Gearing Down Or Cold Trailing ?

A general forum for the discussion of hunting with beagles, guns, clothing and other equipment and just talking dawgs! (Tall tales on hunting allowed, but remember, first liar doesn't stand a chance)

Moderators: Pike Ridge Beagles, Aaron Bartlett

outrider66

Re: Gearing Down Or Cold Trailing ?

Post by outrider66 »

I hear more people complaining about lack of hunt then I do lack of nose or brains in Trial bred dogs ! seems like more & more people are looking for a dog that will go
in the bushes to jump a rabbit !

likeemfast

Post by likeemfast »

Agreed, problem is Field Trialing for the most part does not promote hunt in a hound. Blue ribbons are not given out to a dog that hunts hard.
Home of

HOF GRHBCH Dizzy D's Kickin Up Dust
HOF GRHBCH Dizzy D's Ugly Sister
HOF GRHBCH Dizzy D's Top Notch Lacy
(aka UKC HBCH Red Oak Top Notch Lacy)

gwyoung

Post by gwyoung »

?
Last edited by gwyoung on Thu Feb 18, 2016 6:24 am, edited 3 times in total.

WELLS WOODS

Post by WELLS WOODS »

outrider & likemfast, I agree. You see a lot of dogs that need more hunt, but I've seen weak & strong hunters in about every bloodline. I haven't seen many FC's with weak hunt though.

gwyoung, I'm not going on about this. Read my other posts to get my 2 cents.
Last edited by WELLS WOODS on Tue Feb 16, 2016 8:05 am, edited 1 time in total.
Wells Woods Kennel
Greg Wells

R.I.P.
FC Brent's Prime Time
FC Wells' Silver Spring
FCGD Wells Woods Valentine

Strange Daze Axle
Talkabout Cleo

gwyoung

Post by gwyoung »

Last edited by gwyoung on Thu Feb 18, 2016 6:24 am, edited 1 time in total.

mybeagles

Post by mybeagles »

Greg,

Ive judged some of your dogs. Valentine placed under me in Arkansas a few years ago. My judging number is 23070 if you care to validate. I don't judge 7-8 trials a year but I got my license in 2002 and have judges 26 licensed trials (most in the midwest). I used to marshall and have filled into judge several times for no shows before that. I don't say that to validate what Im saying but since you brought it up I thought I would too. Yes, you are correct being over seas limits how many I can do but I get plenty of calls. Spent 9 of last 18 years overseas and I mix in some trials when Im available. Im curious why you don't judge anymore....I don't think your any older than I am.

Not much cold trailing in the midwest...no tolerance for it. Im just stating there are some very good dogs that cold trail which is a necessity in the northern climates if you plan to run during the winter. Everyone has their limits....I allow it because I run when I have days off even if its nasty out. Maybe when I retire I won't be see tolerant.

Mybeagles
Last edited by mybeagles on Tue Feb 16, 2016 8:23 am, edited 3 times in total.
Rob’s Ranger Rabbit Hunter (Lefty)
Rose City Quad King’s
DogPatch Fly

gwyoung

Post by gwyoung »

Last edited by gwyoung on Thu Feb 18, 2016 6:25 am, edited 1 time in total.

gwyoung

Post by gwyoung »

!
Last edited by gwyoung on Thu Feb 18, 2016 6:25 am, edited 1 time in total.

WELLS WOODS

Post by WELLS WOODS »

Yes mybeagles, I know you are a judge & have judged some trials. I'd say you would be honest & do a good job. There's no better teacher than the actual experience of watching the houndwork of some of the best hounds out there year after year.
Wells Woods Kennel
Greg Wells

R.I.P.
FC Brent's Prime Time
FC Wells' Silver Spring
FCGD Wells Woods Valentine

Strange Daze Axle
Talkabout Cleo

likeemfast

Post by likeemfast »

gwyoung wrote:Likeem, correct me if I am wrong I am not a field trialer. But it is my understanding that a rabbit doesn't have to be within five miles of an AKC field trial for a hound to be pronounced the winner and receive that big blue ribbon. This could be the win that made the hound a field champion to boot! Also if a rabbit doesnt have to be ran to hand out that big blue isn't it possible that a hound could be pronounced a field champion without ever having ran a rabbit.
I would say you are correct, keep in mind i do not field trial either so maybe were both wrong.

Dave (mybeagles) has a nice male with a bigger nose than my hounds, he showed the way at times and picked up some nice checks when we ran together over a week ago. Learned a lot that day talking with Dave. I am always willing to learn something new. Some are not, and some just think age/experience makes them wiser. If im proven wrong that means i learned something.

I still believe if I say a hound dont open till the rabbit is up, that it is a true statement and has nothing to do with their nose power. It has nothing to do with a big nose vs a babbler, just means hound will not open until the rabbit is moving, aka jump. Wrong? Maybe, ....... just means im not convinced yet. JMO
Home of

HOF GRHBCH Dizzy D's Kickin Up Dust
HOF GRHBCH Dizzy D's Ugly Sister
HOF GRHBCH Dizzy D's Top Notch Lacy
(aka UKC HBCH Red Oak Top Notch Lacy)

mybeagles

Post by mybeagles »

In AKC you MUST place 4 hounds plus NBQ. In CKC you do not have to place hounds. This is a rule I wish AKC would change. I observed a trial in snow and Ice where a rabbit was not circled and of course they had to fill the bench.
Rob’s Ranger Rabbit Hunter (Lefty)
Rose City Quad King’s
DogPatch Fly

gwyoung

Post by gwyoung »

Last edited by gwyoung on Thu Feb 18, 2016 6:26 am, edited 1 time in total.

gwyoung

Post by gwyoung »

?

outrider66

Post by outrider66 »

Its called Inherent traits ! it makes a dog not open on cold scent! just like the ability to gear down or cold trail when needed is also an inherent trait! As is hunt,nose,mouth ect ect ect.

gwyoung

Post by gwyoung »

!