Tail Banding

A general forum for the discussion of hunting with beagles, guns, clothing and other equipment and just talking dawgs! (Tall tales on hunting allowed, but remember, first liar doesn't stand a chance)

Moderators: Pike Ridge Beagles, Aaron Bartlett

J Martin

Tail Banding

Post by J Martin »

I'm sure this has been discussed on this board before, but I am looking to hear from those of you that have banded a dogs tail. I have a female that has been loosing a lot of blood when running. I know dogs get bloody, when running through thick briars. But she is not the typical tip of the tail bloody, I'm talking sides and tail soaked in blood. It happens everytime out, pretty quickly. She has never gotten weak from the blood loss though, until tonight. She was falling behind in the race and when I caught her she acted really lethargic. I gave her some honey when I got home for some quick energy, then fed her. She is almost back to her normal self already. I'm thinking her tail needs to be banded, but I've never done it before. Those of you that have experience doing it, could you give a little instruction as to how to do it properly with minimal complications? Also, where can I get the stuff to do it? Thanks!
Jonathan Martin
Buffalo Branch Beagles

BCBeagles

Re: Tail Banding

Post by BCBeagles »

Call me Jonathan, I have done this on several and been successful each time.

Take care!

pilotknob

Post by pilotknob »

I'm up in Berea,if you want to bring her up this way sometime I have everything to do it with.It's real easy once you've done it a time or two.

ray s

Post by ray s »

http://americanbeagler.huntingboards.co ... ng#p468235
This tread should answer a lot of tail banding questions.

bigdogs0074

Post by bigdogs0074 »

You can get the bull bands from tractor supply, put the band under the hair below the raw place, and make sure you have it in the joint,

Alabama John

Post by Alabama John »

Good advice here.
I will add to easily pull the loose skin and hair of the tail toward the dogs body so when the tail falls off there is enough extra skin with hair on it on it to cover the raw end. No big deal as hair and skin will eventually grow over the raw bald end, but this looks better quicker. Put the tail that fell off in your hat band!!!

HAND ME DOWN BEAGLES

Post by HAND ME DOWN BEAGLES »

We have done several with goat bands and had good results. Pulling the hair and skin back so it will slide up and cover the end looks a lot better as mentioned in an earlier post. Make sure the band is between the joints when you set it. One final thought. If she is weak now you might feed her some raw beef liver to replace the iron she is losing.

J Martin

Post by J Martin »

Thanks for the replies, guys. This is the first time I've been on here since I started this thread. I have been pretty busy this week with college midterms. I think the older thread Ray pulled up explained what I needed to know.
Jonathan Martin
Buffalo Branch Beagles