Patch hounds

A general forum for the discussion of hunting with beagles, guns, clothing and other equipment and just talking dawgs! (Tall tales on hunting allowed, but remember, first liar doesn't stand a chance)

Moderators: Pike Ridge Beagles, Aaron Bartlett

beaglestotrack

Re: Patch hounds

Post by beaglestotrack »

So what your saying is they are faulty dogs. Running mute and sneeking out of the check area... makes sence

PREACHERS KENNEL

Post by PREACHERS KENNEL »

there are tight mouthed patch hounds ,, there are loosed mouthed patch hounds just like other breeds ..I have seen them all. inside of the patch dog realm. ....I used to have a nice patch female that's dead now .. that would slow down in water swamps and chirp kinda instead of really bark good keep the track going a whole pack of patch hounds with others couldn't even smeel at all till she worked it out the other side .......never seen a surface she couldn't smell a rabbit on..now she was not the normal of any particular beagle most could not do what she did ..
ACTS 2:38=repent,baptised in the name of jesus christ,receive the holy ghost!

Chris Hornick

Post by Chris Hornick »

Never said faulty or that they run mute. Mouth is subjective. I personally have never seen a mouthy one

undertheradar

Post by undertheradar »

Apparently yall's version of tight mouth is different than mine. If I tell you a dog is tight mouth, it means that dog has a little less nose than what a consistent, independent track runner needs. Even though everyone strives for a dog that can run the heels off a rabbit by himself, I run a PACK. SO it takes all kinds. I want to consistently stay in a cramping the rabbit state. So, this is offtopic I know, I felt like typing.

A tight mouth dog worth keeping will NOT bark on a cold track, will NOT bark behind a pack of dogs (opening while trying to catch up the pack) nor anywhere else but where he is supposed to be, which is on the firing line and running the Rabbit and not telling me where the rabbit was 5 minutes ago. My "tight" mouth dogs will help you crush a rabbit. Anything less than my version of a tight mouth hound is just a worthless hound.. IMO. There is a difference in being tight mouthed and not any good. I sure wouldn't take or sell a version of this to someone who lives in cold temps and snow, because this dog is kept for warmer temps and swampy environments. I'll keep, feed and run an extra 5 tight mouth hounds to compensate for one sorry loose mouth dog that barks off the track, opens and trails all over the place taking forever produce a rabbit.
I say patch dogs are too darn big, atleast the ones Ive seen are over 15 inches. I like 14" dogs.

Sorry to ramble

scrubkennels

Post by scrubkennels »

Out of all the bloodlines I've always wondered why the patch has so much controversy. All you have to say is i like or run patch bred dogs. Is it because the breeding has been around sense 1896. Is it because most owners don't spend their weekends at clubs measuring their dogs. Is it because they could care less who won the world hunt. If someone says they like any of the other thousand strains out there. Very little negitive. I have a lot of reasons why I like em here are a few. Pic em out of most packs they are usually in front. Uniqueness in their voice. Uniqueness in markings. But my favorite is you can kennel them for weeks, months or a year. Take em out and they are the same as when you put em up.

Walter B. Walls

Post by Walter B. Walls »

My favorite traits of Patch hounds
Conformation, Drive, Desire And Mouth

scrubkennels

Post by scrubkennels »

nice pics, i like the adds also, i had never seen the one on pine patch stupe.

lowell robertson

Post by lowell robertson »

Don't know who got the big dog fad started, probably someone who thought bigger was faster. I kinda wish the big hound lovers would just go to fox-hounds and not call them beagles. I can understand people who run in deep snow wanting larger hounds. Speed is a matter of a hound having a good enough nose to run scent cone and not foot scent. Slow hounds are the ones who have to put their nose to the ground and sniff out every inch of track barking every step. I know there have been several patch hounds to make small pack champion but only know one patch man that campaigns patch, he is Billy Johnson, in Tenn. If I enjoyed club members scratching each others backs and spending a lot of time and money attending hunts. I would go to hunts and try my luck. Locally we have a very good club with a lot of nice guys but I prefer to hear a pack run and enjoy setting in a prime spot and seeing mother nature up front. We are all suffering from a lack of grounds to train hounds and this is fast becoming the factor that is going to kill our sport. I usually am not bothered by beginners expounding their knowledge of hounds and blood lines but sometimes I wish they would just run what they like and let me run what I like without being emotional about it and pretending to be expects.

LR Patch

Post by LR Patch »

This has gotten so far from the original question it's almost become stupid . Get a pup from a well know Patch breeder and try one . I've got a litter due in a couple weeks , if she has a big litter I'll give U one so U can see for yourself. Guys talk bout full blood & pure blood and U can only get a true Patch from one guy , but U will find outcross"s in the 2nd generation .Well my dogs have no outcross's I can show pedigree's on all mine that I can go back to the late 1800's / early 1900"s , don't see how U can get more pure than that . Now I'm not Willet nor is anyone else , don't claim to be or breed as he did , don't think anyone has or can ,not even Mike or Chris , JMO . Every man will breed what he feels best of what he has or can find . Best to best and try to add or take away certain traits by knowing what / how their G-parents & GG-parents added or did not .
Run what U like , U feed them . Their are a lot of champs & Grand Champs past and present , but as said not a lot do the trail's . Their R some good as well as bad Patch breeders and hounds . No one will ever do it with Willets abilities .
Randy
Randy Vanosdale
LOUDON RIDGE PATCH
KL Vanosdale

http://www.loudonridgepache.com

Home of the tried and true Patch Hound! "Where honesty and
good hounds are a family tradition"

LR Patch

Post by LR Patch »

Very nice hounds Walter
Randy Vanosdale
LOUDON RIDGE PATCH
KL Vanosdale

reddog1

Post by reddog1 »

Nice post Randy :thumbsup:

LR Patch

Post by LR Patch »

Thanks Chuck ,
I really bout fell out of my seat from laughing on the one from Mr Baker . Like things that he aludes have never happened in anyother line. I hate it as much as anyone but he should get his facts right before he includes myself or you in that B/S. Their R still guys like us that take pride in ur hounds their breeding . I know you like me would not breed one that we had any concern of their linage.
Randy Vanosdale
LOUDON RIDGE PATCH
KL Vanosdale

reddog1

Post by reddog1 »

Richard Baker, aka littlewoody is still pissed off because I wouldn't let him put a dog in my pen 5 years ago so he tries to make me look bad every chance he gets.
Not that I care what he says or thinks but I have never sold a dog with false papers, hell I haven't sold a dog in 3 years.
I have realized that those who spend their time trying to make people look bad, are really hiding something themselves.
I have also heard that some dentist get children high on laughing gas and then take advantage of them. But thats just what I've heard.

Swampman

Post by Swampman »

I don't video much, but here are a couple older clips.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zyf_QBTtgus
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3PR7Tv1jy4s

Last day of season 2015

ARHA, 2015

AKC Midwest, 2015

AKC LPH, 2015

Hare Chaser

Post by Hare Chaser »

Nothing tight mouthed about those hounds in those videos and looked like they were carrying the mail as well!! Good foot and just about the right amount of mouth I'd say. Thanks for posting.