Rules on measured dogs needs changed!!!!!!

A general forum for the discussion of hunting with beagles, guns, clothing and other equipment and just talking dawgs! (Tall tales on hunting allowed, but remember, first liar doesn't stand a chance)

Moderators: Pike Ridge Beagles, Aaron Bartlett

dawg182

Re: Rules on measured dogs needs changed!!!!!!

Post by dawg182 »

stupidest rule in any trial is measuring a hound. 16 or 17 inches no matter. if you get beat you get beat. they should do away with the height and just run them all. if you wanna split spit males and females fine, but measuring is just an enormous waste of time.

AV Spencer

Post by AV Spencer »

I don't think people ask for measurements to beat their dogs. I think people do it because they gave away, sold, or did not bring their hound that was bigger than 15 inches. They played by the rules ,and they want everyone else to.

Standards are standards, period.

AVS
Run for Fun

CHAD CAMPBELL

Post by CHAD CAMPBELL »

I have a male that was measured by four different guys on the same day and all four came up with a different measurement. That is the biggest problem. I wont be getting rid of my 15 inch hounds because of a flawed system.
CLEAR CREEK BEAGLES

AV Spencer

Post by AV Spencer »

That is a great point. How close were the measurements?

I wonder, if you had 4 carpenters would they measure exact every time? Although, there measuring item does not move, breathe, or shiver.

AVS
Run for Fun

bigdogs0074

Post by bigdogs0074 »

dawg182 wrote:stupidest rule in any trial is measuring a hound. 16 or 17 inches no matter. if you get beat you get beat. they should do away with the height and just run them all. if you wanna split spit males and females fine, but measuring is just an enormous waste of time.
:D :check: :check: :check: :check: :check: :check: :check: :check:

Mo. Beagler 5000

Post by Mo. Beagler 5000 »

dawg182 wrote:stupidest rule in any trial is measuring a hound. 16 or 17 inches no matter. if you get beat you get beat. they should do away with the height and just run them all. if you wanna split spit males and females fine, but measuring is just an enormous waste of time.

No way... Pretty soon you would have guys bringing 19 or 20 in dogs to a trial... Beagles are bred to be short and we should promote hounds that fit the breed standard. I am not saying make a big deal between a dog thats a little over 15 inches but 16 OR 17 IN dog is clearly pushing it.
God isn't real, Beer is good and people are crazy, there I fixed it.

HillBeagles

Post by HillBeagles »

Seems like this is a bigger issue in LP vs AKC ? Is this because AKC runs 15" with 15" and 13" with 13" ? VS LP throwing them all together. I personally own a dog that has been measured anywhere from 14"1/4 to 15"1/2. I got a card on him now why? The problem isn't with the rules or official card, it's with those who don't under stand how or what to do when it comes to measuring a hound.
Josh Hill
859-613-2419

rabbitearl

Post by rabbitearl »

I don t know never measure a dog in these fun trials,never had anybody say anything about it.I look at it this way.Most of the beagler out there wants papers with there dog.And I believe all formats wants the dog to be reg and all reg beagles cannot run in a trial if its over 15.They say anything over 15 is not a beagle but a hound.I think that the formats should hornor this and should look at this better than they do.I say if you have a beagle over 15 in and you paid to get it reg.Any format out there that not support anything over 15 should give your money back and that dog is nolonger a beagle.But if there are not going to support it then put the measured stand away.If I had a 17 inch hound and I reg it so they can get my money.Then that dog should run in the trial.Its a beagle.The formats should do better.

Bull_357

Post by Bull_357 »

I will be getting a measuring card for my one male only to protect me from driving a long distance and not being able to hunt him. He is only about 14 1/2 inches but I have had him measured from 14 1/4 and 15 on the dot and that was only during two different trials I ran him in last year as a pup. A dog can't shrink 3/4 of an in a week lol
Contenderized

begles

Post by begles »

That card is not garenteed, if someone wants your dog measured it will happen. The card is only so you don`t have to measure at time of entry.

