Starting my pup???

A general forum for the discussion of hunting with beagles, guns, clothing and other equipment and just talking dawgs! (Tall tales on hunting allowed, but remember, first liar doesn't stand a chance)

Moderators: Pike Ridge Beagles, Aaron Bartlett

luker

Starting my pup???

Post by luker »

I have a 8 1/2 month old beagle, i've had him out a few times i was just wondering how you teach him what he is looking for. Does he know or is there a way to show him, thanks for any advice.

Thanks again, Luker

AlabamaSwamper

Post by AlabamaSwamper »

He dont need to be shown anything. I only have two words: starting pen!
"No stronger bond exist than that between a man and his dog."

Link to RabbitDawg board. (Old Southernbeagles board)
http://www.excoboard.com/exco/index.php?boardid=6643

luker

thanks

Post by luker »

thanks for the advice, but where and how do i find a starting pen, i've heard of them but have no idea where to find one. I live in michigan and have looked all over for one on the web and asked my breeder but have had no luck.

thanks again, Luker

Emery

Post by Emery »

Is the dog from hunting stock? If so, just keep taking it out to where you know there are rabbits. Eventually the light will turn on.

There are numerous people on this web site from Mich. Start looking at the profiles of the people that post on the board and you will find them. From what I have seen from their posts, they are willing to help. Try giving them an e-mail. I can't think of any names off the top of my head, but with a little digging, you should find what you are looking for.

Good luck,
Emery
Be ye kind one unto another, tenderhearted, forgiving one another, even as God for Christ's sake hath forgiven you. Ephesians 4:32

bluegrass

Post by bluegrass »

Hey Luker, if you want a good starting pen, there are two that I know of...One is in Coral, MI and the other is in Auburn, IN. The one in Michigan that I know of is Dale Larsens place. He has 40 acres and really knows hounds. The one in Indiana is Cliff Troxels' place. I take most of my hounds to him for training and have had great results. Email me at tpowell@glis.net for any info you need or call 616-813-9462 I'll be glad to help. Good Luck, Tony