what ever happened to the $150 pup

A general forum for the discussion of hunting with beagles, guns, clothing and other equipment and just talking dawgs! (Tall tales on hunting allowed, but remember, first liar doesn't stand a chance)

Moderators: Pike Ridge Beagles, Aaron Bartlett

T LEE

Re: what ever happened to the $150 pup

Post by T LEE »

Pups are a real gamble in my opinion. Regardless of what they are off of. I've always had better luck just buying a grown dog from a reputable breeder. It may seem expensive but it turns out to be cheaper in the long run.

From what I've seen ....Out of ten pups there will be 5 that make just average dogs ( but Not trial worthy) , 2 will be just mediocre , 2 culls and Maybe just one turns out exactly what you wanted from the cross.
Last edited by T LEE on Fri Aug 10, 2012 8:42 am, edited 1 time in total.

gwyoung

Post by gwyoung »

T Lee, interesting observations. and I think for the most part you are correct. Your estimation of one pup out of ten being a good one in my opinion is high with some programs and low with others. In my opinion it also goes to the heart of the matter of why folks don't like paying high prices for pups, they know from experience that most pups in their area and from programs they are familiar with are not going to work out. The problem with a question like this is what some would consider good others would cull. Don't want to highjack this thread but it gives me an idea for one, thanks.

Casey Harner

Post by Casey Harner »

BCBeagles wrote:
I was dealing in average hounds, they would be effective for the most part, but I found a few that really suited me and I am now much happier with the results. IS THERE A BIG GAP BETWEEN A FCGD AND A VERY GOOD HOUND??? NO, but there is a gap, you just have to look closely.

Only gap I think you will see between a FCGD and a good hound, is money!!
Isaiah 53:5
Philippians 3:13-14

RIP Harner's Briar Bashin' Blaze

Coal Run Jody
Harner’s Bush Whacker

Speed is fine, accuracy is final.

Ron Conroe

Post by Ron Conroe »

:check: for casey

jimb1069

Post by jimb1069 »

Only gap I think you will see between a FCGD and a good hound, is money!![/quote]

I think this is what people say that don't own a FCGD
MLB

warddog

Post by warddog »

:check: :check: Casey There's also a difference in being able to see the hardware and titles because they are gotten publicly and the number of rabbits consistantly circled privately! Once in the public eye the $$$$$$ soar.

stavemillbeagles

Post by stavemillbeagles »

I've seen lots of dogs with different titles that just didn't produce what i was looking for so to me wheather titled or not if they are consistently producing what i am looking for in a dog then i have no problem paying extra for the pup.

If i'm in the market for a pup then i'm going to buy the best pup i can for my money
Chris & Yum Yum Wells
http://huntingbeagle.gotop100.com/out.php?id=431

Haters Motivate Me!!

Jwagner

Post by Jwagner »

Well I should probably start with I dont trial. But anyone who thinks guys that dont trial dont feed and hunt the quality of a fc or better. that dont need excuses made for their rabbit dog ability. then you are pretty naive. I have quit a few friends that run trials and I respect them for how much money it cost to travel and compete in the sport they love. But field trialers are not the only ones who have high standards for a hound. But back to the original post I have paid anywhere from 300 to free and have had varied results amongest all them. But ron said it perfect it boils down to how much time you put into them. Hell I know a guy that tried to trade a couple year old ranger truck for 75 dollar dog.

jimb1069

Post by jimb1069 »

I say the difference is they have at least proven their abilities to an audience instead of just one person...especially the proven reproducers and thats why I would expect the price increase over the untitled hound. It just simply hasn't proven itself to the public. Not to say its any less of a hound but what do you base it on? Going to watch it one time? two times? Just doesn't compare to being tested against the best or producing litter after litter. I myself would roll the dice with the proven hounds and expect to pay more because of the history with the titled dog. If titles mean nothing why is there a big crowd trying to get them?
MLB

Casey Harner

Post by Casey Harner »

jimb1069 wrote:Only gap I think you will see between a FCGD and a good hound, is money!!
I think this is what people say that don't own a FCGD[/quote]

I think most field trialers that own a FCGD or two will say the say same thing. You can have a great hound that is trial material, but if you don't get him to the trials he will just be that good hound in your kennel.
Isaiah 53:5
Philippians 3:13-14

RIP Harner's Briar Bashin' Blaze

Coal Run Jody
Harner’s Bush Whacker

Speed is fine, accuracy is final.

Mapel Valley Kennels LLC.

Post by Mapel Valley Kennels LLC. »

Just a quick question for ya boys. My standards are just sometimes to high. But if my dogs can beat the best on the circut and still produce then are they the best? I had a conversation just last night. I love too run my dogs with every ounce of weight in them. But then again i like too compete every blue moon. I just think that it is what it is, i found years ago i could buy a street rod a heck of a lot cheaper than build it. I also still think 70%-80% percent have little to no true understanding of how to produce dogs , and do so for the buck. Not the bang. I sometimes wonder what the heck are they thinking whan i see upcoming crosses. Kinda humorous actually. :lol: So yes Ron the era of cheap hounds are next to over. Jmho.
When the moment of truth arrives, the point of preparation has passed.
Old School, Full Throttle ,No Bottle.

bigdogpace

Post by bigdogpace »

what is missing as well here is the fact that just because a dog has a title don't mean it will reproduce ever rabbit dog is not a stud dog and every stud dog is not a rabbit dog . granted if u c dogs dogs that cross after cross r producing then if u like that type dog expect to pay more for pups but i agree with troy lee a running dog n long run is better if u can afford it. and there r a lot of old back woods breeders who hold just as high a standard as branko or anyone else for that matter should that make there pups any less valuable i don't think so n some cases it make's them more valuable to me anyway title or no title makes me no difference to me n what i pay for a dog what makes the difference is what he can do n field .
BIGDOGPACE

chapkosbeagles

Post by chapkosbeagles »

All I was saying to buy a dog out of a fc male is alot easyer to get than one out of a fc bitch

gunslinger

Post by gunslinger »

Beaglers are behind the times when it comes to selling pups, these days coonhound pups, hogdog pups, are bringing way more than 150$. What makes you think beagles are worth any less. I'm way prouder of my dogs than that and have too much time and work into them. By the time you get a pup to weaning age shots, feed, time, papers you aint gonna come out ahead at 150$. Maybe I'm a little picky but I dont want a pup from somebody that don't think no more of their dogs than that.

BCBeagles

Post by BCBeagles »

So every "good hound" could finish if the right guy with the cash had him. Why are there so few FCGD's out there? What I meant is that a good hound can compete with a FCGD anyday, but the FCGD's I have seen showed a consistancy that you just won't see every day, JMO.

I will tell you this, I took a good hound out to run with Steve Mullen and FCGD Green Bay Walk on, and ole Jake took a butt thumping! No excuses, a well run in FCGD probably is going to get it done most of the time, hence the title they wear.

I am in NO WAY discrediting the scrutinizing hardcore hunter, because that is what I am, but the trialers see specific things that make a hound excell in trials and that is the ability they may have, I sure as heck don't have that. Yes it takes major cash and time finish a hound I would definitely say, to end with the original question, I would pay twice as much for a pup out of two FC's as I would for a hound down the road. Does that make the hound any better, YOU BET not, but the quality is there if it comes out.

This is a good post by the way!