Starting pen?

A general forum for the discussion of hunting with beagles, guns, clothing and other equipment and just talking dawgs! (Tall tales on hunting allowed, but remember, first liar doesn't stand a chance)

Moderators: Pike Ridge Beagles, Aaron Bartlett

LoneBeagle

Starting pen?

Post by LoneBeagle »

Alright, may be a dumb question here. I keep hearing about starting pens. And I'm not 100% sure what folks are talking about. Assuming they are talking about an area of land that is fenced to keep rabbits from escaping, place rabbits inside and then turn dogs loose. Similar to a running pen for coyotes. Is this correct? Or am I missing the boat?

David Bowers

Re: Starting pen?

Post by David Bowers »

Correct!!!!!!!!!!!
http://sqdawgs.com/LOOK OUT THE WAY HE WENT KENNELS

LoneBeagle

Post by LoneBeagle »

Is there and right or wrong way to build a starting pen? I have the land available to build varying sizes, it's the budget that is limited. This the thought inside my head right now, balancing my need with my budget:

Thinking about using 4ft tall chicken wire/ poultry mesh ran along my barb wire fence. The size would be approximately 30 yards long by 20 yards wide. Have several smaller limbs, small brush pile, leave some patches of grass. Put the bunny in the pen moments before the dogs and catch him shortly after they are done playing. Coyotes are thick and leaving them any longer my cost me my bunnies.

Does this sound like a viable starting pen? Too big or too small? Considerations?

rabbitatfarm

Post by rabbitatfarm »

Too small, unless you just have puppies, and even then a half-acre would be better. A rabbit would just get going and hit a fence in pen that small. We all face that want/budget dilemma.

Larry
LP R Ch Quick Strike Go Go Boots
LP R Ch Quick Strike Big Red

LoneBeagle

Post by LoneBeagle »

Good advice. I will see what the cost would be to just fence the 4 acres. Barb wire is already there, so it would just be attaching to it to prevent the rabbit from escape. How tall should this fence be?

rabbitatfarm

Post by rabbitatfarm »

Most guys use the five-foot apron fence. It's hinged so about 12" folds so the rabbits can't dig out or something else dig in. Four acres would be a nice-sized pen. You might be able to recoup some of the cost starting pups for others. Fence runs around a dollar a foot. You could probably get a good discount for the amount you'd need. Check a Red Brand supplier, like TSC, or try Byrne Fence. A square four acres, 840 x 840, would take about 23 rolls.

Larry
LP R Ch Quick Strike Go Go Boots
LP R Ch Quick Strike Big Red

Ole Mule

Post by Ole Mule »

If I already have an area fenced in with chain link fence and wanted to keep rabbits in, if adding 1 inch chicken wire to the bottom how high would you need it to be on the chain link fence.
Stlnifr the Silent Hunter.
Rock Hollow Roxy
Rock Hollow Mabel
Rock Hollow Weasaw