what ever happened to the $150 pup

A general forum for the discussion of hunting with beagles, guns, clothing and other equipment and just talking dawgs! (Tall tales on hunting allowed, but remember, first liar doesn't stand a chance)

Moderators: Pike Ridge Beagles, Aaron Bartlett

Crow

Re: what ever happened to the $150 pup

Post by Crow »

I never really understood why someone will pay $200-$300 for a pup with no guarantee of anything but will think you're out of your mind when you try to sale a 2-3 year old trained & broke dog for any more than that. Look at the board. There's as many $250 "world beaters" on there as there are $250 pups. Makes no sense to me, I guess dreams, possibilities, & "potential" are worth more than actual ability to some.

Mapel Valley Kennels LLC.

Post by Mapel Valley Kennels LLC. »

beaglerof4 wrote:IMHO there isnt a puppy worth $300, because you really dont know what your going to get. I have paid $300 for several dogs, just to sell them later on for maybe half the price I paid, or I end up giving them away. Kinda funny that we pay $300 for a pup that is supposed to be top notch, but when it comes to a bloodline that is not familiar, we wont look twice if it says $300. I am starting to look at things a whole lot different lately, and will not pay that kind of money for a pup again. I just sold a Greenbay male not long ago that I had a ton of time into, and was a good running dog when I sold him for $150, which is what I paid for him unstarted. The guy I sold him to is extremely happy with him, and only had to pay half the price of the usual puppy price that a lot of guys want.
One mans trash is another mans treasure.
When the moment of truth arrives, the point of preparation has passed.
Old School, Full Throttle ,No Bottle.

gun runner

Post by gun runner »

I look at it differnt i guess,i do not like paying a high price for a pup not knowing what you might get out of it.I think alot of people really forgot what dog were used for back in the day hunting or working,not lap dog or for show dogs.People look at dogs like family mebers in stead of workers,I will be the frist one to bring my beagles inside on a really hot or cold days.But they better keep me stock up with rabbits.But nothing is cheap anymore,just say i want to bred my female to IFC GREENWELLS REGGIE i will have 300 in fuel 300 in stud fee a test for the female and so on.I know that i choose to make that trip and pay that for the stud fee.But really is 200 or 250 to much for a pup so a guy can make alittle money back.He is taken a chance of selling the best pup and keep a bad one,so i guess it comes down to what you like and how much you will pay.(JMO) Not trying to start a war
LYNCH MOB KENNEL

LITAWAY'S CAPITAIN COLT COMMANDER
AWFULBAWLIN SMOKEN RED RYDER

warddog

Post by warddog »

The value of something is what a single person will pay for it so it's worth is in the eye of the beholder. The best beagle I have EVER seen in my lifetime was bought for $35.00 back when I was a kid in the mid 50's. Everyone still living in my family still use him as a yardstick to judge other beagles. How was he priced as compared to beagles we see for sale today? Well, I just looked at an e-mail titled "Remember When' from 1955 that showed gas at 20.5 cents per gallon, 3 cent postage stamps, minimum wage going up to $1.00 per hour and a TOP paid professional baseball player getting a $50,000.00 contract. I'm certainly not advocating that every pup is worth $300.00 or any beagle is worth what I commonly see of $1000.00+ but evidently someone sees them worth that much as they get sold. I could put a lot of groceries on the table for a $1000.00+ dollars so I'm thinking that the bottom end is relative to the top end.

dog

Post by dog »

$150 pups are out there , they are in my area anyway . I wont pay that much for one , to acomplish my goals with rabbit dogs , i dont have too. I wont pay over $50 for a pup and have never payed more than $200 for a dog . what i have suits me fine , the best dog i have ever owned was free and the best i have in my kennel now cost me $35 as a pup. keep in mind , im not looking for a world beater , papers dont mean anything to me , i just pleasure run dogs and hunt them 2 or 3 days a week !

chapkosbeagles

Post by chapkosbeagles »

ron every litter I breed over here I give 2 or 3 away but if they are for sale I think 100 to 200 is fair but I am a poor boy so how about a tyke :D female for 100
Ofcourse the next free one that is

Ron Conroe

Post by Ron Conroe »

chappy, dick has sold quite a few for 150 if you want to drive to ar to get them.

BCBeagles

Post by BCBeagles »

I say if you find a nice pup out of hounds you like and it could be what you want, buy it.. To be honest, I raised my level of the type of hound I owned and for that matter, the type of pup I would buy and I find my enjoyment to be twice what it was.

I was dealing in average hounds, they would be effective for the most part, but I found a few that really suited me and I am now much happier with the results. IS THERE A BIG GAP BETWEEN A FCGD AND A VERY GOOD HOUND??? NO, but there is a gap, you just have to look closely.

I, opposed to some,(no offense meant) do want a world beater and if we all were real honest would want that hound of a lifetime to. I am striving to find that hound with the ones I have so that quest is VERY FUN to me. I get tired of excuses for poor running, bad scent, too hot to hunt, and on and on. I don't want to make excuses. LOL. I want the best I can find and if it is $150 or $450 or even more in a pup that can get me there I will buy it!!! Will it be the next great one, odds say not, but MAN IT COULD BE. :D

So I think this is to me is what gambling on a slot machine is to some. The next pull or pup will be the ONE!!! LOL.

I think $150 for a pup is cheap, but if that pup had parents that I thought could produce a super hound I would get it, same as if it was $450, JMO.

Look at the coonhound world and there pups, our pups at 150 to 300 are CHEAP compared to many of theres at 350-1000 or more in some cases. That is normal and not the abnormal.

