New Garmin Astro (Review)

A general forum for the discussion of hunting with beagles, guns, clothing and other equipment and just talking dawgs! (Tall tales on hunting allowed, but remember, first liar doesn't stand a chance)

Moderators: Pike Ridge Beagles, Aaron Bartlett

deerhost

Re: New Garmin Astro (Review)

Post by deerhost »

I got the best price from Chip Eisenhult on this site. I'm sure I mispelled his name, but he is on this board and I'll tell you, It was the fisrt time I delt with the guy and he was great. Called me when it was sent out, sent ma a tracking number and was just a good all around guy to deal with.....Dh

DIXIEDOG

Post by DIXIEDOG »

TurnLeftBeagles wrote:
DIXIEDOG wrote:Is it true that these collars use telemetry technology for the dog tracking portion of the unit?
Yes, The coonhunters reviews aren't as positive as the ones on here. They are complaining about the lack of range with the Garmin compared to standard telemetry.
I thought that was how they worked but it seemed like most people mentioned the extreme accuracy when using the GPS system rather than the general direction like a standard tracking unit but since they are using the same technology they should have the same accuracy, if not possibly a little worse due to the lack of a uni-directional antenna.

PREACHERS,KENNEL

Post by PREACHERS,KENNEL »

dixie we could take normal tracking collars hide them some where and take the garmin out hide it keep 2 guys where they cant see where they were hid the garmin guy will find his be back at the truck before the other guy ever finds it if he does indeed find it!

steve w

Post by steve w »

The only thing the same between the Astro and a conventional tracking system would be a radio signal is used for both to transmit information. It's the way the information is interpeted that is the major differance. With the regular tracking reciever it tells you approximately the direction and distance the collar is from you. The GPS or Astro system tells you exactly the distance in feet or miles, the direction by compass bearing as well as where the dog has been or is going.You pretty much have a computer in your hand showing readable info instead of a reciever making noises when pointed in the proper direction. Add in the ability to mark places so that your able to come back to them from anywhere and the ability to show maps and the Astro is nothing like a normal tracking system.

DIXIEDOG

Post by DIXIEDOG »

PREACHERS,KENNEL wrote:dixie we could take normal tracking collars hide them some where and take the garmin out hide it keep 2 guys where they cant see where they were hid the garmin guy will find his be back at the truck before the other guy ever finds it if he does indeed find it!
Not doubting you but wish you were closer so we could try that experiment. I haven't used the Garmin so I can't say it's not the best thing since sliced bread but I don't understand how they can use the same exact technology and get so much better results from it. I guess I'll have to find somebody around here that has one and check it out in the field.

Ohiohntr

Post by Ohiohntr »

Just my opinion but I don't believe it is the same technology and if it is then the "other" systems really missed the boat because the information the Garmin can provide is superior to anything else remotely related to tracking. The receiver and transmitters are both locked onto sattelites and they are feeding their exact locations back to each other in relationship to all other points around them including topography and the handheld unit is then interpreting the information in a usable format dedicated to the houndsman.....not even close to the "old" point and beep systems (which is what I have).

A guy had his dogs running with mine and he was able to tell me they were across the creek and approximately how far on the other side they were. Had he not shown up I would have swore they were still on my side. As he called in his dogs he could tell instantly when they were heading his direction and how many ft/yrds they were away from him. Even if I would have had my QT10M I would have only been able to tell a general direction and if the dogs were close, medium, or far.

I wasn't thinking I would want to replace my system either but now I am having second thoughts since I have seen it in use.
FC Green Bay Nemasket Singer
FWR Blue Boy's Lightfoot

DIXIEDOG

Post by DIXIEDOG »

Ohiohntr wrote:Just my opinion but I don't believe it is the same technology and if it is then the "other" systems really missed the boat because the information the Garmin can provide is superior to anything else remotely related to tracking. The receiver and transmitters are both locked onto sattelites and they are feeding their exact locations back to each other in relationship to all other points around them including topography and the handheld unit is then interpreting the information in a usable format dedicated to the houndsman.....not even close to the "old" point and beep systems (which is what I have).

