Snake Bites

A general forum for the discussion of hunting with beagles, guns, clothing and other equipment and just talking dawgs! (Tall tales on hunting allowed, but remember, first liar doesn't stand a chance)

Moderators: Pike Ridge Beagles, Aaron Bartlett

Alabama John

Post by Alabama John »

Boomer Ha, Ha,

I'll bet you're right!!!

You should see what all is in the truck I hunt and trial out of. Sorta like one of those old timey rolling stores if you are old enough to remember them with all the stuff stacked up and hanging all over the outside.

I'm going to add some benedryl too. Sure can't hurt!

Ranger

Post by Ranger »

Right on Bob. When I suspect that one of my dogs has been bitten by a snake, I seek help from a vet just as quickly as I can. I do not depend on home remedies. I am not saying that none of them will work but, I am not willing to take a chance on losing a valuable dog. Like Bob said, the majority of snake bites are not fatal but, you have no way of knowing that in advance when a dog is bitten. There are several factors that can affect the severity of a snakebite, such as, the size of the snake, the amount of venom injected, the period of time since the snake last bit something, how deep the fangs are driven into the flesh, etc. In answer to the original question, I had never heard of using turpentine for a snakebite before this question came up.

BJK

Post by BJK »

John,

I just wanted to say the home remedy ear mite recipe works just fine. And cheap too. I just mixed a fresh batch and will clean the entire kennel on Friday, whether they need it or not. Thanks a lot.

Oh yeah, Fanny's pups go into the small starting pen on the last week of this month and into a 40 acre cottontail pen a week after. I'm keeping my fingers crossed.

BJK

hotdog

Post by hotdog »

Guys I got a good one for you on ear mite meds.I have a freind who coon hunts and the only thing he will use on his coon hounds for ear mites is Brake Fluid.I've personaly watched him pour it in there ears,I used to make fun of him and ask him how many miles did he let them go before he changed the oil. :shock:

Alabama John

Post by Alabama John »

Hotdog

Someday I want to go to Pike County and Pikeville, Kentucky.

I have it pictured that you can just stop your car anywhere on any road and get out and hear a pack of Beagles running.

Pikeville must be as big as Atlanta. Must be the Beagle capitol of the World and everyone has a computer and knows how to use it, and a pen full of good Beagles at every house.

Just watch these boards and see how many are from Pikeville and Pike County. Ya'll must have a lot of fun hunting, running and trialing together.

That's great!!! I told my friend Gabe Stockton this one night this week and he said I was about right.

Nate, sure would like to hear those Fanny pups run. Know you are excited. Isn't your good stud dog the sire?

DRamey

Post by DRamey »

Alabama, welcome to come up here any time. It's not quite so full of beaglers as it sounds on this board, but we have several. Pike County is the largest county in Ky, covering the entire eastern tip of the commonwealth. The population is only around 85,000 though, so there are plenty of places to leave civilization. Strip mining has become the best friend of the beagler here, turning the peaks of timbered mountains into huge fields of grasses, sericea, and blackberry patches sometimes several acres in size. The biggest problem (not a problem if you've dealt with it all your life) is that you need 4-wheel drive. It is almost a lifestyle here. They call WV "almost Heaven" because it borders KY! Have a good day, and I have enjoyed this discussion immensely. Guys, always be open-minded!!!!!!!! If something you know to be true is challenged, discuss it. IF it is something you have simply accepted as fact and don't know why, question it. Being proved wrong isn't a slap at your manhood. Why, Lynn Perkins doesn't even know what manhood is yet!!!!!!!

hotdog

Post by hotdog »

I would rather live in Kentucky than any place in the world. I live in area were I can let one of my oldest and best owned beagle loose without concern of her getting hit by a car or neighbors complaining. I can sat on my front porch and sip on a cup of coffee as I hear her run after the cotton tails across the road on the hillside or runs behind my house. She is a copper nose beagle, not even papered. She was the best of all my beagles. Now that she is older, she is getting slower and hearing is failing her, I can still say," Kate, get in there girl," and she goes were I point.
Some of my best running has been sitting on my front porch with my wife and boys listening to her . She was a dandy in her days and as long as her health holds up, I will continue to let her loose in my front yard and let her run her heart out as I enjoy listening to her bawl mouth.
The funny thing about Kate is when she is done doing her job, she will come and sit on the swing for a while and let you know when she ready to be put in the kennel. She will walk you to her kennel door. If by chance, you have walked in for a while, she will come to the front door as-if-to-say,"I have done my job, put in my kennel please." ;)
Thats just a typical day at my house in Kentucky and we would love to have ya.

