Rabbit trapping question

A general forum for the discussion of hunting with beagles, guns, clothing and other equipment and just talking dawgs! (Tall tales on hunting allowed, but remember, first liar doesn't stand a chance)

Moderators: Pike Ridge Beagles, Aaron Bartlett

span870

Re: Rabbit trapping question

Post by span870 »

Don't set it in the trail. Beside it or parallel to it. Apple flavored horse treats work great. Scent stays alot longer than apples. Once you get a rabbit in there the urine and drippings will draw them without bait but I still throw some in, figure it can't hurt. I throw a bit of grass over the top of the trap to help blend in. Needed? Probably not. I've done pretty well feeding the hawks, owls, and cats that visit my running pen over the years. Alot of guys catch more than me but I do well. Best day was 13 in 15 traps. Just what worked for me.

LR Patch

Post by LR Patch »

My bad , guess I've finally made my 1st mistake , NOT . Really , dude sorry for my confussion .
rv
Randy Vanosdale
LOUDON RIDGE PATCH
KL Vanosdale

http://www.loudonridgepache.com

Home of the tried and true Patch Hound! "Where honesty and
good hounds are a family tradition"

S.R.Patch

Post by S.R.Patch »

Randy, you gotta keep up with the crowd, what was good enough advice a yr ago is now out-dated...lol

I got tickled watching Duck Dynasty the other night, one of the boys said, "these yuppies come a hunting and all they want to do is talk and play with their gadgets", we come to hunt and kill!
Boy ain't that the way it is...lol... what was horse sense has been taken over by the high tek apps...lol
I think putting fox pee on your rabbit trap would be like finding fresh bear crap in your tent, I'd be moving locations...lol

rabbitearl

Post by rabbitearl »

I ve been trapping rabbits now for 45 years and always used this and that for bait. just last year I made more box trap in jan.I put the boxes up for this year. I got the boxes out and never put nothing in them and have catch just as many rabbits in them than any of the other old boxes.Over the years I have used Rabbit scent.But as I see it now.Used Nothing. One thing you have to do is.WORK THE BOXES. I don t know about the rabbits at your place but here in NC.Rabbits don t go in a box to eat. If you re not catching rabbits.Try something different.It took me 7 years to catch one. Talk to a man the other day and he said.I catch nothing. Try ever bait there is but nothing. I ask.How long have you had the boxes there.5 weeks. That it.If I don t catch nothing in 3 to 5 nights.I pick up the box and move. There might be a rabbit around there but its not going in. You have to learnd to move on. You need to leave some seeds anyway. Good luck

Aubrey Holcombe

Post by Aubrey Holcombe »

45 years if a fine start to catching rabbit,, but I been at it for 65+ yes sir was about 8 or 10 when I had my brother to help me make my first Rabbit Box. I am a 1939 year model, and even the rabbit boxies have been Re-designed in the last few years.. With the Coyote coming all over the South,,I had to go to a new design to keep the yots from turning my box over and pulling the lead out and getting my rabbits!!

I wish I had someone to post a photo of what I am using now days, as this new design is on some of the other Web Sights, it simple to make just use a hinge on the 2x6" as the door, need the 2x6 for the extra weight that will make it fall harder and catch the Spring Steel latch at the floor of the box.

I don't think what age we are, where you 15 or 50, makes No difference, who set the box, it all about the timing of the year, where you are located.. I catch more rabbits when the weather starts to turn cold, each fall, They Go Inside for Shelter ! I caught 109 last year this year, I had some problems with Mr. Green Pants,, seems that someone has been reporting me for setting my traps before The rabbit Season opens ? He brought two of my boxes home, and ask me to take the others up, until opening day of rabbit season which is late in November,, it was Oct. and I was catching rabbit like crazy ! Now the year that I caught so many I have caught all I want, so took them up buy the time I was to be putting them out,, they were much hard to catch , in fact I didn't do to well at all this year had only 43 but that was all I need for my starting pens. The last two that I caught was also Two Big Swampers,, they are seldom caught in boxies,, but it was lots of rainning days and ground was saturated I suppose they had moved to higher ground as the swamps was flooding??

Good Luck, I had rather catch a Wild Rabbit, and Shoot one any day!!

D.R.~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~>>
ARHA Hall Of Fame, own "The Daddy Rabbit Kennels", Royston, Georgia

Alabama John

Post by Alabama John »

Aubrey,
Set a leg hold trap or several around your rabbit traps with the pressure set too strong for a rabbits weight and catch the Coyotes.
Be doing yourself a favor in two directions!!!

Aubrey Holcombe

Post by Aubrey Holcombe »

Yep,, there You Go Again,, Mr. John Thinking ahead of me ?

Mr. Green Pants brought one of my Steel Traps, here to my house a few yeas ago, Said the Lady across the Swamp was getting feed up with me and my Trapping, as I had caught here pet dog !! For awhile it looked like I was going to get a ticked for trapping on other folks Property,, but her dog was also Trespassing and My trap was less that 50 feet from my own property.

Reason I was trying to catch Coyotes they came over my 6 foot Kennels and killed three of my red females,, I was out to try and eliminate these things. Game warden said if he wrote me a ticket he was going to have to give her one also as her dog was not on her property either..

I took my traps up and have never set another steel, but I had a fellow come in here that called them up with an electronic Called he got several,, and they have moved D.R. on,, not any more on my property, once they get shot at and a few taken out,, they move on..

D.R.~~~~~~~~~~~~>>
ARHA Hall Of Fame, own "The Daddy Rabbit Kennels", Royston, Georgia

Alabama John

Post by Alabama John »

Aubrey, You know 39 models think alike!!!

rabbitearl

Post by rabbitearl »

Mr. Aubrey, I am the same way.Love to catch one any day than shoot one. My daddy made me 2 boxes when I was 11. I have a lot more trouble with yard dogs and bobcats than any than getting my rabbits out of the boxes. I used to think it was coyotes until I seen what it was. If your boxes is turn over and the door is open and rabbit fur is everwhere its a bobcat, but if your rabbit box is pull out 10 yards and teeth mark all over the box and then pull another 10 to 20 yards and the box is mess up. most of the time what I ve seen.Somebody yard dog. Ones they learn it you just as well move to another place. I believe I will stay with the boxes I build a long time ago.. My boxes are 3 to 3 1/2 inch wide. Rabbits love that narrow box.when I was 18 I made one like that on a mistake but went anyway and set the box out and 4 nights each night I catch a rabbit. Its been like that now I am 56. I try to keep around 35 boxes set out. I do better with that than 75 boxes set out. Unlees I know were some rabbits are. Its just like I said about a rabbit dog running a rabbit.They look good were there lots of rabbits.Same as the boxes. Cannot say how many rabbits I ve catch over the years. But 75 is all you can catch here in NC. If I had the rabbits I can do that in two nights with 35 boxes. Some will add that up and say how. If I can work the boxes I can catch two to three rabbits in some of boxes a night. But and A big but.I got to have rabbits. Another thing were I like my boxes is.I though it took me around 8 min to make one. Had some young men came last year when I was making some.They got there phone out and time me making one. started from cutting the boards until it was ready to set out. 4 min and 35 sec the box was ready. In 1928 in siler city NC. 28 thousand rabbits were catch around there and sold for 8 cents each. That was the last year rabbits were sold dew to people getting sick and some die up north too. Rabbits now have gone as high as 40 dollars each. I just don t sell any. Good luck everybody.Have fun

Chip E

Post by Chip E »

Your both right Rabbitearl and daddy rabbit