Bunnyblaster

Post by Bunnyblaster »

The more you guys discuss this the more it makes me think of some stuff I'm sure you've all already thought of and discussed in the past but here goes anyway.

I am kind of on board with the thought that if you run a dog that's right at 15" sometimes it's gonna measure out and if so then don't cry about it. But the last few posts brought to light what about the guy that drives hundreds of miles to get to a trial only to have his dog get measure out? And maybe even after it measured in in the last few hunts he's been to? I realize guys that run dogs that are borderline are pushing it but who wants to miss a big trial? Shouldn't there be a way to get a permanent card or at least be able to have your dog verified before you spend the time and gas money to get to a trial that's some distance away? From the things I read about trialing participation can sometimes be an issue so if a guy has a dog that potentially qualifies then shouldn't you try to do whatever you can to make sure they get included to help keep the sport alive?

In my humble and inexperienced opinion a dog is only as tall as it is. The variables here are how the dog is made to stand and the person actually reading the stick........and of course proper placement of the stick too. So wouldn't it make sense to have some way for guys to get a permanent, verified measurement card that cannot be contested? I don't trial much but like I said I would sure hate to put on a bunch of miles only to get measured out before the competition even began. jmo
Bunnyblaster

"You can't change the past but you can ruin the present by worrying about the future."

applewaybeagles

Post by applewaybeagles »

Maybe im just speaking crazy here but I run a range of different size dogs from 12 1/2 - 14 7/8 and running in the hr casts Any dog can do great and the way I see it if an 1/8 or 1/4 in beats me then that dog did better then mine
Scott Derrick
Home of:
LPRCH Logan Elm Stubby
LPBCH 2014 Ohio State Open Bench BOS Coventry's Brava Blue
Logan Elm Force

RIP:
Appleway's Show me the Money
Appleway's Hercules

Bunnyblaster

Post by Bunnyblaster »

I agree with what you're saying but at the same time shouldn't there be some kind of a standard kept? And like you said if you raise the height to 20" someone will still bring one that could measure out.
Bunnyblaster

"You can't change the past but you can ruin the present by worrying about the future."

warddog

Post by warddog »

I'm like Bunny and am totally inexperianced in beagle trials but what I do NOT understand are rules or standards that have no specific means of assurance. It would appear to me that if a registry sets a breed standard of no more than 15" in height than they should have a specific means of verifying that "THEIR" standard is met for the breed they recognise under "THEIR" registry. I am of the opinion that a registry is no better than the rules they enforce and if they do NOT provide a means of doing so they aren't worth the paper they print the certificates on. With that said why doesn't the registries mandate that "THEIR" breed standards are met and provide a specific means of verification. As for the measurement the sanctioning registry should provide for someone certified by them that has been trained by them to be available just as a breed inspector would be, for the sole purpose of measuring the dogs. Wouldn't this standardize the method, as the ones doing it would be certified by the registry sanctioning the hunt, which should put some teeth in "THEIR" registry as well. It would then call to question ANY dog that measured above the 15" mark as even being qualified to be registered by their registry, let alone participate in a trial as it certainly would NOT Meet "THEIR" basic breed standard. One way to stop oversized dogs being trialed is to not allow them to be registered in a registry that has a breed standard of 15" or less in the first place. Funny we NEVER hear of anyone questioning the beagles size when shown in one of the BIG TIME shows and they have the very same breed standards to meet when being shown as well as for being trialed.

applewaybeagles

Post by applewaybeagles »

Right n I agree with what everyone is sayin there shouldnt be 16+ in beagles or hounds in it but 15 1/8 that could be just a measurekent mistake when the dig is rly 14 3/4 so I mean its just my opinion if an 1/8 or 1/4 inch beats me them that day that guy had a better dog but I'm personally not gonna ask to have a dog measured anyway just bc o think its to big or not
Scott Derrick
Home of:
LPRCH Logan Elm Stubby
LPBCH 2014 Ohio State Open Bench BOS Coventry's Brava Blue
Logan Elm Force

RIP:
Appleway's Show me the Money
Appleway's Hercules