Run to catch

A general forum for the discussion of hunting with beagles, guns, clothing and other equipment and just talking dawgs! (Tall tales on hunting allowed, but remember, first liar doesn't stand a chance)

Moderators: Pike Ridge Beagles, Aaron Bartlett

Shady Grove Beagles

Re: Run to catch

Post by Shady Grove Beagles »

Took a ride to western Kentucky last week to my good friend Josh Stofer's.
Purpose being to get my Shady Grove's Josie Blue bred to his Bone Box's Blue Spook.From the pic. I'm hoping it was a successful trip.
This is a cross I've been considering for a while.I've run / gun hunted with Spook half a dozen times over the past couple of years and have always been impressed with the work he does.Not only is he an outstanding hound when you're carrying the shotgun but he's had a very consistent past year on the Mid-West and Mid-South trialing circuit competing in both Large Pack and S.P.O. formats with multiple places.
I'm not a trialer so Josie has not been tested in competition but takes a back seat to no one I've ever run her with.
For me the two most important aspects of any cross is that Spook and Josie run with a very similar style -- a run to catch mind set, quick and close on the line,work a check right,good nose and proper use of their mouths.Both hounds totally capable of jumping their own game and doing it solo or in a pack.
And being a firm believer in line breeding these two originate from the same family tree of hounds--- F.C. Pinnacle Hill Sport,N.L.P.C.F.C. Maravic's Blue Barry x2,Staten's Blue Samurai,I.F.C. Greenwell's Reggie x2,N.L.P.C.I.F.C. Beaver Creek's Blue Max,F.C. Turbo Powered By Prop x3. These hounds are all descendants of I.F.C.Maravic's Blue Ninja and F.C. Branko's Heli-Prop. Both of them out of F.C. Branko's Jack of all Trades.
A guarantee for success? No, but I've been keeping and breeding this family of hounds since I got a pup from Vic Costanza out of Ninja 25 years ago and they please me.
Hope springs eternal !!!
Attachments
DSC02717 (600 x 450).jpg
DSC02717 (600 x 450).jpg (88 KiB) Viewed 89385 times
Last edited by Shady Grove Beagles on Wed Jan 16, 2019 4:32 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Home of a true hunting beagle that run to catch

Rabbithoundjb

Post by Rabbithoundjb »

I know I love my Dan dog you raised and I hope I can get 1 of these. I would love to have a young female to cross on Dan with similar traits and breeding. My fingers are crossed

Hare Chaser

Post by Hare Chaser »

Hope they make some good ones for you Dana!

Shady Grove Beagles

My son Zack and I got back yesterday from spending 5 days down in the Mississippi Delta hunting swamp rabbits with my four beagles.
You might think that the 1,000 mile round trip to run / hunt some rabbits is a bit much but it was a great time hanging out with Zack and the swampers are almost the equal of a hare as to the challenge they present for the beagles.
We arrived in the Delta to find that five of the W.M.A.'s totalling over 100,000 acres that we planned to hunt on were closed to all activity EXCEPT duck hunting due to high water / flooding.
I spoke to a warden and to a game manager and asked why they closed everything and they said it would be unethical to let hunters hunt when the water is high like it was because it pushes all the game out of the bottoms and concentrates them in small areas and they said "you would slaughter the game". Sounded like it would have been good hunting if you ask me............. LOL. I wonder how they would explain their flooding impoundments to bring the ducks in so you can kill them..........?
Anyways it was a moot point and we needed to find a place to hunt. Met a local fellow and got to talking and told him our problem.Long story short he said "follow me" and took us to a spot that he assured us had "cane cutters" and that we could hunt with his permission. Thank you Donny,you saved the day ! Did I forget to say it was close to 1,000 acres?
One day was a washout with cold,40 mile per hour winds and pelting rain.Sat that one out in the cabin listening to tunes and playing Phase 10.The other days started cold in the 20's and warmed up in the low 50's but were great for hunting and running.
Where we hunted had a lot of standing water and several huge drainage ditches/canals full of water that both the beagles and us had to contend with.
Guys talk a lot about beagles and a "snow nose". I'd have to say that running swampers in their environment is equally as challenging as these rabbits will take the water without hesitation.Our beagles had to swim ditch #9 several times during the races and I missed the pic of a lifetime seeing all four of them swimming a slough in pursuit of a big running swamper.
We were able to take some of the big rabbits each day and even had a good meal of them back at the cabin.As usual my son proved to be a better shot than me [but,who's keeping score? ] And I can report that the beagles were able to run down and catch a swamper after an 1 1/2 hour run.They were putting it on him pretty hot and heavy and I was waiting for zack's shot when everything just shut off.Next thing is Zack's shouting" Pop they caught him". By the time he got to them they'd had their appetizer.
Attachments
DSC02727 (600 x 450).jpg
DSC02727 (600 x 450).jpg (85.57 KiB) Viewed 89146 times

