Patch hounds

A general forum for the discussion of hunting with beagles, guns, clothing and other equipment and just talking dawgs! (Tall tales on hunting allowed, but remember, first liar doesn't stand a chance)

Moderators: Pike Ridge Beagles, Aaron Bartlett

rabbit chaser

Re: Patch hounds

Post by rabbit chaser »

I'm no patch man by any means but if swampman ever needs a new home for ole bonnie I'd make the kennel space. that bitch has given me a whoopin in every trial I have ran against her in this year. She's just a nice line running female that seems to always be in the mix. IF they are all like her I see why so many like them.
Last edited by rabbit chaser on Tue Jun 16, 2015 11:42 am, edited 1 time in total.
Thumper Jumpin Kennels-home of:
Thumper Jumpin Luck-E-Colt
Thumper Jumpin Lil Terror on Paws
Behne's oopsie daisy
Behne's lady

Tsa la gi

Post by Tsa la gi »

If your Patch Hounds trace back to any of these hounds past, which was the start of Willets Patch Hounds or their past you will find out crosses in your Patch Hounds.

[URL=http://s444.photobucket.com/user/cherok ... f.jpg.html]ImageImage[/URL]

Rod

Post by Rod »

Awesome pictures and articles Walter. Rowdy, facts have a way of shutting down a whole lot of speculation....!!!!!

Tsa la gi

Post by Tsa la gi »

I do not consider myself in any way an authoritative person on Patch blood, I have researched it a lot through World Pedigrees. Also Carl Posts web had a lot of information on it. A lot of my info came from the same Stud books he bought off Hammerenpatch, a good friend of mine and where I got my start in one of the greatest lines out there. There are much more knowledgeable people out there than me. In Shantillie Lace Patched 7th gen there is a out cross made by George blanchard whom I sold Pups to. The f/ms name was Uptown Sally 111, he says was the beat bitch he ever saw. She goes back to

Figure this one out, It is all Show stuff.

S.R.Patch

Post by S.R.Patch »

I've got 4 generation behind Uptown sally and all it shows is Tyro, Yates and Anderson patch behind her, ...I see no redman unless he's farther back.
All the "Snow or "Snow Pache" you see back in the pedigree is from Yates, Snow Fiddler was one of his many hounds.

I think you've got some incorrect info from someone?

Tsa la gi

Post by Tsa la gi »

This comes through Ladds White Moses, or Shipleys Sally Gal Patch

LR Patch

Post by LR Patch »

========== LADDS CRAZY HORSE
== LADDS WHITE MOSES
========== LADDS SNOW WHITE

========= ROBBIES DUTCHES PATCH
== SHIPLEYS SALLY GAL PATCH
========= BOOTHILL PATCH MISS

SR think it's TYRO-SADIE , she was crossed to Snow Fiddler to get Ladds White Lightening Patch
Randy Vanosdale
LOUDON RIDGE PATCH
KL Vanosdale

http://www.loudonridgepache.com

Home of the tried and true Patch Hound! "Where honesty and
good hounds are a family tradition"

Newman

Post by Newman »

Where did the lemon and white come from that everybody has come to think are patch colors. In all those pedigrees shown there isn't much lemon and white there mostly black white and tan and red and white . So where did the lemon come from?

Tsa la gi

Post by Tsa la gi »

SR, the pedigree I posted was a research ped, I bought from AKC online 2/10/2011. I bought a 5 gen ped on Ladd`s Crazy Horse and Ladd`s Snow White. Snow Redman in this ped same akc reg number is out of Yellow Creek Smokey and Yellow Creek Pearl. I talked to 4 reps and got transferred to someone in archives. They couldn`t understand what happened but are going to try and figure it out. They have a copy of both documents. All I know for sure is THEY LOVED taking my money. Lots of good Old Patch breeding back there.
Chuck

LR Patch

Post by LR Patch »

Are hounds that Willet used to start his line truly an out cross ? Or the roots of the Patch hound ? I mean U don't find two pups under a log and say here's my new line I'll call them Patch's
Randy Vanosdale
LOUDON RIDGE PATCH
KL Vanosdale

haderondah

Post by haderondah »

Have you read a patchwork wilderness? It is a compilation of writings by willet that explains how the line was started. It is a must read for all beaglers. i read the book twice before I stupidly loaned it out and never got it back. It explains how he bought his first registered dogs from england back in the late 1800's and goes right up till the 1960's.
Home of
Hazzards bawling bindy
Brankos stormy hill
Haderondah puppy tuppy
Haderondah mad jilly
Haderondah mystic blue

LR Patch

Post by LR Patch »

I don't think u will find anyone that is truly a Patch guy that hasn't read it and read it
over and over. Would say I've read mine , well a bunch !
Randy Vanosdale
LOUDON RIDGE PATCH
KL Vanosdale

Tsa la gi

Post by Tsa la gi »

LR, that is a good question, I think it could be both. Your opinion?

S.R.Patch

Post by S.R.Patch »

Newman wrote:Where did the lemon and white come from that everybody has come to think are patch colors. In all those pedigrees shown there isn't much lemon and white there mostly black white and tan and red and white . So where did the lemon come from?
Randall was breeding his with the blue caps as they derived from the same English source and blended well to reproduce the qualities he was after. The hound in my avtar is North bucks Postman, a imported English hound that happens to be tan/white. Randall would try to give people the color they wanted, but never at the cost of quality in the offspring. He wrote about breeding Macawack Fencer to try and add the saddle black blanket tri to the coloring of his patches but it was a failed cross, as he went on to say blankets are used to cover up quitters at the end of the race and he wouldn't allow it to cover up the hunting qualities he bred for in a hound.
Towards the end of his career breeding the patches, Randall spoke of one of his prayers being answered. A pup was born that he christened Swift Eagle Patch, a snow white pup. Randall said as he grew, he became so ticked with lemon specks that he looked like a turkey egg. He used Swift Eagle at stud on his bitches firstly because of the breeding behind him, and lastly as the demand for the light colored hound had became so great. The lemon/white is a recessive coloring and is covered by most all colors, so it's easy to select for if the quality of the pup/hound matches your standard. As I see it, the only reason the lemon/white has carried on over the last 45 yrs since Randal is because those that got them also liked a hound they could easily see in the field. Coloring is nothing more the the tint of the hide, you can like it or change it.
Mike Yate4s bred and selected for mostly red in his hounds as it helped squelched the prejudice against the white hounds in the south. He said he was only interested in his hounds getting a fair look from the judges without color being a preconceived notion to quality and ability. (his words)

Swampman

Post by Swampman »

Newman,
I responded to your PM.