A guy had his dogs running with mine and he was able to tell me they were across the creek and approximately how far on the other side they were. Had he not shown up I would have swore they were still on my side. As he called in his dogs he could tell instantly when they were heading his direction and how many ft/yrds they were away from him. Even if I would have had my QT10M I would have only been able to tell a general direction and if the dogs were close, medium, or far.

I wasn't thinking I would want to replace my system either but now I am having second thoughts since I have seen it in use.
If both the transmitter and receiver are locked onto satelites why do they only have a 7 mile range?

Bryan

Post by Bryan »

The limit to the range is from the antenna on the collar that sends the gps signal from the collar to the handheld receiver. It is nice to be able to watch the screen and see what your dogs are doing and where they have run.

ironjawdawgs

Post by ironjawdawgs »

My biggest question was the battery life these collars had on them. If I was out of state somewhere and lost them and couldn't get to them for a couple days or even three days I wouldn’t be able to, do to the battery life in the collars. I would like to be able to have more battery life if need be (more so) for a piece of mind. I'll wait until they extend the battery life a good bit more and their size before I go and buy one I think. With time I think the size and battery life will only get better. The unit sounds great other then that. I think I would be watching the GPS screen more then I would be looking for the rabbit, LOL! The price doesn't sound all that bad either!!
Elliott

DIRTY WORK

Post by DIRTY WORK »

I definetly reccomend Chip Eisenhut....I bought mine from Chip and he communicated very well with me and I appreciated it. That's not to mention he was less expensive than anyone else. I love my DC30's.

Thanks Chip!!!
DONNIE FLETCHER
606-794-3704
Keep'em Hoppin

T LEE

Post by T LEE »

I like the idea of KNOWING when a dogs is making his/her way to you when called. There is NO NEED of "toning " the dog with the tri-trionics. Now you would know for sure.

Chief Long Hair

Post by Chief Long Hair »

One draw back that I see, and it's not much of one, is these collars are not yet approved for an AKC beagle field trial. AKC as language and pictures fo what collars are approved for these hunts. I heard it took a few years for AKC to even allow the first collar. Hopefully it won't take to long?

ironjawdawgs, the battery life depends on the updating of info. I think if you set the update for every 5 seconds, the battery life is 17 hours; For 10 seconds, the battery life is 24 hours; and 15 seconds, the battery life is 36 hours.

Check these links out for the specs on both handheld and collar.

https://buy.garmin.com/shop/shop.do?cID=209&pID=8576

https://buy.garmin.com/shop/shop.do?pID=15512

Hope this helps, Da Chief
I'VE GOT SOME DOGS THAT ARE GONNA HURT SOME FEELINGS!!!!! I just hope it's not mine. Home of Wild Hare Kennels and FC Creek Woods Blue.

ANTHONY KERR

Post by ANTHONY KERR »

It looks like it would be good for judging a trial. You could see who was swinging, skirting, or running behind. The guy comes up and says" old Barker was getting a bunch of checks and you don't have him down for any score". Pull out the hand held and show him that old Barker was off track and doing what had already been done. If you can have all the transmitters simultaneously shown on the receiver and get Garmin to add instant replay. :cool:
Where's the earth shattering kaboom ?

Chief Long Hair

Post by Chief Long Hair »

Maybe we can then give the judges yellow flags as well!!!
I'VE GOT SOME DOGS THAT ARE GONNA HURT SOME FEELINGS!!!!! I just hope it's not mine. Home of Wild Hare Kennels and FC Creek Woods Blue.

DIXIEDOG

Post by DIXIEDOG »

ANTHONY KERR wrote:It looks like it would be good for judging a trial. You could see who was swinging, skirting, or running behind. The guy comes up and says" old Barker was getting a bunch of checks and you don't have him down for any score". Pull out the hand held and show him that old Barker was off track and doing what had already been done. If you can have all the transmitters simultaneously shown on the receiver and get Garmin to add instant replay. :cool:
Ya' I think you're on to something with judging, we could have piles of "me too" field champions that were right up in the front all day, it would also help to score some great "ghost trailers" if you never needed to see the rabbit you could just pull out the Garmin and see everything :roll: