struggling

A general forum for the discussion of hunting with beagles, guns, clothing and other equipment and just talking dawgs! (Tall tales on hunting allowed, but remember, first liar doesn't stand a chance)

Moderators: Pike Ridge Beagles, Aaron Bartlett

Shady Grove Beagles

struggling

Post by Shady Grove Beagles »

Don't know about you folks but my dogs have been struggling to have a decent run lately.I think I've got some good hounds but that's just a reality.
I've run twice this week and it sure wasn't pretty. The dogs have hunted hard and I'd give them an "A" for effort but results leave something to be desired.
I don't know the #'s but I'd say we may be very close to having had close to 100 days of 90+ temps. this summer here in Tennessee.
The local meteorologist said on the news last night that those of us south of Knoxville down to the north Georgia mountains are in a severe drought.My lawn crunches like potato chips when I walk across it and the red dirt puffs in dust clouds as the dogs search for the rabbits' scent.We haven't had rain here in several weeks.
Watching the PBS News Hour last night they said that this year will go down as the hottest on record since they started keeping records.I know it's made it very tough on the beagles to do their job.
This morning as the dogs struggled to keep a run going my Tess female caught a little rabbit no bigger than my fist and brought it to me.I was surprised that on Sept.8 the rabbits are still having litters here.
Baby rabbits and hot and dry ................come on Fall!!!!!!!!!!!
Home of a true hunting beagle that run to catch

S.R.Patch

Re: struggling

Post by S.R.Patch »

They used to kill the half grown here when we had the Oct. season on the state grounds, that why I always liked the idea of extending into Feb, and closing the early Oct. month,...
tho I think Feb. is only on private grounds(not positive).
My bitches had a run in the dry creek yesterday. My wife did the feed and water and missed putting the snap back on the latchgate, When I got home at midnight, there was bedlam back of the kennels and every remaining hound still in place was had by the ear, quite a ruckus to sleep through but somehow she remained in her slumber, as I caught the hounds up and returned them to their kennel to restore quiet.
Funny thing, no matter how long it's been since you missed a snap, those hounds never forget how to open the latch...lol
We had a few days of early like fall but now heat full on. Chance of rain till Sat. but none yet.
The corn is drying fast, won't be long till roar of the combine and the dust clouds rise.

Hare Chaser

Post by Hare Chaser »

All I can say Dana is when you leave the state of TN in 4 weeks slam the darn door and bolt it tight :!: We don't need that heat in the North country! Looking forward to seeing you!

BCBeagles

Post by BCBeagles »

Much the same for us.....not much internet running.....hit and miss....

we just keep it real when describing it.....mother nature has her ways with us when she wants.....

Still seeing popcan rabbits as well......they run great!!! :roll:

Pine Lakes

Post by Pine Lakes »

Been running hard here in NW Ohio, but the heat and humidity(mostly humidity) make it difficult to get a full day in. I just about stroked one of my females out Wednesday. The running has actually been good for the most part, but there is the occasional little rabbit that makes 50-60 yd circle with a lot of breakdowns. Looking forward to the first frost to put these mosquitoes to rest and thin the foliage. It can't get here soon enough!

Shady Grove Beagles

Hey B.C.
That's something I've always appreciated about your posts--- you keep it real and don't go about blowing a lot of smoke.
Some days you get to drink the wine and other days you've got to crush the grapes.....
Just got in from trying to run the dogs for a couple of hours.Took my 8 month old Bomber male and 4 year old Tess.They hunted out good, covering the ground and certainly can't fault them for effort.Jumped three rabbits and struggled to turn them in to any kind of a decent run.
Have talked with two of my hunting buddies up north and they both related some similar scenarios trying to run a hare recently.Both of them belong to beagle clubs that own several hundred acres of fenced and well stocked grounds and they both related stories of hunting for several hours in the club grounds and struggling to get a hare up.
This always seems to be a tough time of the year for running.Guess I need one of those hounds I read about on the old inter-net " can run when it's 90 degrees and can take a track right down the middle of a dusty road"......
Pine Lakes,be careful as you just might stroke your female out and wouldn't that be a shame?

