The "Can't be bought hounds"

A general forum for the discussion of hunting with beagles, guns, clothing and other equipment and just talking dawgs! (Tall tales on hunting allowed, but remember, first liar doesn't stand a chance)

Moderators: Pike Ridge Beagles, Aaron Bartlett

Hare Chaser

The "Can't be bought hounds"

Post by Hare Chaser »

Who has them and what makes them "priceless"?

rabbitatfarm

Re: The "Can't be bought hounds"

Post by rabbitatfarm »

I'm too attached. I'd never sell any of my dogs. They may not be FCs, but they are my dogs. Money just doesn't mean that much to me. Their "loyalty" to me is priceless.
LP R Ch Quick Strike Go Go Boots
LP R Ch Quick Strike Big Red

littlewoody

Post by littlewoody »

rabbitatfarm wrote:I'm too attached. I'd never sell any of my dogs. They may not be FCs, but they are my dogs. Money just doesn't mean that much to me. Their "loyalty" to me is priceless.
+1
TheJohnBirchSociety

Hare Chaser

Post by Hare Chaser »

Does that mean you guys keep every hound you raise from a pup or buy no matter what??

rabbitatfarm

Post by rabbitatfarm »

Pretty much. I've only had beagles for a few years so I don't have that many. It depends on your goals. I have two litter mates I trial and hunt and two siblings that I hunt/run. My best check dog is too tall to trial but I love to hear him run/hunt. If I had one that wasn't cutting it, I'd try to find it a good home.
LP R Ch Quick Strike Go Go Boots
LP R Ch Quick Strike Big Red

ironjawdawgs

Post by ironjawdawgs »

Hare Chaser wrote:Who has them and what makes them "priceless"?
To me personally the "what makes them priceless" comes into play when I feel confident that I would be spending more money on multiple hounds just to replace a set of traits, characteristics, or abilities held by one particular hound. Let's face it, not very often do we produce a hound that holds everything we strive for. But when one comes along that possesses the majority of "my most preferred" traits, characteristics, abilities it'd be wise to hang onto them regardless of profit. Because in due time that profit will quickly dwindle while pursuing purchase after purchase of the next "priceless hound". That's just my point of view obviously.

littlewoody

Post by littlewoody »

Hare Chaser wrote:Does that mean you guys keep every hound you raise from a pup or buy no matter what??
For me the answer is yes. I'm just a hunter but if I ran trials I would only keep the best .
Last edited by littlewoody on Wed Sep 24, 2014 10:02 am, edited 1 time in total.
TheJohnBirchSociety

ironjawdawgs

Post by ironjawdawgs »

And no, I do not keep every hound I raise.

duckbuster38401

Post by duckbuster38401 »

I don’t have yet to have one. I am picky and too judgmental when it comes to my dogs. I always find a fault, I have sold some and regretted it.
Jason McMeen
931-446-1467

South Woods kennel

Post by South Woods kennel »

it would takes huge price to get FC South Woods Cyclone outa my kennel.... Won't even price her!
Home of:

FC Lp South Woods Snooper
FC South Woods Cyclone
FC South Woods Miley
FC Lp South Woods Balla
CNLPC IFC South Woods Libby
NR FC South Woods Spike
FC South Woods Hazel

Shady Grove Beagles

Post by Shady Grove Beagles »

Basically the hounds I have at this time "can't be bought" because I don't want to sell them.I'm by no means a rich guy but I am doing okay financially so I'm under no pressure to sell the dogs whose personalities and performance please/satisfy me.
I seldom keep more than 4-5 dogs and the ones I keep I get fairly well attached to them as my hunting companions and we end up spending an awful lot of time in the woods together.Just because somebody may show up in my yard with more money in their pocket than I have doesn't mean they get to own my dog!
Over the past 45 years of having hunting dogs I've heard many guys say"everything in my kennel is for sale". Makes me wonder how satified he is with what he's running???
Either that or the money is more important than the dogs and to that caveat emptor----let the buyer beware.
Home of a true hunting beagle that run to catch

Blue Chaser

Post by Blue Chaser »

Mine won't be bought simply out of the fact that he has a special connection with my son and I. My son picked him out when he was 6 and they have been best friends ever since. He does the job for me as far as hunting but seeing those two together and enjoying the time they have could never be bought for anything.

Hare Chaser

Post by Hare Chaser »

I can part with a dog that doesn't suit me. Money has never meant much to me and has never been able to separate me from a dog that I was happy with. I suppose if there was an extenuating circumstance or emergency where the welfare of my family was at stake I would do it. Otherwise this is the last home dogs I'm happy with have.

cjones

Post by cjones »

Some dogs you just know that if sold you will not be able to replace them. For me grch bch Logan Elm Red Rambler is not for sale. I know what he is capable of and I know what he will do for my kennel over the span of his life. I shouldn't say I wouldn't sell him but I doubt anyone would be willing to pay what it would take for me to part with him. I have turned down more money than I ever thought anyone would offer me for a beagle.
LPGRCH GBCH Saten's Big Time Bodie
LPGRCH GBCH Staten's Blue Honey
LPRCH Windy Ridge Boy Named Sue
LPRCH BCH BLK'S Little Girl
Staten's Up Front Ami

bigcfromrbc

Post by bigcfromrbc »

It all depends on how the dog runs, and if it suits me. I normally raise a pup I buy off of someone. Not a lot of rabbits to run where I live or good spots for that matter. They learn to be hard hunters, and that's the biggest quality for me. After that if I enjoy having them I'll decide to keep the pup or not. Just depends on how one is doing. I don't sell it because it's not doing good, or it's got something really wrong with it. I'm just picky. I've got two gyps right now that aren't for sale. Both hunt hard for me. One runs a track better then the other, and the other is a better check dog. Their not far behind each other in those area's though.

I do have dogs for sale, but I have a few that aren't for sale as well. Now if I can get a male going to my liking I'll be happy lol