Who would you breed to?

A general forum for the discussion of hunting with beagles, guns, clothing and other equipment and just talking dawgs! (Tall tales on hunting allowed, but remember, first liar doesn't stand a chance)

Moderators: Pike Ridge Beagles, Aaron Bartlett

rabbit chaser

Re: Who would you breed to?

Post by rabbit chaser »

What trait does your dog lack? Even the best have a weakness somewhere. I'd find a dog that has a strength where yours is weaker and hope it comes through stronger in the cross.
Thumper Jumpin Kennels-home of:
Thumper Jumpin Luck-E-Colt
Thumper Jumpin Lil Terror on Paws
Behne's oopsie daisy
Behne's lady

bigcfromrbc

Post by bigcfromrbc »

I'm not 100% sure. The longer I've had her, and put time into her she's continued to improve. I want to say it's her track work, but I've seen her do some good stuff lately. I've always felt she was a nice little check dog. To me her fault is her mouth. She get's real excited sometimes and just opens. She's gotten better with age about it,but still has her moments. She's gritty enough to where I've been shocking her when she mouths, and she continues to hunt. She has tightened up some already. I won't lie. I do like a dog to bark a bit before the rabbit is up. I focus on gun hunting. I know out in the field with a gun sometimes it takes longer then three minutes to get one to jump. Especially if it's sitting real tight. I feel like she could possibly drive a rabbit a little harder, but I know she does a good job of picking a rabbit up and she does lead the track on Sam from time to time.

She has qualities I approve of. She hunts the woods down, has tons of desire where she has never quit on me, and I've been seen some real intelligent things out of her. I was soloing her before the trail, and a rabbit came up the hill, and down to me. Stopped, turned, and the little guy went right were he came from. I was curious to see how she would run it so I made sure to pay attention. She done what I hoped. Instead of running up to me and having to turn around she picked it right up where it had turned.

I've considered selling her, and had several people tire kick me on her which was another reason to solo her. I've seen stuff out of her that reminds me of my best dog, and the more she gets worked with the more she improves. Why I've decided to keep her, and want to breed her as well. I believe I've found the dog I want to breed her to. Just have to see the hound run, but from what I gather he has what I look for and much more.

I'll still keep my options open cause I'm going to breed my grade gyp some time too. I have to be more selective on her cause I only have so much info on her breeding. Her Sire is directly out of Branko's Blue Beard. Sadly my buddy can't remember the Dam to his dog and since he lost the hound he threw away papers lol

It's not like she'll be breed in the next week. She should hit her second heat cycle in the next month or so, and the more things die out the easier it is for me to see her work. I'm not in a hurry and I want to make sure I make the right selection for her.

beagleman606

Post by beagleman606 »

If she was mine, I would talk to Farrell Smith about breeding her to Dirt Road Zipper. HOF reproducer that crosses well with tuff bred females with hard hunt and Farrell is great to deal with. He's 13, so I would try that as soon as I could if you're interested.
"And this is his commandment, That we should believe on the name of his Son Jesus Christ..." 1 John 3:23

Norshore

Post by Norshore »

FCGD Mt. State Blue Bud, that's where I would spend my money.

bigcfromrbc

Post by bigcfromrbc »

I've got two hounds in mind to breed to. Just have to make a decision lol

hallmountainman

Post by hallmountainman »

If you're looking to emphasize the Maravic's, Branko, and Parsley's aspect of her pedigree, as well as breed to a male with superior hunt, desire, and intelligence, I would suggest GRCH HBCH Hall Mtn See Spot Run. He is throwing superior intelligence into his puppies as well, and has crossed well with females of similar breeding, including Reffett's, with an upcoming cross to a Branko/Reffett's female as well. His conformation, as well as the conformation his puppies are showing, is certainly noteworthy as well. AKC, UKC, & ARHA registered as well as DNA profiled.

We are located in Virginia.

Spot: http://hallmountainrabbitbeagles.weebly.com/spot.html

It appears that you have narrowed your choices at this point, but Spot is certainly one to consider given the traits of your female and the traits you are looking for in a stud.
Hall Mountain Rabbit Beagles
Philip Hall and Hunter Hall

http://hallmountainrabbitbeagles.weebly.com

JUDE

Post by JUDE »

also sounds like The Big Show might be a good one to breed her to!
Jude's Beagles

Always in search of a more perfect hound!

Strivingfortheperfectrabbitdawg

bigcfromrbc

Post by bigcfromrbc »

Thanks for all the important guys. This will help me make sure I make a quality choice. I want to do my best to make sure I have good pups come out. Help the breed and not have pups just because I can.

cjones

Post by cjones »

I may be prejudice but I would breed to Grch bch Logan Elm Red Rambler. Alot of foot , hunt and a great check dog.
LPGRCH GBCH Saten's Big Time Bodie
LPGRCH GBCH Staten's Blue Honey
LPRCH Windy Ridge Boy Named Sue
LPRCH BCH BLK'S Little Girl
Staten's Up Front Ami