Shady Grove Beagles

Here's Zack with a couple of long runners that to my way of thinking ran very similar to the northern hare.Had several that took the dogs about out of hearing.
Almost no briars in the Delta which after hunting Tennessee where EVERYTHING seems to have thorns was a nice relief except they have a thick waste high plant that Donny told us was called "Buck Vine".Grows all over the bottom we were in and can flat wear you and the beagles out.
Attachments
DSC02736 (600 x 450).jpg
DSC02736 (600 x 450).jpg (112.85 KiB) Viewed 89141 times

Aubrey Holcombe

Post by Aubrey Holcombe »

Hay Bossman:

About Time you show us Red Necks, a photo with them wabbit dawgs in there! Mighty good looking Hounds, you have there, last one I seen a pair was all tied up with their eyes closed. Good luck with that litter of ticks.

Say, I KNOW YOU ALREADY KNOW THIS, but you was talking about these Big Cane Cutters, running almost as good as the northern Hair ! Theses old Swampers, are in fact Hairs. They come here, born with their eyes Open and hair on them. The cotton tails eyes are Close and they a necked ! You know what my Friend Jerry Clower, the comedian from Yazoo, Miss. said about being necked, he said if your socks was ON, then you was not necked!

MAN, I have ran my share of them Swampes over the years, but when you get my age have to stick to dry land now days, just can't walk too well any more, have to hunt out of my Kubota 4x4 RTV these days, have solid rubber tires on that thing and all this weight will sink up in the swamps, as I did last season took a good Tractor and long cables to get it out the swamp ?

Glad to see the photos, and the young man , your son seems to be having a ball.

Keep Looking up!

D.R.~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~>>Dixie Land
ARHA Hall Of Fame, own "The Daddy Rabbit Kennels", Royston, Georgia

Rabbit/Hareman123

Post by Rabbit/Hareman123 »

Nice shady, hey what's zack doing with a ouch of gray in his beard,hes not that old, and your way to young,lol

Shady Grove Beagles

The Z-Man is now 30 and getting a fair amount of gray on his head and face.
I started going gray when I was mid 20's and turned 68 a couple of weeks ago.
Good grief! How'd I get this old this fast?
Seems like just yesterday I'd be delivering the Worcester Telegram on my morning paper route before school and my first beagle Peppy would be running rabbits while I pedaled my bike through the neighborhood.

Shady Grove Beagles

My son Zack and I got invited to bring the beagles and take a hunt on an old family farm up in Grainger County with a dad and his two sons.Brandon is 14 and his brother Lucas is 12.
It was a beautiful 60 degrees.The beagles showed out in a way to make me proud and the boys had a ball and were able to connect on the streaking cottontails.
I could tell their dad, Bradley, was some proud for them. Good boys and being raised right.
TAKE A KID HUNTING !
Attachments
DSC02751 (600 x 450).jpg
DSC02751 (600 x 450).jpg (97.08 KiB) Viewed 88853 times

Shady Grove Beagles

Last gun hunt of our Tennessee rabbit season.
Hunting in middle Tn. with Josh Stofer and his cousin Ty from Kentucky and Peter Burns from Murfreesboro,Tn.
Each kennel brought 3 dogs and the 9 dog pack made the woods ring with that good country music.And while not always the case,the pack ran very well together.
I had a great hunting season and feel fortunate to have achieved the trifecta having been able to test the beagles on all three species of rabbits with good success.
Spent two weeks up along the Canadian border hunting hare with longtime friends in Vermont and New Hampshire in October. Spent five days hunting the big swamp rabbits [cane cutters ] with my son Zack down in the Mississippi Delta in January.And got together with several friends here in Tn. for the cottontails throughout the season.
Figured I put on over 5,000 miles on the GMC pursuing the bunnies and enjoying the beagle dogs and the fellowship of good hunting companions.
Hope you all had a good hunting season.
I've always maintained that March is some of the best running here in Tn. Rabbits are breeding and the runs are pedal to the metal !
Run to catch !
Attachments
DSC02782 (600 x 450).jpg
DSC02782 (600 x 450).jpg (110.46 KiB) Viewed 88628 times

Hurricane Creek

Post by Hurricane Creek »

A fitting end to what looks like a fun season! How's Josie doing, getting fat? That would be the icing on the cake :)

Aubrey Holcombe

LOOKING MIGHTY GOOD, FELLOWS, LIKE I KNEW IT WOULD

D.R.~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~RABBIT TOWN, USA~~> :dance:

Aubrey Holcombe

Shady:

Thanks so much for the Good, years report seems that you didn't leave anyone, out on the seasons tour ! Yep, at your age going to give you some advise, get her done, while you can. How well, I CAN remember when I was your age full of pee & vinegar just retired from J & J Company Started running my back yard breeding of some mutts, and got involved with the ARHA Competition Trials. My son's and I traveled all over the USA, with my gun dogs, man what a great time we had, seems like yesterday. Sorry didn't mean to get on that, wanted to say, get it done when you can.

NOW, here is what I wanted to see if I can show you something
that don't happen often, MY two grandson's Thomas Aubrey & Luke had the opportunity, to gun hunt the big swamp for cane cutters, the last Sat. of the season. The good Lord done allowed us three to hunt together, that has always been my Prayers to hunt with my Grandson's !!

Luke took his phone and shoot some photo's of the old Kubota, and the hounds and three swampers, they managed to post them on a web sight, that I am going to see if it permit me to place here, see of it works www.thebeaglehound.net

I am not good with this modern day ?

KEEP LOOKING UP !

D.R.~~~~~~~~~~~~~>> :argue:

Aubrey Holcombe

YEP,
It's there, if you want to see some Red Necks, and their mutts, on the web sight The Beagle Hound

click,bottom right hand corner Latest Topics Swamp Rabbit Hunt

Enjoy

Proud Pa Pa

D.R.~~>>

Shady Grove Beagles

Hurricane Creek. Yes Ed Josie is getting pretty big as pups are due in about 10-11 days.Always get pretty excited about new pups arriving and anticipating what they might be some day.Got you on the list if you're still interested.

Hey Daddy Rabbit.Liked your advise " at your age get er done while you can". That's exactly my sentiment. At 68 I still feel like I can get around in the woods good and can put in a full day of hunting with hunting companions that are often quite a bit younger than me. Although it usually takes a couple of Alleve at the end of the day to get my right ankle to stop hurting. LOL.
None of us knows how much time we have here on earth and I don't plan on spending it on the couch watching mostly stupid stuff.
I've been spending my leisure time in the woods with hunting dogs for the past 50+ years and pray that I'll be able to continue for the foreseeable future-- or at least until I'm as old as you Mr Holcomb !!!!
People are always asking "How do you like retirement"? Like maybe I wouldn't ? I've run these beagles more and have taken more hunting road trips in the six years I've been retired than probably all the years before.I LOVE IT !
And I'll tell you one thing for sure-- all the extra time you put in the woods with your hounds really pays off. I've had the same breeding in my kennel now for 25 years but these four females are probably the best pack I've ever had. They've got this rabbit running / hunting thing down.
Went to that web site you mentioned and saw the pics. of you,your hounds and grand sons and that hunting rig of yours.Glad you could enjoy some time with them.
I'll throw your comment right back at ya Daddy Rabbit " at your age get er done while you can"!!