MikeSmithWV

Post by MikeSmithWV »

Hey Ramey, Pike County is supposed to be in WV.... When they surveyed the state lines, the surveyors was supposed to follow the Levisa Fk. but when they came upon the Tug Fk. they followed it instead. This is true and in History books.. WV was definetly blessed on this one. I guess this is a perfect example that All things do work for the GOOD.....

Alabama John

Post by Alabama John »

Thanks for the invites! I really want to come up with my wife and see the country and run some dogs when it gets cooler. I'm just afraid they might not be fast enough to keep up with ya's dogs. It'd be fun anyway.

Also do ya'll dance like Jesco ( Jesse, Elvis) White, the"Greatest Mountain Dancer ever"?

Hotdog, I believe heaven will be a lot like that! You're a blessed man.

J.C. Blair

Post by J.C. Blair »

Hey Alabama John,
If you do go up that way up in Pike co. watch out for DRamey and Perkins especially, i think they are brothers that were separated at birth.They kind of remind me of Marcel and Newgene Ledbetter.LOL I am originally from there too, I ended up moving away a few years ago, due to the lack of jobs for a young man like myself. It was a great place to grow up as a kid and I wouldnt take anything for that. But the guys are right, there is nothing like hearing a pack of 10 or 15 beagles burning a mountainside up, and hearing those guys up there telling all those tall tales.lol If there were the job opportunities down there like there was where I am living now, you couldnt budge me out of the holler. lol They occasionally open the gates up there and let me back in from time to time.
EAST RIDGE KENNEL
2010 Natl CH LPGRCH East Ridge Black Phantom
East Ridge The Dark Side
Weedeater Foxy
East Ridge Allie Gator
East Ridge Tomahawk

Blu Tick Beagler

Post by Blu Tick Beagler »

Last year I attended 42 field trials in 10 states. Pike County was at the top of my most favorite list, right there with Sod Wv(this is for Mikey). I had more fun at these trials than anywhere in the country! I have 1 good story that I have to share.. I won't use any names.. Just say I was going to my first eastern Ky trial and I called for directions. After directions I asked are there any hotels nearby. He replied" We have a couple in town, but there is one of those fancy hotels in Pikeville(he covered the phone) and said honey what is the name of that fancy hotel" She replied"Super 8"
I had no idea what I was in for! :D
B.T.A.K Kennels
Paul and Bobbie Prevot

DRamey

Post by DRamey »

Hot dog, where you live? I'll come up and sit on the porch with you and bring my slow 6-year old Northway male up to run (your worst nightmare??) Alabama, where did you hear of Jesco White, the pride of Boone County, WV? I learned about him on a public TV documentary. I know some people that know where he is from and have seen him walking the roads up there. Last I heard he was just about all in from huffing and liquor (likker?). Mike Smith, that's pretty interesting about the Tug Fork, I never knew that. I guess the folks in Martin Co. feel about the same way you do! Hey Chad Blair, they don't let you back in Pike, I heard you had to sneak in the back way after nightfall. By the way, that Super 8 is right fancy. Even got a indoor outhouse with plumbin' and all! I hear tell they got a spikket stickin' right out the wall that you can stand under and warsh yeseff.

guest 1

snakebites

Post by guest 1 »

Dont mean to get of subject but is this home remedy for ear mites and what affect does it have on your dogs

Alabama John

Post by Alabama John »

Guest, you have to sign your name so if you ever say something wrong you'll catch the flack like the rest of us. Come on, join in.lol

Ramey, we have a large camp of river rats down here that he is a folk hero to. They have two tapes made of Jesco and play and show them a lot.

Thank goodness our local Alabama characters are not as well known.

Well except for Swamper, he's famous everywhere!

MikeSmithWV

Post by MikeSmithWV »

Paul, Thats the funniest thing I've ever read on a mssg. board....

As for Jesco White, We don't claim him here in Boone County !! I have seen him around but thats about it. In all seriousness, people from other States know more about Jesco than we do, unless you're the local sheriff....

Alabama John, The people from Alabama that I met, would fit in perfectly with Eastern Kentuckians. I say that as a compliment. My dad still tells everyone of the Sothern Hospitality that we recieved in Alabama this past winter. Your dogs may or may not need time to adjust to the climbing of Mountains instead of swimming swamps. When I say mountains, I mean patches of serecia on top of 3000' cliffs (with a very small exageration).

<KY HEALTH WARNING> Do not use any slanderous statements about the Alabama Crimson Tide's football team....

<AL HEALTH WARNING> Do not use any slanderous statements about the Kentucky Wildcat's Basketball team.....