Had one chew off a collar :(

A general forum for the discussion of hunting with beagles, guns, clothing and other equipment and just talking dawgs! (Tall tales on hunting allowed, but remember, first liar doesn't stand a chance)

Moderators: Pike Ridge Beagles, Aaron Bartlett

JUDE

Had one chew off a collar :(

Post by JUDE »

I usually don't kennel them together but have been during the winter.A young pup chewed the collar off my older pup ,I dont want to kennel them without collars.Can someone tell me what would be best to make the chain collars and attach tags? Or where I could buy them? Would prefer to make my own.Here's the culprit looking all innocent.
Attachments
image.jpg
image.jpg (192.16 KiB) Viewed 3351 times
Jude's Beagles

Always in search of a more perfect hound!

Strivingfortheperfectrabbitdawg

mybeagles

Re: Had one chew off a collar :(

Post by mybeagles »

Ive purchased the "lifetime" collars that are advertised in the mags. They are the highest quality I have found anywhere. I kennel separately so use leather.
Rob’s Ranger Rabbit Hunter (Lefty)
Rose City Quad King’s
DogPatch Fly

JUDE

Post by JUDE »

Thank you ,Do they have them online as well?
Jude's Beagles

ray s

Post by ray s »

Little Hawk

Post by Little Hawk »

Ordered some from Okie Dog Supply had them on some young dogs for a year or so no problems so far.

Hare Chaser

Post by Hare Chaser »

I've used slip check collars for years on young dogs when kenneled together. They've worked great for me.

S.R.Patch

Post by S.R.Patch »

When you leave them tag ends of the collar hanging out it's a great temptation for young hounds to chew. They pull on them, next thing you know they've unbuckled the collar and are off chewing it into 5 pieces for you to pick up. Shorten an tape the end.
I've used light large link chain from Central Tractor to make collars for pups. If ya don't mind them getting a grey ring around their neck. I just use side-cuters to cut to length and then use the name tag to fasten the two loose ends back together, I make it big enough I can slide it over their head incase they're out an get hung on a snag.

JUDE

Post by JUDE »

Mr.Patch , I shortened that collar before kenneling them together.I too knew that would be too tempting for any pup lol.I figured someone would notice that in the picture.I cut them round so not to scratch a eye and melt them back with a lighter.I had some of that chain from TSC and made me one today.However s-hooks connect the tag and I used a link connector that screws together and tightened it
so that it won't slip over the head,and can not be removed by hand in case he happened upon a stranger in the field.I may regret him not being able to slip it but never turn him loose without being able to know where he's located.

Thank you ALL for your replies and the website.It was better for me to make them than to buy at this time.Mine is not as nice as the ones on the website but will have to do for now.
Jude's Beagles

snowshoehareguide

Post by snowshoehareguide »

ive had them chew a tracking collar to pieces on a short ride in the dog box--- a year old "pup" :hammer:
http://harehunter.tripod.com/ snowshoe hare guide service

JUDE

Post by JUDE »

snowshoehareguide wrote:ive had them chew a tracking collar to pieces on a short ride in the dog box--- a year old "pup" :hammer:
I won't put the collars on pups until they are getting out and I do that each time.Its a headache but better than a $300 mistake.
Jude's Beagles