BCBeagles

Post by BCBeagles »

Thank you SGB....I ran this morning as well. Very short stints of good movement....a lot of struggling.

Ran a couple dogs with pretty good noses that hunt for rabbits....they found a few....but the rabbits pretty much had there way....lol.

They "moved" them around, but it was far from steady.....

Hope everyone gets some nice weather and good running soon!!!!

randy hicks

Post by randy hicks »

Here in Ohio my running is just not good- late nite early morning- of course no need to run in the heat no sense in stroking out a hound- so I just enjoy the time with my mutts in the back yard playing with them and stuff. so ready for cooler weather.

Shady Grove Beagles

What a difference a little rain and morning temps. in the 60's makes !
They didn't struggle today.Took all 5 dogs and from 8 year old Rainy to 8 month old Bomber they pounded for several hours.Sounded good !
I've got friends in the north country that hunt in some extreme conditions of cold,snow and ice and there are times when it's a struggle for their hounds.
A whole different set of circumstances but I know that when you are consistently hitting the 90's and no rain it's pretty tough too.

Hare Chaser

Post by Hare Chaser »

42° here this morning and all I could do was head off to work!

Pine Lakes

Post by Pine Lakes »

Mid 50's and good running this morning. Things are looking up and I plan on hitting it hard until I work days next weekend, but I'll still manage to get out 1 weekend night after work. Tis the season finally. As most of you already know, they don't get better playing with them in the back yard!

LR Patch

Post by LR Patch »

Dana same here , we are what 40 miles apart maybe ? So many days above 90 & humid , no rain , no garden no 2nd cut'n of hay . FArmers and cattle men will suffer greatly . I've just stopped even try to get the dogs out until weather change's.
I feel ur pain . But I think we should have a lot of rabbits to run when it does cool off , maybe the only plus I see ?
My pal in Russel Springs, KY said he was getting plenty of rain but same high temps there as well. He's have decent run'n early mornings or late evenings so guess we R just unlucky this year !
Randy Vanosdale
LOUDON RIDGE PATCH
KL Vanosdale

http://www.loudonridgepache.com

Home of the tried and true Patch Hound! "Where honesty and
good hounds are a family tradition"

Newt

Post by Newt »

LR, fifty miles North east of Knoxville and we only got a sprinkle. I heard it raining about 10:00 PM and hoped for better running. The dry ground just sucked it up and it was still dry dirt under the trees.

I went out last Friday morning and ran. I was there about 7:30 AM. They jumped three. They ran the first one about thirty minutes. The second one about fifty minutes, and the third one they circled but it was about 10:30 and getting hot so I toned at a check and came home. Most of the running was in a huge bean field. I suppose the thick vegetation held the scent and gave the rabbit security so it didn't get too far ahead of the hounds so they could find it when it squatted.

Earlier in the summer, about a month ago, I saw a lot of rabbits and they were easy to jump. One day I had three races going at one time. Lately, I suppose because of the heat and dry conditions, they have trouble finding a cottontail. When they jump, its usually buried deep in briars and honey suckle, or out in the middle of the bean field.
As was mentioned, its not much fun but it beats staying home.
Prediction: Chance of showers this evening and cooling down this weekend.

randy hicks

Post by randy hicks »

hey pine lakes- i dont think im part of them that knows playing with a hound in yard work will make them better- i always found well breed hounds can do it when ask of them-it called breeding. actually handling in the yard helps with that in the field. not shocking them in required.

Pine Lakes

Post by Pine Lakes »

And I'm not part of them that is going to run a dog until it strokes out. Gotta be able to take it if you're gonna give it.

"Breeding" is in the eye of the beholder. Everyone on this sight has well bred hounds in their opinion so don't quite get what you're insinuating with that. Maybe you can clarify that statement for all of us. All I know is that what one man likes might not be suited for another. We'd all be running the same dogs if this weren't the case.

You do make a good point that spending time with them in the kennel or in the yard helps with handling.