what ever happened to the $150 pup

A general forum for the discussion of hunting with beagles, guns, clothing and other equipment and just talking dawgs! (Tall tales on hunting allowed, but remember, first liar doesn't stand a chance)

Moderators: Pike Ridge Beagles, Aaron Bartlett

JJWI

Re: what ever happened to the $150 pup

Post by JJWI »

Not only do well bred, proven pups demand a higher price tag, but a higher price tag helps ensures someone who is serious about having a hunting dog will buy it. How many breeders have had a litter that a lot of time in it, sell them at a bargain price and check up on them a year later to find most of them went to homes that never got the dog out? When I have a litter, I want the entire litter to go to hard running owners, good, bad or indifferent, I want to know how they turn out. But they can't learn to run sitting on the chain. Having a higher price tends to weed out all the "I want to start rabbit hunting this month" crowd.

Ron Conroe

Post by Ron Conroe »

whos to say if they are well bred or not, your well bed dog some people might think is junk, or my well bred dogs, you might say are junk. i don't think you can say its your line unless you have been breeding them at least 5 years. the only guys out there that has a honest line of hounds out there are branko... larsen....mel foust....them guys have put there time in.

chapkosbeagles

Post by chapkosbeagles »

I got them top of the line 150 who wants um pedigree on pup section clean fast tons of hunt and nose cant go wrong

Call everyone super hound gona ve some naturals

ohlinger

Post by ohlinger »

JJWI wrote:Not only do well bred, proven pups demand a higher price tag, but a higher price tag helps ensures someone who is serious about having a hunting dog will buy it. How many breeders have had a litter that a lot of time in it, sell them at a bargain price and check up on them a year later to find most of them went to homes that never got the dog out? When I have a litter, I want the entire litter to go to hard running owners, good, bad or indifferent, I want to know how they turn out. But they can't learn to run sitting on the chain. Having a higher price tends to weed out all the "I want to start rabbit hunting this month" crowd.

absolutely right...the guys looking for the bargain pup, prbly are'nt to serious about owning/investing time into something that has the potential to be above average...It's all in how bad you/they want it...breeding is'nt entirely a crap shoot...knowing you're dogs and the lines you are fooling with, what has and has'nt worked in the past you can get a pretty good idea of what to expect....I do understand where people are coming from with all the "world beater" crosses though. some breeders are just breeding to make money based off names on papers, and it's our job as houndsmen to make buyers aware of such things.....work in the field is the only place to know what your'e really getting into.........
NO LUCK KENNEL 330-987-5883 noluckkennels.webs.com

Mapel Valley Kennels LLC.

Post by Mapel Valley Kennels LLC. »

JJWI wrote:Not only do well bred, proven pups demand a higher price tag, but a higher price tag helps ensures someone who is serious about having a hunting dog will buy it. How many breeders have had a litter that a lot of time in it, sell them at a bargain price and check up on them a year later to find most of them went to homes that never got the dog out? When I have a litter, I want the entire litter to go to hard running owners, good, bad or indifferent, I want to know how they turn out. But they can't learn to run sitting on the chain. Having a higher price tends to weed out all the "I want to start rabbit hunting this month" crowd.
Nice post and ahhhhhhhhh so true.I had a fella call me one night about 11.30 he woke me up which is a no-no at my house then picked my brain only to tell me my dogs ears looked a little short and tail was kinda long :mad2: .... Well i explained he aint a show hound just a ol rabbit dog and dont ever call my fu@@@@@ house again. I sold him sometime later i hate tire kickers and got breeding rights so it all turned out pretty well. I have sold pups as high as 300.00 and give some away, i do however think 200.00-300.00 is a reasonably price for a well bred pup.
When the moment of truth arrives, the point of preparation has passed.
Old School, Full Throttle ,No Bottle.

Ron Conroe

Post by Ron Conroe »

so well you guys explain to me what a well bred hound is,or what you might think a real well bred hound is just curious.

hounddog

Post by hounddog »

Ron Conroe wrote:so well you guys explain to me what a well bred hound is,or what you might think a real well bred hound is just curious.
Ron, IMO, A well bred hound is like beauty, It's in the eye of the beholder!

hounddog
Jim Umbarger
---------Jump Mountain Kennels-----------
540-292-3000

BCBeagles

Post by BCBeagles »

One out of two quality parents that get stiff looking for a rabbit and run it like they need it for dinner at about a 7 on speed is well bred enough for me!!! :D

I ain't kennel blind, I like rabbit dogs!!LOL Some are my style others not so much, but I enjoy seeing if they are my style.

