running in off season

A general forum for the discussion of hunting with beagles, guns, clothing and other equipment and just talking dawgs! (Tall tales on hunting allowed, but remember, first liar doesn't stand a chance)

Moderators: Pike Ridge Beagles, Aaron Bartlett

cmdawson5

Re: running in off season

Post by cmdawson5 »

i wait till dark then turn them loose i have lights on all my collars

Norshore

Post by Norshore »

In the wild...year round.

Tim@GunDogMagic

Post by Tim@GunDogMagic »

I run mostly on private land close to home and to get out as often as I can!

Tim Broadwell
http://www.gundogmagic.com

gpen08

Post by gpen08 »

Run in pen in off season more so than in wild. Not by choice but necessity. Agree that rabbits definitely run different in pen. I think its much harder for a dog to stay on a rabbit that has been run a hundred times than one that has been run a few times. Negative is dogs get lazy and will walk mowed strips instead of staying in brush. Good dog it isn't a problem.

bigcfromrbc

Post by bigcfromrbc »

Smoke'n Mack wrote:
bigcfromrbc wrote:I won't run in the rain
You're missin out. A light rain in the spring/summer time and the manbrella...hang on.
I don't mean sprinkling. I mean rain where nothing wants to be out in it lol I really enjoy running on foggy mornings the best.

PREACHERS KENNEL

Post by PREACHERS KENNEL »

I run year round ,, run more during season, but at least 1 time a week .rest of year even when hot, I just run at night some or very early..
ACTS 2:38=repent,baptised in the name of jesus christ,receive the holy ghost!

PREACHERS KENNEL

Post by PREACHERS KENNEL »

I run year round ,, run more during season, but at least 1 time a week .rest of year even when hot, I just run at night some or very early..
ACTS 2:38=repent,baptised in the name of jesus christ,receive the holy ghost!

Richie Foster

Post by Richie Foster »

Been outa beagles for 20years haven't had any since I was a kid just got back into it about Christmas bought my boys a few beagles my oldest is interested in trialing we are having a great time running every weekend with the kids and I run every chance I get ran 4hr yesterday.

reddog1

Post by reddog1 »

I have a permit to run in my 5 acre pen and I'm also going to register my buddies 120 acre. The permits are free, you just need to let the DNR where the training grounds will be in the section. Signs must be posted every 150 feet around the perimiterof the property.

steve w

Post by steve w »

I run down in Indiana, sure wish we here in MI would do like they do there and have designated training area's on the state land and open all year on private. Seems to work good there.

rabbitatfarm

Post by rabbitatfarm »

Steve W;

You're welcome to come run with me. I don't know if it's any closer. I have a training permit and lots of rabbits on 80 acres. 616-896-1140. I'm 10 miles north of Allegan. Hope they have another youth hunt next year.
LP R Ch Quick Strike Go Go Boots
LP R Ch Quick Strike Big Red

steve w

Post by steve w »

Thank you Larry, I'll give you a call soon. And I am quite sure there will be another youth hunt next year. Ken the DNR biologist was thrilled with the whole thing and I received a call from MUCC following up on it, I gave them a good report so hopefully they keep interest too.With help from Mother Nature it will be a little more productive with better weather next year. I think the kids will have fun regardless.

tom summers

Post by tom summers »

Just curious why not run in rain. It really can be good as long as not pouring down.
Thanks , Tom

hurryup

Post by hurryup »

I run year round. When it gets really hot be sure to run by a pond or creek. Great running in summer. We have dog training areas on public land and also run private.. Great time to fish n run your dog.
Visit Our Website

Hurry Up Beagles.Com

island ridge hounds

Post by island ridge hounds »

our intent is to run year round, but sometime its just to hot here in oklahoma. if its 80 degree's in the morning say 4 or 5 a clock then i just go back to bed. you can go but the hounds will ran a rabbit about a 180 circle and come back with 2 foot long tongues and wanting water. just not worth wasting the time to be out there. its a good time to work on other stuff handling and if you put dogs on the bench work with them for that. we also run in the wild and try and run where the rattler's aren't abundant.
let honesty run through the veins of each and every judge at each and every trial at each and
every format.