Recommended loads for Hare hunting.

A general forum for the discussion of hunting with beagles, guns, clothing and other equipment and just talking dawgs! (Tall tales on hunting allowed, but remember, first liar doesn't stand a chance)

Moderators: Pike Ridge Beagles, Aaron Bartlett

ohlinger

Re: Recommended loads for Hare hunting.

Post by ohlinger »

mybeagles wrote:For years I hunted with 20 guage #4 high brass out of ignorance. I purchased a Rem. 1100 this year and a knowledgable dealer mentioned how well that gun patterns 7 1/2 shot. After patterning a shotgun for the first time I realized what a big difference shot size matters in accuracy. I think the answer has more to do with what your gun shoots best rather than what is needed to kill a hare....

Check people using 20ga #4's must be ignorant thanks for the feed back. Would'nt have expected anything less from you. LMAO.
NO LUCK KENNEL 330-987-5883 noluckkennels.webs.com

reddog1

Post by reddog1 »

golden acres wrote:I was unaware of Drummonds shortage of hare. After 20 years of running their. I will still go back and just let my dogs run around and exercise wishing that the hare was not extinct their. I still plan on moving their in 12 years and maybe the hare population will be back as good as it was in October 2013.
Jamie, I too was unaware of a hare shortage. I have always been able to find hare to run. Most of the guys that come up and run with me over the month that I am there would rather just run hare and not kill them. However we do take a couple but we don't kill everything we run.

I hope to see you up there this fall

Reddog

island hare chas'r

Post by island hare chas'r »

ON THE ISLAND LAST WEEKEND STILL SNOW IN THE CEDARS AND THE "SHOES" WERE STILL 80% WHITE. ICE IN THE BAY PERCH FISHERMAN COULDNT GET OUT MAYBE BY TODAY. GETTING SMELT LIKE THE GOOD OLD DAYS 30 GALLONS BY SOME GUYS IN AN HOUR, BETTER HURRY OR YOU WILL HEAR "SHOULD HAVE BEEN HERE YESTERDAY" I FINALLY RELIZED WHY I DONT SEE THE "SHOES" YOU GUYS DO I DONT HAVE NEAR ENOUGH DOGS AND NO FIELD CHAMPS. JAMES IF YOU ARE MOVING THERE IN 12 YEARS HOPEFULLY THE "SHOES" WONT GET ANY SMARTER OR DEPLETED. ALL HAVE A ENJOYABLE BREAK UNTIL JULY THE 6TH THEN WE CAN START CHAS'N THE BEARS.

reddog1

Post by reddog1 »

No field champs here but we so put a few dogs down at times :lol:

crowtown kennel

Post by crowtown kennel »

I'm suppose to go on this trip with Ohlinger but after reading about how bad the wolves are I'm not sure I wanna take any dogs" lol
GRCH GRHBCH Hunter Run Molly
GRHBCH No Luck Red Falcon of Crowtown
Crowtowns Emma
Gabbys Blue Ace of Crowtown
Hurricanes Red Irish Rose
No Luck VA Voodoo of Crowtown
CH Adams Beth

reddog1

Post by reddog1 »

I have found that Hare shot early in the season taste pretty good. However if you get one later in the season after the snow has fallen, they have a strong cedar taste.