STUD DOGS

A general forum for the discussion of hunting with beagles, guns, clothing and other equipment and just talking dawgs! (Tall tales on hunting allowed, but remember, first liar doesn't stand a chance)

Moderators: Pike Ridge Beagles, Aaron Bartlett

LightningBeagles

Re: STUD DOGS

Post by LightningBeagles »

I agree with what was said about getting pups in the hands of beaglers that put quality time into them. The right environment and training is key. Sure every cross is a gamble, but trying to eliminate variables strengthen the odds of a better turnout of pups. What sickens me is seeing the same people on here and other boards that buy up these high powered bred up pups just to let them set in the kennel and do nothing with them. I see it all the time then 4 to 6 months later or even longer their up for sale with excuses of selling them. Some people need to be patient and only keep what they can truly handle. Also you don't have to keep a pup out of every cross. If it works out cross it again or put out some money and buy the pup back. Jmo
Lightning Strike Kennel
Jeremy Geiger

IFC Litaway's Capitain Pickard @ Stud
FTCH Split Rocks Pink Floyd
HBCH JG'S Tuff Weedeater Dixie
HBCH JG'S She's A Hot Mess
GRHBCH JG'S Oscar Wild

S.R.Patch

Post by S.R.Patch »

I like to start my puppies myself, giving them all the same exposure and opportunity, that way I can get a clue as to how their early development progresses and whats in their nature from the parents, looking for a high percentage of "take-afters" and uniformity in the litter.
In the UK, they use the stud dog for structure and masculinity, a top hound in quality no less but his stamping the pups with balance in conformation and strength is paramount to perform and procreate for the future. The bitches are selected more for their unseen but tested qualities of hunt, nose, desire and good motherly merit. But the dog should stamp his pups with the "hey, look at me" quality. jmho

A stud dog is any dog that causes a bitch to become in whelp and deliver some number of pups. A reproducer is any dog that stamps his likeness and a marked improvement on the the majority of his pups.
Have you or ever seen someone see and young hound in a lot or running a rabbit and ask or say, "is that a ****** pup or dog?" A producer will stamp his pups with this kind of recognizable look/structure and actions. jmho

outrider66

Post by outrider66 »

I agree with these last 2 posts 100% these dogs are bred up to be competitive and need ran ! If you think you are going to order
up a pup out of lpfc champs and run out behind the barn on weekends you will probably not be happy ! What you will get out
of most of them is what you put into them, IMO . most of us dont have a pen to put them in in the AM and let them run all day so ya
got to make time to train a dog these days. If you are serious about realy doing it! Fact is it takes a lot of time to finish a dog.time
alot of folks dont have!!