryfire:
http://harehunter.tripod.com/ snowshoe hare guide service

rabbithunter5890

Post by rabbithunter5890 »

Are the dc 50 collars to big?

tdog

Post by tdog »

John,
Go online and download the latest upgrade for your 220. I did mine and it worked great.. I did upgrade to the 320 later and have no difference in distance.. I like the colors and clarity of the screen better on the 320...

johns03272008

Post by johns03272008 »

tdog wrote:John,
Go online and download the latest upgrade for your 220. I did mine and it worked great.. I did upgrade to the 320 later and have no difference in distance.. I like the colors and clarity of the screen better on the 320...

I just updated like 2 weeks ago. Is there another update? Is there a way to update the satalite info for further tracking????
John Schelling
BORN AGAIN KENNELS

steve w

Post by steve w »

snowshoehareguide wrote:when i got my 320 and dc 40s-- 320 was great - much faster than 220 to get signal-maps come up faster etc - hard on batteries tho---i bought some dc 40s - sent them all back once -one twice----- -is my luck that bad ???? the replacement collars worked almost as good as the dc 30s for about a year- -one day last week i had 3 collars out ,, 2 not working one working ocasionally -one dog hit by a car -- so when is it going to be conveniant for your collar to quit working--????- would like to upgrade to dc 50s -everybody says they work great but how long and how much have you used them---- - garmin needs to test this stuff out BEFORE they sell them---- -how much testing of this stuff can they be doing when they change so much--- i love my garmin when its working but really disapointed in how fast my 40 collars have turned to junk-- :angryfire:
I have had my 6 DC40's for two years and have never updated or had to send them back, the only problem I have had is with antenna's. The stock antenna's from Garmin really don't last that long and when they break down you get signal loss and decrease in range.I make it a point to keep extra antenna's, have you tried replacing yours snowshoehareguide?

snowshoehareguide

Post by snowshoehareguide »

STEVE ive replaced antennas a couple times on 2 of them- it seemed to help the first time on both and not the second time on one the other maybe---works sometimes-- i havent trusted it enuff to use it lately - signal was off and on pretty close range last time i used it- -- the one that works best now still has original antenna -one of my dc 30s still has original antenna there is a real good example of a design flaw that could be fixed easily- the 40 i have with original antenna i filled under backer plate and collar with silicone before i ever used it -- reduces vibration - all that movement works down the antenna to very fragile conector on the end - corrodes or breaks - you dont need to be an engineer to see this is bound to happen sooner or later -bend a wire back n forth and it breaks -they are breaking right at the conection - similiar antenna on a telemetry collar can lasts 20+ years --- id like to see them with antenna like marshall collar ,flexible but rugged- ,how bout a heavy rubber plate on both sides of collar and BOLTED together - need to keep the water out and put the stress on the antenna cable -not the fitting on the end - even if antenna breaks- itwould be where you can see it -
http://harehunter.tripod.com/ snowshoe hare guide service

Smoke'n Mack

Post by Smoke'n Mack »

steve w wrote:
snowshoehareguide wrote:when i got my 320 and dc 40s-- 320 was great - much faster than 220 to get signal-maps come up faster etc - hard on batteries tho---i bought some dc 40s - sent them all back once -one twice----- -is my luck that bad ???? the replacement collars worked almost as good as the dc 30s for about a year- -one day last week i had 3 collars out ,, 2 not working one working ocasionally -one dog hit by a car -- so when is it going to be conveniant for your collar to quit working--????- would like to upgrade to dc 50s -everybody says they work great but how long and how much have you used them---- - garmin needs to test this stuff out BEFORE they sell them---- -how much testing of this stuff can they be doing when they change so much--- i love my garmin when its working but really disapointed in how fast my 40 collars have turned to junk-- :angryfire:
I have had my 6 DC40's for two years and have never updated or had to send them back, the only problem I have had is with antenna's. The stock antenna's from Garmin really don't last that long and when they break down you get signal loss and decrease in range.I make it a point to keep extra antenna's, have you tried replacing yours snowshoehareguide?
Same here. I've had 1 antenna snap off in 2 years. I have 2 extra tuff skin's in the box just in case. In my opinion, 2 years is a pretty good run for a 12 dollar piece of equipment that takes a beating.

steve w

Post by steve w »

One other thing comes to mind, I had trouble one day with signal loss and could not understand why, all the collars were in good shape. Turned out the antenna on the 320 was loose. I keep it in my coat when possible and put it in and take it out of the pocket by holding on to the antenna,. I must twist it when removing or replacing.

Owl Creek

Post by Owl Creek »

where can I fine antennas for the 30s?
STEVE SERINI
owlcreek@ymail.com
573-701-4646

1 Corinthians 13:4-8