Which do you prefer ?

A general forum for the discussion of hunting with beagles, guns, clothing and other equipment and just talking dawgs! (Tall tales on hunting allowed, but remember, first liar doesn't stand a chance)

Moderators: Pike Ridge Beagles, Aaron Bartlett

BCBeagles

Re: Which do you prefer ?

Post by BCBeagles »

I saw a scenario at one of the last trials I was at with the WFO boys judging. Same scenario as proposed, not exact, but very similar.

They gave it to the correct dog, which in my opinion is dog A...... I love dog B and mistake free, but as said earlier sometimes they just aren't doing enough work...

Blue Chaser

Post by Blue Chaser »

I'm with dog A as well. I like a fast dog that pushes the edge and drives a rabbit and it sounds like dog B played it safe and picked up the slack here and there to get his points. Maybe 4 of the 6 points dog B got were on the 4 faults dog A had. I'd rather see dog B get his points by being better than dog A rather than pick up points when dog A gets a little too aggressive.

Casey Harner

Post by Casey Harner »

I like dog B. Dog B can get his merits when the the pack screws up. It's a sight to see a middle of the pack dog turn with the track and keep on truckin'. A dog that keeps his level of composure as they make turn after turn.

Dog A's best days are when the conditions are perfect. He will look great and won't have to gamble as much if any, though the tough scenting days will be Dogs B. His cleaner approach and tighter check work will be needed more than foot and competitiveness.
Isaiah 53:5
Philippians 3:13-14

RIP Harner's Briar Bashin' Blaze

Coal Run Jody
Harner’s Bush Whacker

Speed is fine, accuracy is final.

Hare Chaser

Post by Hare Chaser »

For years I would have said dog A. I've come too have a greater appreciation for dog B and would choose that style given the choice as long as It is doing its own work and not being adversely effected by what dog A is doing.

Chimney Rock Kennel

Post by Chimney Rock Kennel »

Sounds to me like dog A would be the way to go with just because if someone is saying at the end of the day a dog has done nothing wrong and still had positive score something is being overlooked. If a dog runs with any effort at all it will mess up and warrant a minus or demerit or else we got a perfect hound and I haven't seen any of those yet! Like someone else stated if you ain't messing up you ain't trying hard enough just my opinion.
Home of

NrFC LPGRCH Chimney Rock's Bad Moon Rising
FCGD LPRCH Chimney Rock's KY Lucky
NrFC LPGRCH Chimney Rock's Shooting Star

Ohiohntr

Post by Ohiohntr »

Sounds like a brace for the win is in order....One of the two will rise to the top or show their backside, no reason to be in a hurry.

If we are talking about what type of dog we prefer to own of dog A and B......I've trialed and owned both (still do)...Top dog in my signature is my "A"....bottom one is "B"....still searching for "A 1/2" :lol:

Dog A - hellava lot of fun to own but you have to know you might be the first dog picked up or you might win it all, probably not much in-between. When they click, they click, and when things start going good for them you better do everything in your power to get them to the trials. These types of hounds don't sit around the circuit long and are usually finished by 3-4 years old or less unless they blow up or start making major habitual mistakes.

Dog B - you have a pretty good idea your gonna be in the WP while your are driving to the trial because you have that much confidence your dog will stay clean and get enough score to get through the next round. However, be prepared to get your wallet out because it might take awhile to finish him or her, if you ever do...it can be very frustrating. This kinda dog generally needs to catch a break (jump a rabbit, cut the pack, pick a long check...etc) to get noticed when it gets down to 5. Also, you will need more than one shoebox for all the ribbons you will collect. ;)
FC Green Bay Nemasket Singer
FWR Blue Boy's Lightfoot

BCBeagles

Post by BCBeagles »

Boy that is an accurate description....right on!

Hare Chaser

Post by Hare Chaser »

OK........so are we talkiing trials only? What if you're a guy who only keeps a couple of dogs and wants a consistent gun dog that can trial also? Day in and day out is it dog A or B?

madcatter

Post by madcatter »

why are you scoring faults????
running off game is also permitted in akc.

Ohiohntr

Post by Ohiohntr »

Hare Chaser wrote:OK........so are we talkiing trials only? What if you're a guy who only keeps a couple of dogs and wants a consistent gun dog that can trial also? Day in and day out is it dog A or B?
Dog B....IMO

I'll relate it to golf irons....
Dog A - Blades
Dog B - Oversized Cavity Backs

Blades are great if you play all the time and once you learn to hit them you can really dial them in. However, when your swing is off they can be REAL unforgiving and embarrassing to the point of wanting to quit the game.

Cavity Back irons will allow you to play with anyone and still compete at a high level. Cavity Backs are extremely forgiving and when playing against a guy with Blades you hope he is not on that day.

Not sure if that makes sense but while driving to the course it popped in my head...lol

By the way...I play Cavity backs and lean towards Dog B anymore because I don't have enough time to do either very well. ;)
FC Green Bay Nemasket Singer
FWR Blue Boy's Lightfoot

Hare Chaser

Post by Hare Chaser »

[/quote] Dog B....IMO

I'll relate it to golf irons....
Dog A - Blades
Dog B - Oversized Cavity Backs

Blades are great if you play all the time and once you learn to hit them you can really dial them in. However, when your swing is off they can be REAL unforgiving and embarrassing to the point of wanting to quit the game.

Cavity Back irons will allow you to play with anyone and still compete at a high level. Cavity Backs are extremely forgiving and when playing against a guy with Blades you hope he is not on that day.

Not sure if that makes sense but while driving to the course it popped in my head...lol

By the way...I play Cavity backs and lean towards Dog B anymore because I don't have enough time to do either very well. ;)[/quote]

:check: