Pennsylvania handgun while dog training?

A general forum for the discussion of hunting with beagles, guns, clothing and other equipment and just talking dawgs! (Tall tales on hunting allowed, but remember, first liar doesn't stand a chance)

Moderators: Pike Ridge Beagles, Aaron Bartlett

fasttrackpa

Re: Pennsylvania handgun while dog training?

Post by fasttrackpa »

:check: :thumbsup:
Andy Purnell-Dead River Beagles
FC Purnell's Greens Valley Dixie
FC Purnell's Dead River Rebel RIP
FCGD Dead River Hare Razin Ruby
FCGD Purnell's Dead River Ranger
FCGD Purnell's Dead River Bloo Bell

Mo. Beagler 5000

Post by Mo. Beagler 5000 »

bigjohn wrote:
Mo. Beagler 5000 wrote:
Panther Creek wrote:That's a good question that I was wondering about in MO also. I decided to get my conceal & carry licence, for one reason so that if I WAS carrying a handgun while running dogs in the off season, (coyotes) , It might help my reasoning with a Cons. officer. -(to show that I wasn't just out hunting out of season but protection for my dogs).

With your CCW it is legal to have it on your person concealed when running dogs legally. You cannot use it to do anything but to protect yourself though. Can't even unconceal it unless you plan on using it. I had my 357 a couple times while we have been hunting.. I just never told you lol..

Better to check with your CA,Tim. As the law reads,you aren't allowed to have anything in your possession that could be used to kill a rabbit. I would think this would include a weapon for CCW. Usually boils down to the CA's opinion though.

Hence the "can't be unconcealed" part.. The only thing a Ca agent can ask you to do is leave the area but you can tell them no. Before I got my ccw I talked to a lawyer, two CA agents and a judge who took the CCW course with me. There is NOTHING in the law that says you cannot carry personal protection if you have concealed permit while hunting. Now bringing a gun out to a CA area without a CCW or brandishing it, is a crime.
God isn't real, Beer is good and people are crazy, there I fixed it.

HatterasBob

Post by HatterasBob »

Who can apply for a Sportsman’s Firearm Permit?

An individual who is age 18 or older and is licensed to hunt, trap or fish, or who has been issued a permit relating to hunting dogs, may apply for a Sportsman's Firearm Permit by submitting a completed application along with the required fee to the county treasurer's office. The permit shall be issued immediately and be valid throughout this Commonwealth for a period of five years from the date of issue for any "legal firearm", when carried in conjunction with a valid hunting, furtaking or fishing license, or permit relating to hunting dogs. The issuances of a Sportsman’s Firearm Permit allows the individual to carry a firearm if such persons are actually hunting, taking furbearers, fishing or training dogs, or are going to the places where they desire to hunt, take furbearers, fish, or train dogs during the regular training season, or returning from such places. A Sportsman's Firearm Permit is NOT a License to Carry a firearm concealed.