What becomes of your old hunting dogs?

A general forum for the discussion of hunting with beagles, guns, clothing and other equipment and just talking dawgs! (Tall tales on hunting allowed, but remember, first liar doesn't stand a chance)

Moderators: Pike Ridge Beagles, Aaron Bartlett

Panther Creek

Re: What becomes of your old hunting dogs?

Post by Panther Creek »

Eva's Beagles wrote:After 11 years of living in an outside kennel, and busting her tail for me, this is where Ruby ended up. Gives me an open kennel for the new pup.

This is what my old dog Sadie would be doing if my wife would let her be a house dog.

She's 13, runs around in the yard some. She don't hunt anymore. Vet tells me she has a heart murmer.
She has a place in my kennel til the day she dies.
Panther Creek Beagles
Be faithful unto death, and I will give you a crown of life. Rev. 2:10

Newt

Post by Newt »

There is a central theme of misconception on this thread. Beagles don't hunt for you. They hunt for themselves. That is why I have to keep the good ones in a pen. If not they would be out running all the time and be lost or exhausted when I want to go with them. :) I need a shock collar to make them quit so I can go home.
Don't believe it? A couple years ago I bought a young female. I didn't like her so I loaned her to a rabbit hunter who used her for hunting. After the season, I got her back. I turned her loose and she ran one rabbit and returned to the house. I "encouraged" her to get out and hunt. She disappeared for a couple of days, then I got a phone call from a neighbor. He told me my dog was laying on his porch and had been there for a couple of days. Hmmm? If they don't want to hunt for themselves, you can't make them hunt for you.

deerhost

Post by deerhost »

I dont see getting rid of a dog at 5 years old. Dave I know you understand that we go thru at least 10 pups before I get one really good all around dog. I mean a dog that is well rounded, good in the kennel, good nose, good hunt and so on and so on. Once I finally get a good one there is no way I am getting rid of it at 5. If you run an older dog, keep it in shape, don't over feed it, chances are she will be able to run for a good while into her late years and by the time she stops running she may only survive another year or two. Not much to let a dog lay around for a couple of years. I have an 11 year old that runs and sure she lags behind a little but when the pack breaks down she is the one putting them back on the rabbit. Getting rid of her at 5 would have been crazy......Just my opinion.....dh

WELLS WOODS

Post by WELLS WOODS »

I cried over two old dogs I had to put down; Prime Time (poisioned) & Spring ( vertebra injury). They are buried in my backyard side by side with a white pine growing between them I planted there as a young sapling when they died in 2006. It is about 12 feet tall now. Man times flies by fast it seems.
Wells Woods Kennel
Greg Wells

R.I.P.
FC Brent's Prime Time
FC Wells' Silver Spring
FCGD Wells Woods Valentine

Strange Daze Axle
Talkabout Cleo

beaglestotrack

Post by beaglestotrack »

Mine die here being treated good then I put them in the ground and plant something over them to continue the circle of life

mybeagles

Post by mybeagles »

Beagles don't hunt for you. They hunt for themselves.

Newt,
If your dogs dont hunt for you thats a training issue or personal preference thing. I know many of the hare hunters prefer a hound to get deep and jump a rabbit but I dont hunt like that. I want mine to stay in a 50 yard area and hunt "for me" not off hunting for themselves. I dont think its just a matter of semantics. My dogs make eye contact with me and I can generally direct them into the cover I want to hunt. The key I found to getting that it solo time to program them to do what I want at a young age and then hunting in smaller packs or brace. When I hunt in a larger group my dogs will still hunt around me and not just wander off.

Andre,
I derive a great deal of enjoyment from raising a pup every year and training it. If I were to keep dogs to old age I would have to give that up. The only way a dog stays 3-4 years in my kennel is if I get some duds for pups a couple years in a row. I dont keep over 2 running dogs at a time because I never run more than that at once. I have made some very happy customers over the years selling them a fully broke dog at a reasonable price. IMO everyone wins in that scenario.
Rob’s Ranger Rabbit Hunter (Lefty)
Rose City Quad King’s
DogPatch Fly

S.R.Patch

Post by S.R.Patch »

I think the correct terminology is, the hounds hunt "with you", not for you. You cannot make a hound hunt.
When mike Yates first got his patches from Willet, he said they ranged wide, so he just bred and selected those who wanted to hunt closer and accepted more direction than those who were more open minded. He said it was easier to breed hounds down than it was to breed them back up.
When i was talking to a formal pack master that ran a large pack, one of his puppy picking requirements was that the puppies he kept wanted to be with him. If you loosed 50 hounds that were strong open minded, you would have hounds strung over three counties. Some puppies and hounds have a strong nature to bond with man and others prefer their own kind. If you handle a large number, they better be biddable.

deerhost

Post by deerhost »

Ok Dave practice what you preach give Alibi back to me. She is hitting that 2-3 years of age...... :D.....Dh

Smoke'n Mack

Post by Smoke'n Mack »

I was going to say, checking in and hunting close and according to the direction given by me, I consider to be "handling" as opposed to "hunting for me". As SR said, they hunt with me, not for me. I don't doubt that I could give my dogs to someone else and they'd hunt just the same as they do with me, therefore, are they really hunting for me? I don't think so, they do it because they want to, not because I ask.

randy hicks

Post by randy hicks »

I take my old dogs down here to the Chinese restaurant and sell them to the cook at the back door.

Newt

Post by Newt »

mybeagles wrote:

Newt,
If your dogs dont hunt for you thats a training issue or personal preference thing. .

No it isn"t! Hunting "with" you is a training issue. Hunting for you is a myth.

A dog that hunts is programed to hunt by its genetics.
As patch indicate, genetics can also influence their desire to hunt with you.
A shock collar can overrule the desire to hunt independently. Shock collars won't make them hunt for you.

bluemouse

Post by bluemouse »

Dog catches rabbit and brings it to you is he hunting for you or if dog catches rabbit and eats it is he hunting for self.

billpapas

Post by billpapas »

:check: :check:
Newt wrote:
mybeagles wrote:

Newt,
If your dogs dont hunt for you thats a training issue or personal preference thing. .

A shock collar can overrule the desire to hunt independently. Shock collars won't make them hunt for you.

likeemfast

Post by likeemfast »

:annoyed:
Newt wrote:
mybeagles wrote:

Newt,

So if my hound isn't hunting worth a darn one day and pisses me off and I work that hound over with a leather lead and when I cut that hound loose again and say now "FIND EM" and that hound starts hunting harder than ever and soon jumps a rabbit did that hound hunt for me? Or for itself?
Home of

HOF GRHBCH Dizzy D's Kickin Up Dust
HOF GRHBCH Dizzy D's Ugly Sister
HOF GRHBCH Dizzy D's Top Notch Lacy
(aka UKC HBCH Red Oak Top Notch Lacy)

Newt

Post by Newt »

likeemfast wrote::

So if my hound isn't hunting worth a darn one day and pisses me off and I work that hound over with a leather lead and when I cut that hound loose again and say now "FIND EM" and that hound starts hunting harder than ever and soon jumps a rabbit did that hound hunt for me? Or for itself?

There are a lot of "ifs" and "whens" in your question? I have no idea. How do you answer an "IF" and "When" question? Maybe?
If it doesn't hunt harder, do you whip it harder and try again? How many times, is the required dosage to achieve success?
The ones that won't hunt, when you use those methods, usually goes to the truck or sneaks off and hides. Yours may be different in your imaginary example.