what would you guys do

A general forum for the discussion of hunting with beagles, guns, clothing and other equipment and just talking dawgs! (Tall tales on hunting allowed, but remember, first liar doesn't stand a chance)

Moderators: Pike Ridge Beagles, Aaron Bartlett

FetchingPixels

Post by FetchingPixels »

You think I did something bad by adopting a beagle and giving him an apartment to live in? I opened up my home to him so I didn't see him DEAD.
You'd rather see your beagles DEAD?

I certainly think that you are living in the *past*. I don't believe any breed should only be for "House Dogs." Any dog no matter how big or small that I open my home to will be a house dog.

I'm sorry I'm just not interested in breeds such as a Chihuahua, and would never own one. Infact a beagles the smallest I've ever had. If thats your biggest concern about 'beagles' living in an apartments, than I truely feel bad for you.

I realize what he was bred for and that I can't give him that but I am on a waiting list for a tracking class to open up. It's the best I can do. And I don't think I should be made to feel guilty because I don't have a 200 acre farm. I don't have much and what I do have I strive to make sure that I have a happy dog, and I honestly think that he appreciates it.

hardtack

jake

Post by hardtack »

:shock:
Last edited by hardtack on Wed Jun 18, 2008 12:40 am, edited 1 time in total.

FetchingPixels

Re: dogs

Post by FetchingPixels »

allen keller wrote:pixels at first i was thinking jake was a lucky dog now i think it would be better for him to have been put down. it is now clear that you know very little about hounds or hunting. a beagle is not lap dog, or will it ever be happy being one. you do come as off as bill baker stated;
I did not see this post and if I had, I'd surely of replied. Jake is as happy dog. His tail never stops wagging. I know he is grateful for me saving him and I believe he truely knows I did. He's very attached to me. My beagle is not a lap dog, infact I hate when people make dogs a fashion accessory. I admited I know little about hounds, so that's nothing new there. I came here to learn about beagles and learn about things I could do to make his life better. If you people are thinking i'm some big animal rights activist your wrong, I simply do what I can to live with myself for doing something good and decent in life that I truely care about. Nothing is more rewarding to me than seeing a homeless animal get a home. If that makes me an Animal Rights Activist then Ok fine, call me what you wish.

FetchingPixels

Re: jake

Post by FetchingPixels »

hardtack wrote:pixels i hope ole jake lives a long life, because you are going to need him, because with your bad temper and big mouth you will never get a man
I have a man of five years, thank-you and we are very happy. Bad temper, that's funny.. I've maturely handled this unlike some.

MIKE

Post by MIKE »

PIXELS, DON'T BREAK YOUR MATURE ARM PATTING YOURSELF ON THE BACK. THESE GUYS DON'T KNOW WHAT THEY'RE DOING, THEY HAVE ONLY BEEN AT IT FOR 40 YEARS. LOL YOU JUST KEEP ON GOING DOWN THERE & WORKING WHERE YOU GOT SOMEONE TO TELL YOU HOW THINGS ARE, BUT DON'T THINK YOU'RE DOING US A FAVOR, OUR DOGS AREN'T THERE. THAT'S THOSE APARTMENT DOGS YOU'RE WORKING WITH.
MIKE

HatterasBob

Post by HatterasBob »

Pixy, If that is a pic of Jake, I've got some bad news for you. Jake is NOT a Beagle!

HatterasBob

Post by HatterasBob »

Nathan,

Opening early can be a fault if the hound does account for it's game, but it sounds like your does more often then not. I bet this hound also produces most of your jumps. I think you would be foolish to get rid of her until you have something better. I'm sure there are many hunters that wouldn't have a problem with this fault. So if it bothers you, find someone it won't bother and sell her.

FetchingPixels

Post by FetchingPixels »

Whatever. This thread is so stupid and pointless now.

Mike, because of my origional comment of a reply to somebody that sold their dog for whatever reason that it seemed like some dogs are disposable here...that everybodys panties get in a bunch.. I understand that Some hell probably most hunters take excellent care of their beagles/pack. I'm just saying that their are a lot in the shelter and from posts on here they sometimes seem disposable as an outsider looking in.

HatterasBob, your a complete idiot.

Anyways I'm pretty much done with this thread because some people aren't comprehending what I mean anyways, and it's pretty boring now. Have fun.

Honey Pot Hounds

Post by Honey Pot Hounds »

Seriously guys, ease up a little. Most Beagles are happy anywhere they are getting FOOD, Love and attention. My dogs are fit and love to run but they also love to come cuddle up in my LAP.
Cindy

Join the fight to keep your guns & Beagles
http://capwiz.com/naiatrust/home/
Created to fight bad legislation and defend the victims of animal and environmental extremism.
WE NEED YOU!

backyard beagler

Post by backyard beagler »

if you don't like the dog get rid of her if you think that may be a mistake leave her at home for a month or so and see how your other dogs perform, I have the same problem nothing like a mouthy bitch to upset things :bash:

AlabamaSwamper

Post by AlabamaSwamper »

Good lord, how this post got out of hand.

First off, beagles can be pets and not rabbit dogs. Is it good for the breed? NO....but, I'm assuming this little guy is fixed so what is the problem? She is taking care of the dog, it is fixed and everyone is happy. The dog may very well never run a rabbit, but hey, I'm sure there have been several dogs bred by breeders here than never ran a rabbit either. As long as he don't find his way to the gene pool, what is the freakin problem???

Second, Pixels, please read this carefully, PLEASE.

You don't understand what we are saying so I'll give you an example.

I have 9 beagles. Actually only 7 are gun dogs, one pup and one cull. Now, let's say I start this pup and she is to slow. Remember, I watched this pup being born, raised her and watched her grow up into a young adult female. If something happened to this dog, I would be torn. However, if this female (that my girlfriend loves to death) doesn't turn out after she starts running, then I have no choice but to let her go. She can't run in the pack and I don't have time to hunt her alone and still hunt 8 more dogs. Beagles are pack dogs anyway. So, in her best interest, I would sell her to someone who has dogs her speed. In that way, she gets to do what she was born to do and someone gets a fine hound. We all win.

Disposable is a cruel word. They are not "disposable" by any means. We have to pick carefully what we keep because our bloodlines and gun packs depend on it. Like Gbeagle said, "one man's trash is another man's treasure"

Pixels, we love our dogs as much as you love your's. We put 1000's of hours in these hounds throughout their lives. WE think a lot about of our dogs also, don't believe me? Go look at prices of trained dogs and pups.

Yes, we also occassionlly have to cull one. WHen I say cull, I mean put the sucker down. 99% of these are shy or mean hounds who have no place on this earth. A simple .22 bullet behind the ear is quick and painless, even though I had one that deserved to be tar and feathered. He was a deer hound.

So please understand that we do things that is best for the breed. If we didn't, this breed would go the way of several others who are no good for what they are originally used for.

So, all this being said, some of you need to lighten up on her and Pixels, you need to understand our world a little better. Join a local beagle club, there are several near you. (check your "hi" post)

If you want to discuss this further, my email address is in my profile. I can help you understand this without insults on this board. If you want to talk to a female instead, I can point you to some good women who raise hunting beagles. TO understand our world is to open the door to great things for you and your dog.

But be careful, you'll want more dogs if you get to involved. lol ;)
"No stronger bond exist than that between a man and his dog."

Link to RabbitDawg board. (Old Southernbeagles board)
http://www.excoboard.com/exco/index.php?boardid=6643

lee ga

Post by lee ga »

hi ashlee, i understand your concern. i wrote you a long reply in an effort to discuss those concerns. unfortunatley the reply was lost before it was posted. ashlee, some of the posts on this board will seem cold hearted. when someone says they don't like a beagle and wants to sale it, it looks as if they are trying to discard the hound for no good reason. thats hardly the case in most situations. what the person is really trying to say, is the beagle does not fit into the pack that they are hunting with. alabamaswampers example above is a good one. most hunters are selective breeders and have a goal in mind when raising pups. beyond being a good companion, the beagle must perform multiple functions, run a rabbit, and improve our bloodlines. running a rabbit and improving a bloodline are two very complicated things. not all beagles will work out for us. the ones that don't , we try to place in a good home with another hunter that likes that particular style of hound. you can also email me with any questions you have and im sure others feel the same.
Last edited by lee ga on Tue May 23, 2006 12:17 pm, edited 1 time in total.

FetchingPixels

Post by FetchingPixels »

AlabamaSwamper & lee ga

I know I said I was through with this thread but kind posts I will reply to. Thankyou for explaining to me more on how the hunting world works a little more. I do apologize to everybody on here for using the world disposable. I wasn't intending to be cruel to people who truely love their dogs, and do the best they can for them. I'm very sorry to anyone I offended with that My dog is fixed, I got him fixed shortly after I adopted him. I plan on joining a local beagle club as soon as I can Thank-you very much AS for your kindess and willing to help educate me on my dogs breed. Lee ga, I hate when that happens, so I always click copy and paste before I try to put through a long reply. Thankyou for your kindness aswell. :) I really hope in the future to add many more dogs to my family when I move to my own home in about 2 years. Thanks again.

Windkist

Post by Windkist »

[quote="AlabamaSwamper"]Good lord, how this post got out of hand.

First off, beagles can be pets and not rabbit dogs. Is it good for the breed? NO....but, I'm assuming this little guy is fixed so what is the problem? She is taking care of the dog, it is fixed and everyone is happy. The dog may very well never run a rabbit, but hey, I'm sure there have been several dogs bred by breeders here than never ran a rabbit either. As long as he don't find his way to the gene pool, what is the freakin problem???

quote]

Thank you Alabama swamper for your kind and decent post. I have been reading this thread and am shocked at the attitudes of some on here. A little patience and kindness goes a long way. Personal insults have no place.

Leah Bertagnolli
Windkist Beagles
http://www.windkist-utah.com

AlabamaSwamper

Post by AlabamaSwamper »

Being a member of several boards, I know how things get out of hand and quick.

Both sides went overboard, either the use of the wrong words, a misunderstanding or just being plain rude. Either way, it should have never gotten that far.

I have been known to shoot off at the mouth (or keyboard) without thinking and I looked stupid for it. I try not to do that anymore.

My offer still stands to Pixels if she wants to know anything else and that goes for anyone new to the world of beagling. I may say things that you don't want to hear but I'll tell the truth. Go to Southern's board and see what the truth got someone.
"No stronger bond exist than that between a man and his dog."

Link to RabbitDawg board. (Old Southernbeagles board)
http://www.excoboard.com/exco/index.php?boardid=6643