Mapel Valley Kennels LLC.

Post by Mapel Valley Kennels LLC. »

Ron Conroe wrote:so well you guys explain to me what a well bred hound is,or what you might think a real well bred hound is just curious.
Ron i think a well bred hound is anything you run. And i also look for qualities such as father to daughter crosses just saying. We cant all have reggie dogs.
When the moment of truth arrives, the point of preparation has passed.
Old School, Full Throttle ,No Bottle.

NeilKimbrel7

Post by NeilKimbrel7 »

Ron, I think they are right when they say beauty is in the eye of the beholder. Something I would think would hit home to you would be the tyke x buck hills misty cross. Seems like that was a pretty popular cross. I've seen nice dogs run in two different registries (akc Midwest and arha pp) out of it. That cross would be well bred because it was proven and the bitch apparently complimented the cross. Just curious, why would someone that gets free puppies be concerned on the price pups are selling for. I bred a hitman/Larsen bred bitch to tyke and I hope she sticks. I probably won't sell any pups but if I did they wouldn't be 150 dollars. Several reasons, but his age and the fact that they don't live forever would demand a higher price. Also, I bred the same bitch to my Kane dog and liked the results so I know she's capable of producing nice pups to my standards.
HOF LPGRCH GRPCH FCGD Kimbrel's Kickem Up Kane
Kimbrel's Flyby Foxy lady
Kimbrel’s Rock
Peeple’s Naughty Girl

BAOTB

Ron Conroe

Post by Ron Conroe »

the reason i ask the question, it seems to me the market is flooded and everyone is trying to make a million off them.as for me im not just stuck on ranger dan, i would take anything that can run a rabbit the way i want. i have had good branko dogs, patch, jiggs. im not stuck on one pedigree,im just old school i guess, you breed two good solid rabbit dogs, and try to get some good pups. i been trialing for about 20 years and only had three litters of pups.

warddog

Post by warddog »

Ron,
I think you know the crosses I have made with my Nikki female to Green Bay Shooter and the3 last one to a son of Shooter Glacier Ridge Renegade. These crosses put ole Ranger Dan up close and personal in the second and third generations both on the top and bottom side of the puppy pedigrees. This is what I consider a well bred litter and the fact of knowing that from the first Nikki/Shooter cross a FC was made in Green Bay Tula. I also have seen where Tula has pups that are placing in trial's too so to me that shows that the traits are there in this breeding. I'll also say that I know that NOT each and every pup has been above average but all of them can run a rabbit well if they were given a chance. With that said and the fact that the stud fees are not cheap as is the fuel to travel back and forth to get the female bred, brucellosis test, puppy shots and wormings I am of the opinion that these crosses justified a higher price. I'll also state that I am not a breeder or anything other than a novice when it comes to breeding but I have bred hounds over my many years following them to replace those in our kennels that are getting some age on them. I can say that NOT every pup from these crosses made above average dogs but I can say that everyone of them will run a rabbit. I know that pedigrees doesn't a rabbit hound make but what I tried to do was to improve what I had in my good female by lining her up with a stud that possessed the same quality traits AND stamp them into the offspring by assuring the stud showed not only those traits BUt the exact same linage as well. In my discussions with folks who knew much about Ranger Dan I was told that lining him up was actually more to line up the Wingate Brandon blood rather than Ranger Dan himself. Even with all this I knew there could be no guarantee of how each pup would turn out as that is the basis for my statement that every cross is a roll of the dice, period. My hope in the research and picking the stud dogs was to match up as many of the traits I liked in hopes that the dice would roll up their number and not those bad lingering traits not seen but still very much there. All this is strictly my opinion made from the personal observations I have made over 8 years of breeding this same quality female and keeping track of nearly all the offspring. One more point that comes to my mind is that NOT many of these pups were even trialed and most went to folks like me who are rabbit hunters and do not trial at all.