Good running to all!

bigdogpace

Post by bigdogpace »

EVERTHING IS OVER PRICED BECAUSE OF OUR ECONOMY SHOULD THAT MAKE THEM CHEAPER I DON'T KNOW DOG FEED SHOTS WORMER STUD FEES EVERY THING HAS GONE UP USE TO B MORE U SOLD OF SOMETHING THE CHEAPER IT WAS NOW MORE U SELL IT HIGHER IT IS . I LOOK AT IT LIKE THIS U CAN'T PUT A PRICE ON SOMETHING U LOVE. LIKE MY WIFE I SPENT OVER A MILLION DOLLARS N 40 YRS ON HER WAS IT WORTH OH YES BECAUSE SHE'S SITTING RIGHT BEHIND ME READING THIS POST. AND SHE IS ONE N A MILLION LOL!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
BIGDOGPACE

Ron Conroe

Post by Ron Conroe »

first registered pup i bought paid 75 for him, started trialing him and he finisher in the midwest.he was a good one. well then i tried a couple of 300 dollar ones that were well bred, lets just say they are pushing up daisys. 2nd dog i finshed 150, 3rd dog i finished free, fourth dog finished 400 he was 3 yrs old and and running. so i guess you don't have to put alot of money into a dogs, maybe just time. if you love to listen to hounds, its the best music out there :nod:

BCBeagles

Post by BCBeagles »

Ron you hit the nail on the head! Time is the most valuable criteria for making a 5 dollar pup a rabbit dog or a 1000 pup a rabbit dog.

One of the nicest hounds I own, I bought for 350 as a 2 yr old. Hours and hours later, he can hang with anything he is put down with. He was ran by a friend of mine for 3 months this summer at the clip of at least 5 days a week for about 4 hours a day. I can't put that kind of time on one, just glad someone I know can!! LOL.

Crow

Post by Crow »

BCBeagles wrote:I say if you find a nice pup out of hounds you like and it could be what you want, buy it.. To be honest, I raised my level of the type of hound I owned and for that matter, the type of pup I would buy and I find my enjoyment to be twice what it was.

I was dealing in average hounds, they would be effective for the most part, but I found a few that really suited me and I am now much happier with the results. IS THERE A BIG GAP BETWEEN A FCGD AND A VERY GOOD HOUND??? NO, but there is a gap, you just have to look closely.

I, opposed to some,(no offense meant) do want a world beater and if we all were real honest would want that hound of a lifetime to. I am striving to find that hound with the ones I have so that quest is VERY FUN to me. I get tired of excuses for poor running, bad scent, too hot to hunt, and on and on. I don't want to make excuses. LOL. I want the best I can find and if it is $150 or $450 or even more in a pup that can get me there I will buy it!!! Will it be the next great one, odds say not, but MAN IT COULD BE. :D

So I think this is to me is what gambling on a slot machine is to some. The next pull or pup will be the ONE!!! LOL.

I think $150 for a pup is cheap, but if that pup had parents that I thought could produce a super hound I would get it, same as if it was $450, JMO.

Look at the coonhound world and there pups, our pups at 150 to 300 are CHEAP compared to many of theres at 350-1000 or more in some cases. That is normal and not the abnormal.

Good running to all!
I was involved in one way or another with coon hunting for a number of years prior to getting into beagles. One glaring point is absent from your comparison to coon hounds. . . PKC, more accurately the amount of money that can be & is won in their events each year. Not that long ago UKC was the registry of choice for cooners much the way AKC is now for beagles. UKC was absolutely against winning money at their licensed events as was AKC. You could go buy a pretty good coon dog for the price of a mid range beagle now days. Then we start hearing about these "new" hunts, something called PKC, rumor had it that you actually won money if you were good (or lucky as the case may be) enough to win. Well that's absurd. . . you don't win money in competition hunts. Well fast forward 15 years or so & PKC is now the dominant registry in coon hunting with professional handlers with salaries, commissions for winnings, & expense accounts. Heck a buddy of mine has a regular job but hunts in PKC enough that he pretty much supports his hunting habit with his annual winnings. I'm talking gas, motels, entry fees, lights, boxes, dogs, whatever. Point is when you have the opportunity to make $10K, $20K, $30K up to who know how much per year doing something then the price of what enables you to do that will go up. I mean they have their "Truck Hunt" every year that they give away a new truck to 1st. That's just one prize of many to one place in one hunt. Heck according to the PKC website the top all time earning dog is a walker with a total winnings of $499,132.35 No I didn't miss a comma or a decimal that's half a mil. That's a dog in its lifetime. Multiple listed with over $100K & I know for a fact that several of those died early in life from chevy's & such. Good thing is (or bad depending on how you look at it) the PKC beagle program is looming on the horizon. Does that mean were a few years from seeing a norm of $15-$20K beagle (& way more in some coon dog cases) I don't think so. But then again I didn't ever think coon dogs would get there either.

Sorry so long just looking ahead.

stavemillbeagles

Post by stavemillbeagles »

I'm sorry but i would pay extra for a pup that is out of known producers jmo

on another note;
If you don't want to or can't afford to spend $250 for a pup then DON"T it seems pretty easy to me.
Chris & Yum Yum Wells
http://huntingbeagle.gotop100.com/out.php?id=431

Haters Motivate Me!!

chapkosbeagles

Post by chapkosbeagles »

I tryed to buy one on here yesterday he wanted 250

I offered him 150 he shot me down and his bitch isent even a champion. I tryed to even offer him a better breed pup out of a ftch bitch who is like the michel jordan of bitches she just needs points to be a ifc. I no one thing I wont spend more than 150 unless they are out of a ch bitch as bitch carry most of the traits

Ron Conroe

Post by Ron Conroe »

just because she is not a fc does not make her less of a dog, there is a lot of bitches out there that produce that are not fc's.you breed just on pedigrees you are a fool. you think all them pedigrees are true you are a fool there to. you know how many pappers have been traded around on dogs.