coyote takes off family pet

A general forum for the discussion of hunting with beagles, guns, clothing and other equipment and just talking dawgs! (Tall tales on hunting allowed, but remember, first liar doesn't stand a chance)

Moderators: Pike Ridge Beagles, Aaron Bartlett

Boomer

Post by Boomer »

Every coyote I've come across has run scared at a bark. I saw one a few hundred yards from my fence the other morn with 1 of my dogs in the yard, and I wasn't worried at all. But come across one that's protecting pups, or in a different part of the country, and it could be a different story.

Portraying coyotes as such bad guys that need eradication might do more harm than good. Yeah, they kill wildlife and livestock...and so do dogs. Yeah, they kill dogs...and so do other dogs. Yeah, they can attack people...and so do dogs (hundreds of times more frequently).

Many of the same reasons we come up with to justify getting rid of coyotes will be reasons animal right wackos use to justify getting rid of dogs. It could be a dangerous precedent to set.

IMHO, I'd rather deal with the coyotes than the wackos.

Huntin54

Post by Huntin54 »

Boomer you may have a point but the coyotes definetaley have to be thinned out alot in some areas.

We have a hunting cabin and all around the property is all coyote crap, we have no idea how we got somemany around there but there is no squirrels, chipmunks, very few deer, and very few turkeys, and only a couple rabbits, there is only a few grouse left to. Not just on that property but all around that area there is coyotes running around it just crazy how many there is.

And if there was very few coyotes small game hunting would be alot better then it is right now.